New EverQuest Perks

Discussion in 'News and Announcements' started by Accendo, Sep 8, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Geroblue Augur

@Corwyhn Lionheart

How has it been ? I'm back, sort of... I kinda prefer EQ II at this point though.
  2. Zandermill Death by Snoochie

Take my money!
    Nao!
  3. Denmer New Member

Final Fantasy XIV.................$14.99 *2.8M
    Final Fantasy XIV + "Perks" 29.99$ <- Math may be a little off there due to sub types and if you have a living legacy account take off a few bucks. But everyone crying foul and saying no other MMO does this isn't looking hard enough, or just pretending it's not there.
  4. Burdi Augur

Hi there,
    I resumed playing a few weeks ago after a years of break.
    Last extension I played was SOD.
    I feel the population is more active that it was when I left.
    I fell those little perks are nice.
    Thanks Daybreak or whatever company it is now.
    Keep up with updates.
    The forum mood is still very negative, but fortunately the majority of players don’t read it.
    Cheers,
    Stymie and code-zero like this.
  5. NameAlreadyInUse #CactusGate

I don't understand (I'm not familiar with FF XIV), but it looks like they only have one $14.99 monthly fee. Where do you get the other $29.99?
  6. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Probably "retainers" they are like extra storage mules for those who do a lot of tradeskilling.
  7. Denmer New Member

Yep, you can also give them classes and send them out to gather materials/items for you. Another 5$ comes from signing up for the premium phone app service. Which IIRC expands one of your storage spaces and allows you to move items between your inventory and storage through the phone app.
  8. Sara Connor New Member

The difference with FF is they are actual reasonable perks with practical benefit. EQ perks you'll be paying for something you won't generally notice at all.
  9. hellofriend New Member

100% Agree.
    Imagine if you will, neither game had perks. As a fun-themed event, both games decided to release perks, but with a catch - they activate the perks without telling you what they are. You have to notice what is happening different in the game and figure out what the perks are yourself.

FF XIV Players would discover immediately what the perks are. Actual practical things of use you can implement and interact with.

Everquest players would be at a complete loss and spend weeks parsing logs trying to figure out what changed in the game.
    Stymie and Skuz like this.
  10. NameAlreadyInUse #CactusGate

I happily concede that EQ is not the first to sell add-on services.

I thought it interesting that this has actually already been going on for a long time in EQ: EQ housing is basically inventory storage that requires upkeep, which can be paid for with currencies you can buy for $ (through kronos).

So FF's inventory service is more expensive for sure. But I wonder if most FF players buy retainers? They sound like they are for people who are heavy into tradeskills and late in the game (players get 2 free retainers, and 9 max)?

But these EQ perks, despite the common perception that they are insignificant, have clearly been designed by devs to be important to almost every type of EQ player. If you are casual and free to play and don't care, these won't change anything for you - you won't buy these either.

But if you do want to be as good as you can be, or even just stay caught up with your friends, you're probably going to want all of these perks (even if you don't break down and buy all of them).
    Stymie and Qelil like this.
  11. Stymie Pendragon

That's what they're banking on. Honestly, I hope it creates enough added revenue to see noticeable improvements to the game that everyone can benefit from.
  12. Xianzu_Monk_Tunare Augur

What you should add is something like this:

OR

Jack of All Trades' Perk – Become a mighty adventurer in the world of Norrath
    • Gain a 5% experience bonus that multiplies with other experience bonuses you earn.
    • Your mercenaries will gain experience 10% more quickly.
    • You won't lose a level when your character falls in battle.
    • Grants access to twelve-slot trader’s satchels.
    • Enables two additional slots in your inventory.
    Activate Only Jack of All Trades' Perk for $3.99/mo, does not stack with other Perks.

Alternatively, it would have been even better if, instead of having the different "Perks" being pre decided, that it instead gave you a specific number which you could choose to use. 3 for the Merchant, 6 for the Adventurer, and 9 for the Challenger; and then allow the players to mix and match which benefits they used from the 9 available. The 5 above are the ones pretty much everyone would most likely choose.

Ideally, these would have been more well received, I think, if each individual option were individual one time purchases for like $30-$60 each.

All that said, I honestly think that the biggest mistake that they are making is that they are requiring that you have an All Access account in order to get these perks. The only benefit that honestly requires an All access account to use is that 12-slot trader's satchels, everything else can be used by anyone. So it would make far more sense if they simply had allowed everyone to buy them and use them even without an All Access account.

No, at least not until like CoV unlocks most likely.
    No, of course not, those are tied by the # of recipes you have learned and have no random component.
    Probably, raids in which the currency given is listed in the Alt Currency Window, as opposed to DoN Crystals. I could also see things like OMM missions being excluded as well. The rest I don't see a point.
    That would have been nice, however quite a few of them would not have been really fair as Vet Rewards.
    But if it was something that you could not live without, then far more people would be complaining about it being required to have and should have just been baked into a sub price increase
    They want everyone, even those who have bough lifetime subscriptions, to have to pay for these perks.
  13. Xianzu_Monk_Tunare Augur

Always have all my trader's slots easily filled. Know of some people who have 2-3 traders even.
    I'm always running out of room, Dragon's Hoard is useless, only good for holding old mystery items that no one ever figured out what they are for. You not running out of space is likely why you cannot even fill up your trader; sounds like you just leave everything on the ground instead of looting.

The 10% chance for more TS skill ups and the Loyalty merchant discount, I agree, are bad benefits for most players. The TS one is only good for those who create new characters regularly, or have not bothered to max out their TSs yet; it by design has limited use and will become useless for everyone at some point, not worth a recurring subscription. Loyalty caps at such a low amount as it is, unless you are regularly buying things like luck crystals, unattuners, tons of tokens of resurrection, and the like, then you are already throwing away Crowns by being capped out.

Overseer is more of a hassle to mess with than just grinding for a lot of us.

Sounds like you tend to not take much risk when you play, if you haven't lost a level in that long, or you don't play near the high level end of the game. You don't grind out levels there as a rule, but if you try to it you will end up losing a level when you die after you just get a level, sometimes more than once, and it is not uncommon for a rez not to get it back.

5% which multiplicatively stacks with all other XP bonuses is huge, and easily measurable.

The coin from kills, again only useful for those who are new, start on a new server, or simply spend everything they make. There are surprisingly a lot of people like this. I know tons of players who never have plat, some even don't have plat to keep their mercs running. This is why I think that the biggest issue with these perks is that they require an All Access account. This benefit would be the most useful to those who are not All Access, because the only way they have to make money easily is from killing mobs.

Making Raid currency tradeable to heirloom isn't something that should be tied to a perk. Further, you getting everything you want from raids before the end of the expansion may be true for you, but not others. For every person who gets everything that they want from each expansion well before the end of it, there are 2-3 who don't get several of the pieces that they want. This is again, not a benefit for the maxed out players, but those playing catch up or new. This issue here is moreso that it is limited to raid currency.
  14. Xianzu_Monk_Tunare Augur

EQ isn't anywhere near one of the most expensive games out there. It is about the average, even cheaper than some.
    The 5% from the perk stacks with the XP Pot.
    code-zero likes this.
  15. Xianzu_Monk_Tunare Augur

None of these things should be included in any expansion.
    code-zero likes this.
  16. Waring_McMarrin Augur

This was in response to someone suggesting that they sell a group lesson in the marketplace not the 5% from the perk.

I don't know about that it seems the TLP will be the biggest users of the perk as it would be more helpful on a server with more frequent level increases.
  17. Xianzu_Monk_Tunare Augur

Where did you get the idea that it Account to Account transfers weren't reenabled due to taking too many help tickets (100% of the Account to Account transfers required them, since you had to specifically petition for it to be done).
  18. Xianzu_Monk_Tunare Augur

Easily changed when this stuff actually goes live.
    Except it's not when you actually consider all the similar things that other MMORPGs include on theirs. They don't include everything like some people are trying to claim. They each have similar nickel and diming going on, if anything EQ is behind when it comes to this stuff.
  19. Xianzu_Monk_Tunare Augur

They lose money on multi-month subscriptions. Why exactly would they want you to pay them less?
  20. Skrab East Cabilis #1 Realtor

They don’t lose money. The point is to get people to pay upfront for longer periods, which is a bigger sale.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.