Please stop making timed group quests

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by BronkTwo, Sep 24, 2021.

1. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

Not having prestige gear is just an old excuse from 2013 when it was an issue but it is no longer valid. High stat gear was only available for All Access back then. So yes, if you could not wear it you were at a disadvantage. In 2013.

There is a ton of good augs and armor now in the game that is not prestige. Every special aug that drops in Hot Zones is not prestige, look at conflag armor/weapons....it is not impossible to get and maintain level 115 with non prestige.

If you want to be in a raid guild, then pony up the subscription cost so you can wear raid armor. Its that simple.

While this is an older post I like to refer to it often to help my F2P accounts make sure they are on track
    http://eqshadowknight.net/showthread.php?p=229070
    Flatchy and Nennius like this.
  2. Flatchy Court Jester

Miss the old SK web pages. Flame forum was a great time!
    Wyre Wintermute likes this.
  3. BronkTwo Journeyman

Thanks for this link.

This summarizes the problem here: "If you want to be in a raid guild, then pony up the subscription cost so you can wear raid armor. Its that simple."

I don't want to be in a raid guild.

Folks are making all kinds of assumptions.

Anyway, thanks to those who were helpful. I'm done here.
  4. Wyre Wintermute I'm just a butterly dreaming I'm a man

Heh... EQResouce has some nice things. It still has a long way to go to even get close to Zam or Raidloot.

The site is not intuitive. It lacks a lot of older content. There are fewer ways to browse/look up information. There's almost no real older content info (back to HoT really). There's very little commentary or community involvement. It costs 50% more AND requires PayPal.

Sure, there's a lot of good things about EQResource.. but there's no chance I'd drop Allah's (nor tell someone else they should) unless some other site can meet/exceed what they provide.
    Elyssanda and Tatanka like this.
  5. demi Augur

I agree with you 100% .. I like EQ resource , but there is not alot of info from actual players ie. comments on strats or mobs immunity's .. I do like they have step by step walkthru's of each step of a quest , however Zam has that also ..

Ive been using Zam (Alla, back then) for a long time and usually its my go to place if i want to read comments .. also Zam goes back to just about any expansion iirc .. whereas EQR only goes to HoT like Wyre mentions..

ive donated to both before and if i use a site I dont mind donating .. cash is a bit tight atm as expansion sales are here and upcoming expansions getting ready for pre-order so will have to wait till mid Nov prolly , but i'll sub again to both for a bit .. its only $9 for Alla for a year and $15/yr for EQR .. its not bad .. I dont sub every year but every few years i do ..
    $75 for I s B /2yr
    $15 EQR
    $9 Alla
    EQ subs/accounts
    EQ expansions/Accounts - we also now will have "Perks"
    EQ Perks $5

adds up .. but with all that it still pales in comparison for what i get out of EQ and what it would cost me if i were to go out to bars or out with the family 1 night a week ..
  6. demi Augur

oops double post .. why cant we delete ?
  7. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

Some can delete. DW was working on everyone having the rights to do that before he left. But at least he got it incorporated that we can all change our descriptor under our name.

Allah and EQ Resource are not the only guides out there. I also utilize Bonzz, Paul Lynch and Almars. I find a combination of a couple of them will answer most questions I have and provide a great walk thru. opps, and Fanra for Facts lol
    Stymie, Gialana and demi like this.
  8. Randomized Augur

No one assumed you wanted to be in a raid guild. That's why there's an "IF" added there.

I enjoy both, but it seems EQResource has the better walk-throughs from the times I've used it. Especially when it adds maps and locations. Thats the one up from Zam IMO. But it's also missing the comments from players like Zam has too. This for that I guess.
    BronkTwo likes this.
  9. demi Augur

I use Fanra sometimes , usually during Anniversary time .. and i also use Almars .. im not huge into TS although I have perused Bonzz TS guide and iirc pally guide as well .. and I think it was bonzz that had a really great right up on the Posky ..
    BronkTwo and Wyre Wintermute like this.
  10. Elskidor Augur

I've never had a problem with time quests until semi- recently. Some friends and I were tackling an RoS Howling Stone quest 'Trail of Discovery" and 24 hours seemed like plenty, especially since it normally wouldn't take but a couple hours. 5 hours later and the pages still hadn't dropped and it was time for bed though, lol. That was absurd but I guess it was just the RNG or a glitch, because the next time we tried it we got the pages in 30 minutes.

Mission timers seem fine to me. Even the slowest of groups can knock one out in that time frame and if they can't then perhaps the group isn't ready for that content.
    Skrab likes this.
  11. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

Bonzz stable cannot be beat (http://www.bonzz.com/mounts.htm) and his hero's forge armor is good also (http://www.bonzz.com/herosforge.htm) and he is so easy to follow on some of his other walk thrus.

http://www.bonzz.com/heroach.htm

and it just goes on an on lol - he pretty much has covered a ton of stuff. His pop flagging is easy to understand.

I use Almars for collectable info (nice maps) some of the TBM walk thrus and they really explain the armor in TBM and how it works. https://www.almarsguides.com/eq/quests/TBM/GroupGear/
    Wyre Wintermute and demi like this.
  12. Accipiter Old Timer

I don't think you are listening.
    CatsPaws likes this.
  13. BronkTwo Journeyman

To which I could reply, "I don't think you are listening."

But it doesn't matter, we've discussed all the issues. And many appear to discuss the issues, but don't really. I've considered all of them. I'm aware of the situations.

We'll just see if Daybreak decides to change it -- probably not, but they've done similar things in the past. It would be nice if the older content could be done more easily -- which of course, most posters ignored and focused on doing it at level 115, etc.

So since we're just going in circles, I think I've done what I can and I'll move on.

Plus, of course, since many people don't seem to really pay attention to what I posted and jump in with suggestions that are beside the point, I'll just point out the title of the thread as a final reminder. Hopefully, the devs will take that to heart. The newer expacs, starting at about EoK, are better.

The title of the thread is: "Please stop making timed group quests"

More accurately, although it was implied, it should read "In the future, please don't make so many timed group quests and tie the progression of the entire expac to them" but that would be too long for a title.
  14. Randomized Augur

You’ve never actually come straight out and said what your issue with them is. Aside from your displeasure with times content. Is the content too hard for you to do? Are you struggling to complete a 30 minute quest within the 6 hour window?

I took a fresh duo (Heroic SK and Heroic Mage) at 85 (no augs) and did all 3 Gribbles missions within an hour (13 minutes for the first one, 16 minutes for the second one, and about 20 minutes on the third one due to the looting. Skipped all names that popped up). Then I did the Captain Russel mission (just the first one). That took me about 40 minutes because I was unfamiliar with that mission and the map which led to routing issues and missing a mob and having to backtrack like 3 times.

I then took my 99 Monk and did 2 of the Neriak 4th gate missions. 30 minutes for the first one, 35 for the second. Since I molo’d this one, it took a little more time since I had to split mobs and some Namer popped and patrolled within aggro range of every pull so had to FD 2-3 times to drop and reset namer. He dinged 100

I then took my 115 BST and ran through the first Gribbles in 6 minutes.

7 missions of varying levels (all but 1 with them being current content) in roughly 3 hours. Are you struggling to complete 1 in a 6 hour window?

As for people jumping to doing it at 115, it’s because you referred to it as old content implying that you out leveled them, and when asked if you were 115 or not, you conveniently chose to not answer. So yes, we’re assuming you’re level 115 or close to it since you’ve mentioned EoK and beyond as well.

And just for the record, EoK has instanced and timed group quests to finish off progression and achievements as well.

So how about you be straight forward with what the real issue is with timed quests. Are they too difficult for you? And we’re not taking the 2013 Zam comments into consideration when “other people” talk about it taking 2 hours. Or, does your hike life have you AFK’ing so much that you cannot get 30 minutes of play time in a 6 hour window?

Information is key. Being vague gets you where you are now
    Szilent and CatsPaws like this.
  15. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

Yours is one opinion in many.

We have solo quests which last mainly forever (there are a few for some reason which are timed)
    There are group quests (last 24 hours) tend to be ones needing drops or triggering mobs, which cause issues as solo quests as you either need a shed load of drops for everyone or triggler multilpuls of triggered mobs (stuff like this gets picked up and changed in beta)
    Missions (6 hour instance) usually need a full group sometimes 3 can do.

There is a nice mix there to cater to everyones preferences (as it should be)

Since ToV EQ has moved away from linar progression, so you are no longer stopped from proceeding if you get stuck on one particular quest. That said some of the kill quests are linar.

As much as you want to move away from 6 hour missions, there has been many requests for more of them, an expansion similar to LDON.
    CatsPaws likes this.
  16. Cicelee Augur

Everquest is a game that requires a significant time investment in order to accomplish everything in the game. From raids to long quest and task lines, to evolving items... everything takes a time commitment.

Fortunately there are things to do in the game that do not require a hard and fixed time limit. Mercenary tasks, mindless XP, camping a named... all of this you can come and go as you please.

If you cannot make the time commitment to do something (in this case, finish a Bixie quest within six hours) then you have some choices and options.

1. Skip the content and do stuff that you can do in the time you have
    2. Wait until you have a six hour window on a Saturday afternoon (for example) and then do that content
    3. Wait a few more expansions until your power is so great that the six hour time window becomes irrelevant
    4. Realize that there is going to be some things you just cannot and will not do in game, accept that and move on
    5. Quit and realize that Everquest is just not the game for you at this point in your life, maybe coming back when you have time to invest in a six hour window

I wish you the best. I also find several things very odd about this whole situation. What level are you? What level are the players who are saying a Bixie task is taking them two hours to do? How are you planning your day in real life to ensure you have time to play this game (as in, you sit down with the intent to do a task within six hours but every time you have to stop playing after ten minutes and now you are tied up for six hours straight that you cannot come back to the game)???

Feels like you are the only player with the issue. Doesn't feel like it is a game issue IMHO. Again I wish you the best.
  17. Accipiter Old Timer

People have already told you why there is a 6-hour limit. It is the duration for all dynamic zones (DZs). This is true of raids, instances, etc. Without a time limit, thousands of instances would just hang around forever. That, we have been told, is a huge drain on the servers.

Now, if your request is that all future tasks are in open zones, well I doubt that will get much traction.
  18. BronkTwo Journeyman

Those are all good sites. They have their pros and cons. Zam's user comments can be very helpful.
    Flatchy likes this.
  19. CazRaX Elder

I bow to your wisdom.