Systemwide Message is Breaking Immersion

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Brontus, Oct 2, 2021.

1. Brontus EQ Player Activist

When we inhabit Norrath, we are immersed in a fantasy virtual world. The systemwide message part of "SYSTEMWIDE MESSAGE: Phinigel Autropos has been defeated by a group of hardy adventurers!" is jarring and breaks immersion. It needlessly erodes the suspension of disbelief that is critical to the escapism that a MMORPG is supposed to give the player.

When I see this broadcast countless times each day, it feels to me like we are in the Tron video game or in the Matrix. It's an archaic holdover from the 1990's and all text games like MUDs.

Is there any way that DBG can remove the "SYSTEMWIDE MESSAGE" part and just broadcast:

Phinigel Autropos has been defeated by a group of hardy adventurers! Please congratulate Timmy on his great achievement!

I think the only time "SYSTEMWIDE MESSAGE" is appropriate is when the servers are coming down for scheduled or emergency maintenance. Thanks for listening.
    Duder, Kaenneth, Winnowyl and 2 others like this.
  2. Jumbur Improved Familiar

I agree, "system messages" should be reserved for technical issues.
    Angahran, cadres, Kaenneth and 3 others like this.
  3. Wyre Wintermute I'm just a butterly dreaming I'm a man

Since every server has AoC access now, I don't think we really need to see systemwide kill announcements anymore. Part of their existence was to make it known when a raid encounter was killed, so it would be harder to monopolize said spawn. The other part was more about flavor for TLP guilds getting "credit" for their accomplishment.

It really can just go away these days (especially since the AoC patch) and simply leave the barrier weakening messages.

I haven't actively been on live in quite some time, but the systemwide spam on popular raid evenings for TLPs.. it's pretty bad.... more so when they're almost all "an ornate chest has been defeated by: blah blah blah" That tells people nothing anyways.
  4. Act of Valor The Newest Member

Being immersed in Everquest in 2021 is interesting. I don't think I've been immersed in this game since SOE let you alt-tab eqgame.exe.
    Herf and Aenvar like this.
  5. Nolrog Augur

You know, I have thought this for a long time.

Either remove <SYSTEMWIDE MESSAGE> or change it to something like <Ngreth, Communicator of Great Deads>
    cadres likes this.
  6. Sissruukk Rogue One

If you want true immersion, play in first person and hit F10 to take away your UI. Now you won't see any messages of any kind, won't see your health/mana/endurance, nor your extended target, etc. Do the command that takes away names above people's heads. That would be true immersion, because we don't go through life with a UI telling us what is going on around us (though, we are close with everyone's faces staring at smartphones all the time)..
    Tatanka and Nennius like this.
  7. Cidran Augur

A very, very long time ago, immersion used to be one of the greatest, strongest points of Everquest. That's why so many people remember it, even after 20+ years.

Sadly, not anymore... But still a great game.
    Duder likes this.
  8. Randel Flag Elder

seems like this should be in TLP forum not here, i can't remember the last time i saw a system message on live.
  9. Viper1 Augur

muh merzion es brokens!
  10. Nennius Curmudgeon

And no maps or walkthroughs. True immersion is a myth in a video game.
  11. Herf Augur

Just put systemwide messages filter output in a spare tab you never look at. Like the ones I have for 'others melee' and 'you being missed'.
    Lisard likes this.
  12. Gnomereaper Augur

If it's a roleplaying problem, perhaps the developers could create a new God, such as Selos. That way the announcements have a direct Narrator God in Selos.
  13. Duder Augur

Maybe I've missed it. What does creating a new God have anything to do with <Systemwide Mesage>? Your idea would have made sense if you said the God's name were "Systemwide", otherwise, I dunno what the heck yer talkin bout!
    Aenvar and Nennius like this.
  14. Wyre Wintermute I'm just a butterly dreaming I'm a man

?I used to have mine in the spam/ignore window (now tab)... after getting hit (badly) by two "immediate server shutdown's" and not seeing the broadcast, I brought it back to the front.

Immersion aside (cause eh?) It's just annoyingly spammy. They could just set it so if XPAC UU is available, not broadcasts from XPACS TT or SS or whatever and earlier do not occur. That would at least cut some of the spam down. And for reals, system wide announcements only really make sense for contestable targets. If it ain't open world, it shouldn't even have a broadcast. Leave the broadcasts to Open World targets, xpac defeated (first time message even on live, just like TLP's), and pertinent server info.

My point still stands about the stupid "ornate chest" messages tho.. cause those are just dumb.
    Accipiter likes this.
  15. Duder Augur

It isn't the spam they're referring to that is the problem. It is the <Systemwide_Message> prefix to the message.
  16. Denyu Lorekeeper

Up your immersion game, bro. It's a fellow adventurer or town crier spreading the news.
    Nolrog likes this.
  17. kizant Augur

Poor Systemwide does all that work for us and is never appreciated.
    Duder and Fenthen like this.
  18. The real Sandaormo Augur

Like in D&D when your friends Mom comes in the room and tells Dungeon Master Firelord to take out the trash or he's grounded. Pulled right into reality.
    demi, Sissruukk, Herf and 1 other person like this.
  19. Accipiter Old Timer

They need to add another filter for those messages. System Messages are needed. "Soandso killed Phinny" we don't need.
  20. Angahran Augur

Every 5 minutes whenever that stupid gnome race is active ?
    Fenthen likes this.