Combat Abilities window not showing

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by Doyoueverquest, Oct 4, 2021.

1. Doyoueverquest New Member

Hello, I can't seem to open up my "Combat Abilities" window no matter how much I try. I've rebound it to many different keys, tried to toggle it on a different character as a melee to see if it was class specific, and also tried clicking on the Combat Abilities button when hovering on the Actions drop down menu when pressing the EQ button but nothing pops up. Every other window seems to work just fine.
  2. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

Sounds like it got minimized. Close all other windows on your screen or move then all to one side or just get them out of the way so you have an empty screen

Then bring up the CA window (ALT C) and look for a little tiny line.

What can happen with some of the windows is the lines shrink up and then it gets minimized to where its only like a 1 inch little bar.

If you can see that then you can work with opening it from there or pulling the lines so it gets bigger again
    Yinla likes this.
  3. Doyoueverquest New Member

I tried for a good 5-10 minutes, while making sure I was pressing the correct toggle hotkey, and it still wasn't popping up sadly. Very frustrating :(
  4. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

Perhaps your hot key is not working correctly. Try using the Alt c. Here is a pic of how small it could be

[IMG]
  5. Gialana Augur

The combat ability window is class specific. If you have a class that doesn't have disciplines that are learned by clicking on tomes, you can't open the combat ability window on that character. If you have a class with disciplines and can't find your combat ability window, keep reading :)

I'm not well versed in the UI, but I played around with editing my character's UI file. It seems you need to edit the file before you launch EQ, otherwise your changes could be clobbered with whatever is in memory. Look for a file in your EQ directory named UI_<character>_<server>.ini. Mine is in C:\DBG\EverQuest\

-- Open this file with a text editor

-- Find the section under [CombatAbilityWnd]. When changing properties, make sure they're below [CombatAbilityWnd] and above the next window, which will also be in brackets. On one of my characters, there are spaced between the last property and the next window, but on another character, there are no spaces, which makes it more difficult to avoid properties for the wrong window.

-- At least for now, change the following if they aren't already set:
    Alpha=255
    FadeToAlpha=255
    Show=1
    Border=1

If Show=0, it means the window is closed. This flips between 1 and 0 when you use whatever keyboard shortcut you assign to toggling the combat window (mine is alt + c).
    You can also make sure the window isn't minimized. The property will depend on whether you're in windowed mode or full screen mode. Replace <something> with Windowed for windowed mode or the appropriate screen resolution, something like 1280x720 for full screen mode.

Minimized<something>=0
    If it equals 1, that means it's currently minimized.

Now you can try starting EQ and logging in. If you still can't find the combat window, maybe it's off your screen. Close EQ again, reopen the UI file, and go back to the combat ability window section. Set :

XPos<something>=0
    YPos<something>=0

That should put the window in the upper left corner of the screen or window. You can increase the numbers to move the window to the right (XPos) and down (YPos).

I hope that helps.
  6. Doyoueverquest New Member

Oh I didn't know it was class specific :oops: I tried making a shadow knight earlier and it wouldn't pop up however I just tested it with a monk and it seems to be working fine. Nowhere in the tutorial or wiki does it state anything about the combat ability window and whether or not it was class specific so I didn't know! Thank you for the clarification :)
  7. Gialana Augur

Shadowknights get the combat ability window. The only classes without combat abilities are casters (Enchanter, Magician, Necromancer, Wizard) and priest (Cleric, Druid, Shaman). All other classes can open the combat ability window even before they scribe their first tome. I just tested this by making a shadowknight (with a new name so it didn't accidentally use an existing UI file). In both the jail with Arias and Gloomingdeep tutorial zone, I was able to toggle the combat abilities window.

Just to be sure we're on the same page, I'm referring to the window in this image.
    [IMG]

If you're still not able to find the combat abilities window on your shadowknight, and you're not comfortable editing your UI file (note that UI is captial u capital i for user interface, not UL), you can try moving your UI file (UI_<character>_<server>.ini) out of your EverQuest directory. Do this before you launched EQ. Then when you start EQ and log into your character, you should be offered the option to copy another character's UI file or stick with the default.

If you can now toggle the combat abilities window on your shadowknight, then there is probably something wrong with your UI file.

Also, I suggest diagnosing this with the default UI, in case you're using a custom UI:
    /loadskin default 1
  8. Doyoueverquest New Member

Yes that is indeed the window! Weirdly it seems to work on the shadowknight too now, there must've been some kind of user error on my part there. I just didn't know previously that Combat Abilities were class restricted and couldn't find any information about that on my own. I was originally confused because it didn't work on my main character which is a Shaman and I also could've sworn it also didn't work when I tested on the shadowknight before. Anyway, it seems to be fine now and you cleared it up for me which helped a lot, thank you!
    Stymie and Gialana like this.