Necromancer

Discussion in 'Casters' started by Tenafter, Sep 22, 2021.

1. Tenafter New Member

I haven’t played in 5 years. Did they ever get around to revamping the Necro class?
  2. Szilent Augur

yes
    Tenafter likes this.
  3. bobokatt Augur

Necro class has been revamped... a few times. So most of your top DOTs have been consolidated (with an expected much higher mana cost), and that means you can only cast the TOP one (for your level) per type. Some lines have not as of yet (minor issue). However, your Wounds line has been nerfed to crap in the sense that it also got consolidated so you can only cast the top one and so you can no longer stack all the wounds line and then sit back and wait for the glory that was the proliferation for all of them to do their job. Now you get ONE wound DOT and when it does proc its proliferation, its result was not increased. The actual wound spell did get a minor increase in damage though.

The new thing with a necro is that you will now USE ALL YOUR mana ALL THE time.

Welcome back.
    Tenafter likes this.
  4. Shredd Augur

Buff Block them!. . Rogues need love too!
    Tenafter likes this.
  5. Cragzop Cranky Wizard

I feel like someone doesn't understand necros these days at all.

Necros are in a wonderful position right now. Some older necros just don't like change. The ones that love the way things are now don't ever speak because they know how just ridiculously overpowered necromancers are these days and don't want to mess it up.

Good time to return if you are wanting to necro.
    Allayna and Tenafter like this.
  6. kizant Augur

Having to experience the glory of proliferation sooner and more often by just using your regular DoTs. The horror.
    Tenafter likes this.
  7. bobokatt Augur

Cragzop, at NO point did I say necros are NOT in a good position now. I simply explained the changes to the OP and how the DoTs were consolidated and the Wounds line changed (if that was how years ago necros stacked them). Simple. Nothing else. Wounds were nerfed. They were, does not matter whether those were overpowered or not. Simple math.
    Dude has not played in 5 years... gave a coles note of the revamp. Thanks for the reply. Cheers.
    Tenafter likes this.
  8. bobokatt Augur

Christ, guess a necro can't post anything these days, if one or two wizards are around. I hope the new expansion brings much love to your class. I mean that truly, and not in a sly or condescending way.
    Tenafter likes this.
  9. Volgare Journeyman

For the most part yeah, just a couple left to do, plus many AAs got consolidated, you should come back now, i need another competent necro around.
    Tenafter likes this.
  10. Evurkvest Augur

Nec class envy. A classic since the dot patch of 2002 :)
  11. kizant Augur

You mistakenly forgot to point out that necros are way better than ever after the recent upgrade/revamp. How could I not make light of that?
    bobokatt likes this.
  12. Ibudin Augur

Necros are better than ever, its like god mode when playing one. Cast less dots, more time to chat to your groupies on raids, and still out parse every other class by 300-500K DPS on average.

Best class to play for sure, that is if your one of the lucky 3 allowed on raids lol.
  13. Tenafter New Member

I thought about it. Leveling out would be fast, back flagging would be a different story.
  14. Bumpkins New Member

This hurts my heart
    Tenafter likes this.
  15. Volgare Journeyman

Don't take it personal, I still luvs ya, but was maybe 2 of us around at that time , unlike now when every slack makes a necro.
    Tenafter likes this.
  16. Slaytanik Elder

How are Necros on TLP's past Classic? Kunark expansion and beyond?
  17. Ronluwen Elder

Well, classic/kunark necros are very good. There is plenty of undead to charm and nuke and should compete for top tier dps.

Velious they drop down a bit, but still have situations where they do really well. And they have decent utility because twitch is still moderately useful. DPS wise, they can compete for top tier on a number of fights.

Luclin, they don't gain as much as others and become a mid tier dps with solid utility. Mind wrack is a really good spell in luclin due to long boss fights and long trash clears. Also, their ability to da and feign/summon corpse helps speed up VT by a ton. You're not going to beat any competent ranger/wizard/monk, but if you're multi-dotting on trash you'll be ok on combined parses.

By PoP you fall off the face of the earth. Resistances are bad. Boss fights are short. There's only one trash clear to speak of and mobs die before the duration of one dot. You can still use MW on the trash clear, but it's far less useful than during VT clears. DPS wise you're towards the bottom of the pack.

GoD is more of the same. The resistances are better, and fights are a bit longer, but you don't really gain like other classes. Necro's are so far behind monks (the number 1 dps) at this point it's embarrassing. People talk a lot about necro's getting dot crit aa's and being better at this point, but it's all relative. Melee's are going to smash for a while.

OOW and the whole 70 run is really bad for all caster dps. COA is back to bad resistances and really short fights. 2.0 is good and all, but it's not enough to catch you up.

DoN is really bad for necro's. The spell you get is barely worth it. At this point berserkers and rogues have caught up to monks, so every parse is monk/berserker/rogue top depending on who has discs up.

DoDH is the first expansion in a long time that necro's get good upgrades. All three spells are a must have. You actually start to see some gains, and start to get pushed in the direction of a more current play style with mostly 4 dots to keep up and spamming a nuke to get procs to increase your dps.

I haven't played PoR + yet. Looking forward to see the TSS era of this game. Hoping the necro gains aren't horrible.