Addicted to the leveling process

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Randomized, Oct 1, 2021.

1. Randomized Augur

As the title says. I enjoy leveling characters and getting a feel for each of the classes (only missing a few now). But as soon as I get to 115 and get some ToV t1 gear, I lose all ambition to carry them on further.

Got a BST to 115, a Bard to 115, a Paladin in the next week or two, a Ranger at 111 right behind him, an SK and Warrior and Enchanter all sitting around 109-111.

Anyone else have this problem?
    Qelil likes this.
  2. Tucoh Augur

Randomized likes this.
  3. aozs Augur

Rather than specifically leveling, I'd say I find progression in EQ in general to be enjoyable. To me, that could mean leveling a new team to 115 (then spending some time exploring the capabilities of the team), working on long grinds (ie ToV earring), achievements, or trying to optimize mission burns or sustain grind DPS.

The main reason I'm on FV is for the exp bonus so I don't need to spend as much time on leveling/AA. Currently, I have 4 teams at 115 who have cleared TBL and ToV and working on a 5th:
    war/brd/shm/rog/bst/pal (main team, also done TBL/ToV/CoV challenger)
    sk/enc/dru/wiz/wiz/wiz
    pal/brd/shm/bst/mnk/rng
    pal/brd/clr/nec/nec/nec
    sk/brd/shm/bst/bst/war (currently 102)

I suppose you could say I also have this problem.

TBL challenger is far more difficult than those 2 at level 110 in TBL group gear, if you're looking for a meaty challenge. 3-boxing ToV challenger I think is doable, though I'm not sure CoV is technically possible without 4 player characters for Maximum Echo
    Randomized likes this.
  4. Elemental Augur

Lets see here.
    Account 1, 115 Magician, 115 Shadowknight, 115 Berserker, 100 rogue, 85 berserker, 80 berserker, 80 monk, 26 necromancer
    Account 2, 115 Magician, 115 Enchanter, 115 Shaman, 111 ranger,
    Account 3, 115 bard, 115 Beastlord, 115 necromancer, 110 magician, 102 cleric,
    Account 4, 115 Paladin, 115 Druid, 115 Magician, 85 wizard, 67 shaman
    Account 5, 115 cleric, 115 magician,
    Account 6, 115 cleric, 115 magician
    Account 7, 115 Enchanter, 110 magician,
    Account 8, 115 Shaman
    Account 9, 110 cleric
    Randomized likes this.
  5. Windance Augur

I find the leveling to be ok until we hit the 111+ hell levels.

At this point I've helped way too many returning members push to 115 for raids and its just such a PITA compared to when the level cap was 110.

I am NOT looking forward to seeing that carried further from 116-120.
    Skuz and Randomized like this.
  6. Randomized Augur

Ha, I don't think I'll ever acquire those, at least not any time soon. ToV, seems a bit tough for me still, even with a 115 BST and 115 Bard (neither of them overly geared and missing "decent" augs). We'll see what happens once the Paladin hits 115 though. I'm good with trash and singles, but as soon as an add jumps in, it becomes chaotic, and since I'm not overly familiar with the zones yet, I do happen to get a wanderer or two :(

TBL is horrible and I'm doing everything possible to avoid it lol

Sir....lol

I didn't think 111-115 was horrible. I did get two TA's for ToV progression on the BST and I swear I jumped 2 levels lol.
  7. demi Augur

ok lets see if i can remember all my toons .. I should really keep a list
    some of these accounts I just use for mules/storage and the use for loyalty although most I actually do play from time to time ..

the first 7 accounts are all Silver if they are not All access .. but I usually keep 4 to 6 All Access at any one time ..

Account #1 (Main) 115 Bst, 115 Warrior, 115 Pally , 115 SK , 115 Ench , 108 Druid, 92 Bard, 87 Cleric, 87 ranger , 85 wizard, 82 necro , 84 Mage, 57 Zerker(mule) .

Account #2 -115 Mage, 113 Ench , 101 druid, 99 bard, 94 Shaman, 92 Bst, 73 Necro

Account #3 - 115 RAnger, 115 Shaman, 75 Bst (mule) , 25 Druid
    Account #4- 115 Wizard, 113 Bard, 110 Mage, 98 Ranger, 88 Pally, 88 Monk, 90 Ench
    Account #5 - 109 Wizard , 106 Nec , 96 Druid, 95 Bard, 86 Shaman, 85 Mage
    Account # 6- 110 Cleric, 89 Nec, 87 Ench, 86 Wizard, 85 Druid
    Account #7 - 93 Mage, 96 Nec , 45 Wizard(mule)
    Account # 8 - 85 Pally (trader account)
    Account # 9 F2P - 85 Ranger , 85 Bard
    Account #10 F2P - 85 SK , 19 SK ( lol why i have 2 sk's I dont know ) I blame my son
    Account #10 F2P - 3 Zerker
    Account #11 F2P - 2 Bst
    Account #12 F2P - 2 Bst , 3 Bard
    Account # 13 F2P - 3 Bst
    Account #14 F2P - hah have not made a 14th yet , but I prolly will ;)

and I just took a screenshot of this list so i can remember .. yes I had to log in each of the 13 accounts .. like i said I have a ton of toons .. eventually those toons on the F2P accounts will mature or i'll make more .. I also use some of those as mules ..
    Randomized likes this.
  8. Schadenfreude Augur

Ranger has been my main character since 1999 and everything revolves around his needs which basically means every buff and tradeskill combination available so he gets the maxmimum amount of love and after that those characters that fill a core role get the most attention. I favour pet tanking and the Beastlord works better for me than the Mage did in previous expansions so this has led to me having several Shaman, Enchanters and Mages on various accounts in a fairly disorganized manner so that everyone can at least have some form of pet gear and buffs on tap. I've ended up with at least six Druids including two level 115s but only one Cleric (who probably wouldn't be level 115 if mercs cast the pure AC buff but that's another story.)

As I'm on FV and hopelessly addicted to the bazaar and /general so I also have the "guilt" of grabbing any upgrades or trinkets I see for alts that most likely don't need them and don't get played very often. It also doesn't help when you have a decently geared level 115 on an account as it throws a shadow over the other characters hence my SK has fairly poor gear and isn't anywhere near 115 because there's other characters on the account that I needed (sic) more. For reasons I cannot exactly remember (Brells for the priests and casters I suspect) I have a max level Paladin with decent weapons because there's not as much "competition" on that account.

I quite often see characters I've raided with reduced to buff/CoH bots or otherwise naked in bazaar but the worst I can say I've done to any of mine is letting them drop to silver as the tedium of buying Kronos from players became too much that particular week. Not being able to find enough tradable expansion tickets means two accounts with level 115 characters are now stuck at ToV and, frankly, throwing Kronos at them doesn't seem worth it right now.

Monk, Wizard and Warrior are the only classes I don't have beyond Heroics with a few dozen hours /played in the high 80s.
    Randomized likes this.
  9. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Best time to jump from 111 to 115 is when bonus xp event is running, do all 4 ToV group missions & you are a big chunk of the way or done.
    code-zero and Gialana like this.
  10. Nolrog Augur

As long as you are having fun, I don't see any problem at all
  11. Nolrog Augur

Should be 50% XP Bonus for 2 weeks, starting in ~2 weeks time.
    Skuz likes this.
  12. Tucoh Augur

Once your paladin gets combat ready and you learn to use him you're going to wonder why you waited so long to join the good life that only a plate tank can bring.
  13. Filter Augur

I COMPLETELY understand you! I get bored with a configuration or I think about doing tradeskills so that make me want to vomit. Then I'm off to make another alt or two. There is something very satisfying about getting those levels and all the aa's that come rushing in per level.

I have 6 accounts and I have 2 115 zerkers, 115 war, 2 115 sham, 115 bard, 115 chanter, 115 ranger, 115 monk, 115 druid, 115 cleric, 115 bst, 115 sk, 115 nec, 3 106 mages, 2 98 rogs, 2 93 wizzys. I know I'm forgetting some. The non lvl 115's hurt my eyes when I login to character select screen.
    On the sk I just finished him and had 30 or so ores from doing some missions. I TA'd him for everything and didn't turn the attack on at all so he his skills were from lvl 85. I made the all the gear and augs that he had looted. Ran the sk to a lvl 95 zone and got all of his skill ups on everything. Really don't know why I enjoyed doing that but it was fun and would do it again in a heart beat. So I get why you do this but I think I take to another stupid level.

Enjoy those alts!!
  14. code-zero Augur

Why do you think that this is a problem?
  15. Randomized Augur

Well I've had a Warrior or SK / Mage / Enchanter 3 box before which was awesome (granted, still wasn't playing current content at the time). Just trying out a new combo and hoping to hit current content this time around lol for 2 months before Luclin drops haha

Exactly this lol

Not a problem per se - but I do feel like I'm missing out on a big chunk of the game. But to each their own, my money, my playstyle I guess lol
  16. Viper1 Augur

115 is where the game is just getting started.
  17. Andarriel Everquest player since 2000

Yea i got all my characters to 115 with overseer! next getting them to 120 with the next expansion. I only kill stuff for aa's real xp is to slow and a big turn off. On my main i lose interest when all the aa's left are worthless aa's id never use like most of the focus ones and there super expensive to get in the first place.

Andarriel
    Randomized likes this.
  18. OlavSkullcrusher Augur

I've really hit a wall with my enjoyment of the game at max level. Some of it comes down to my playstyle and isn't the fault of the game designers. I box, for a variety of reasons, but not so seriously that I use any programs to help me do that. Thus, group missions from RoS and later tend to be hard for me. (I haven't actually managed to finish any RoS missions or ToV missions yet, after about a dozen attempts. Just Fight Fire and a couple Smoke trials from TBL, GMM - Darkness Howls, and such.) Mechanics in some of those missions make them hard to box and/or use mercs. (Mercs can't click on things at the right time, for one thing.)

I'd probably find more success playing just one character at a time, but I don't like PUGs much or sitting around waiting for a group or feeling obligated to stay for whatever time the rest of the group wants to do something. Mainly, I'm feeling pretty burnt out on EQ.
    Schadenfreude likes this.
  19. Qelil Augur

I'm glad you posted this and also for the replies I just read so far. Having fun however you want to is not a problem in my opinion. Rather than take this into something I want to know about that's related sort of, I think I will make a new post and maybe you guys can have a look and offer me some advice. I have at least of every class myself but we don't know where to go anymore, especially once the hot zones dry up. So I'll go post that now and hope you guys can give me some pointers. I'll call it, "Leveling Guide from 85 to 115?"