Why do Hunter?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Izzard of Bertox, Oct 2, 2021.

1. Izzard of Bertox Augur

Ive been told I'm crazy as S@#$; After an exhausting amount of time, I have completed hunter with the exception of about half of Sverag, which I'm doing now, and Floe in Frostcrypt.

Besides achievement points, a TON of bags I'll never use, and perhaps bragging rights, is there an incentive to do these? Having broke upwards past the 50K mark - I'm actually more of an achievement point nut than a category more specific like hunter. Am I indeed crazy?
    cygnet likes this.
  2. Cragzop Cranky Wizard

Some of my fellow guildees swear that by messing with these older achievements that they will be used like PoP, EoK, RoS hunter were for the TBL chase gloves.

Personally, I think they are just trying to fill the stuff out and give the TLP folks something to chase as well as giving the achievement point people something for their effort. I think the experience with the TBL chase items will limit cross expansion stuff (as in all the complaints).

I've gone back to Luclin specifically because of the upcoming expansion. I figure it cannot hurt to relearn the zones and some of those named mobs had weird spawn stuff.
  3. yepmetoo Abazzagorath

Why not do it?
    Jennre and Froglok like this.
  4. Randomized Augur

exactly
  5. Winnowyl Suffering is optional.

RoS Hunter had some of the Hero's AA's attached.
  6. Tucoh Augur

Note that there are no bragging rights earned from doing hunter. The rewards for hunter are fairly meager.

If you aren't having fun doing it, don't do it.

Personally i enjoy hunter in newer content. Except in a few cases by the time you really experience the area the named will spawn and you can move on. It's not as draining as trying to camp a rare drop or getting a bunch of the same aug for multiple characters.
  7. Skrab East Cabilis #1 Realtor

I hate them and don’t touch them. There’s no point, there’s not even a backstory behind the rare mobs. Give me some interesting lore and I’ll do it.
  8. Act of Valor The Newest Member

Hate is a strong word. What did Fippy ever do to you?
  9. Skrab East Cabilis #1 Realtor

Intentionally waste my time by adding in some 0.25% spawn chance to some rares.
  10. Wyre Wintermute I'm just a butterly dreaming I'm a man

There are a few "good" reasons for knocking them out... at least some of them. The HoT reward illusion, if you're an illusion nut.. the VoA mount (I don't remember if UF mount required hunter's), but there's a few reasons to knock some out. Unless someone is a self-proclaimed "collector" of a specific reward type... then naw, I personally wouldn't do more than a single set.

The real reward is tied to the expansion "mastery" achievement, where the Hunter portion is just a sub-req.. but e yeah.. maybe one here one there for most people and those that enjoy hunting all the rares? Hat's off to you doing something that makes EQ enjoyable.
  11. Fuelforfire Lorekeeper

Heroic AAs and bags to help out are always plus. Don't forget upgrades for people or tribute points for items. I always try to pick some bigger hunter zones to knockout when the bonuses are running for spawn rates.
    Froglok, Izzard of Bertox and demi like this.
  12. Eaedyilye More stonehive bixies.

Because it's something to do. I'm working on some old hunters right now, it's break from endless white walkers in TOV/COV.
  13. Izzard of Bertox Augur

Thanks for all the replies. :)
    Froglok likes this.
  14. Nolrog Augur

Are you having fun? That's all that matters. I have a friend that also likes to do every achievement, because he enjoys it, and I can't see any better reason than that.
    Froglok and Wyre Wintermute like this.
  15. Cicelee Augur

When the developers introduce the super augment that is based on achievement score, you will be way ahead of everyone. GJ!
    Froglok likes this.
  16. Sissruukk Rogue One

ToV earring requires hunter of ToV to progress past a certain point.
    Froglok and Tucoh like this.
  17. Tucoh Augur

I think they've said they have no plans to do this and no plans on adding rewards retroactively for the old (and really hard) hunter achievements.

My guess is they know that the spawn rates for many old named mobs are really low and the tables the older zones are like spaghetti. They've got no desire to go back and untangle it enough to fix it, so they don't want players to be given a real reason to do them. Same with achievement score where if they reward players for achievements, then players will get pissed when there is an achievement they are "stuck" on that is way too difficult or just broken.
    Raptorjesus5 likes this.
  18. Crystilla Augur

As folks have said, there are a number of rewards from various expansions (bags which have far more slots for your bank than normal ones you can make/buy or for alts ... hero vitality/etc. rewards ... illusions ... mounts ... some evolving gear items require it) and as others have said because it's always fun killing a named/dragon/rare mob or if you're a completionist.

Ultimately it comes down to whether you enjoy it or not.

I love completing hunter and zone achievements but really hate the mission achievements so don't care about those that much.
    Froglok likes this.
  19. Petalonyx Augur

The last several patches have included lots of fixes, additions, and adjustments to older hunters. Was this done to improve the TLP experience, to prep for a connected expansion feature, or just because devs have spare time? I don't think it was the last reason. The other two seem plausible.
    Coagagin, Yinla and Corwyhn Lionheart like this.
  20. Froglok Augur

Not crazy at all. In fact, imo, you are doing EQ right, by taking on challenges. Challenges are what make the game fun.

There are many reasons to do Hunters, unless you are one of the naysayers.

1) If you have TBL rares, one of them requires Hunter Achievements to progress it.

2) All those bags! The more recent the expansion, the bigger they get. They can add extra space on your toon, in your bank or in your shared bank. They are also Heirloom, so if you main can't use them in one of those 3 places, then surely your alts can.

3) Fun! Challenge! Something to do. If have played EQ forever, then your toon is likely max Level / AA and so forth. Hunters (and Achievements in general) are things you can do that you didn't do before. Hunters that are 15+ Levels back, can usually be done with just your toon and a merc.

4) Loot. Hunter MOB's do drop loot and a lot of that can be tributed, to help keep up your tribute. They can also drop items that are fun or useful, event today (such as click items, illusions, etc.).

5) Plat. Many players often complain of lack of Plat. Well, use Advanced Loot and loot stuff, especially stackable stuff, as you camped the named. You might be surprised as to how much you can end up with from an NPC Vendor... or selling the TS stuff in Bazaar (if you have a Bazaar mule)... or, how much you can save on raw materials in getting your own Tradeskills / Trophies maxed out.

6) Social aspect. Players helping Players. With Hunters, they are less time consuming to get done if you "team up" with others... either as a group and especially as a raid. Hunter kills credit across zones, so Players can group / raid together and all head to different Zones / Targets to hunt named (rares) at the same time.

7) Achievements / Achievements Points. Achievements / AP are the only real bragging rights that you can prove, in the game. Been there, done that, got the t-shirt. Even more, the Hunter Achievements contribute to higher level Achievements that can award special items that you can only get from those Achievements (Special AA;s, Buff Mounts, Buff Illusions, etc.). Completionists love them!
    Coagagin and Tucoh like this.