potential inconsistencies with composite line of spells

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by josh, Sep 23, 2021.

1. josh Augur

I've been looking at composites and there are some inconsistencies that i would like to compile into one post. Mostly centering around the fact that several can't twincast when it seems like there is no reason why they can't The first one I would mention that I think is the mostly likely one to qualify as a bug is

Composite Blessing

Cleric (111)

Slot 1:Cast Highest Rank Known: Composite Lifespring 1 (v470)
    Slot 2:Cast Highest Rank Known: Composite Blessing 1 (v470)
    Slot 3:Increase Current Hit Points by 1 per Tick

Composite Lifespring 6

Cleric (250)

Slot 1:Increase Current Hit Points by 29017
    Slot 2:Stacking: Twincast Blocker

Composite Blessing 6

Cleric (250)

Slot 1:Increase Current Hit Points by 63080
    Slot 2:Increase Current Hit Points by 15770 if Hit Points Below 20 Percent
    Slot 3:Stacking: Twincast Blocker
    Slot 5:Increase Max Hit Points by 20%

My assumption of what went on behind the design of these was the twincast blockers were added to prevent quad casts from occuring, and then the heal was added to allow the initial spell to twincast. The problem is, most twinheal benefits do not allow spells with duration to be twincast by them. this includes the twinheal aa and the cleric aa channeling the divine.

I'm guessing there is some reason why the initial spell is required to have a duration, but if that's the case, then i feel it would make more sense to remove the heal and put a twincast blocker there and remove the twincast blocker from composite lifespring. as it stands, I'm not sure there is any way for a cleric to twincast this and the slot 3 SPA 0 makes it seem like it was intended for them to be able to.

A similar, but potentially deliberate scenario exists for paladin and wizard composite. paladin composite heal cannot be twincast no matter what, nothing in the game would ever allow any portion to twincast, and the same is true for the wizard composite.

Composite Fire

Wizard (111)

Slot 1:Cast Highest Rank Known: Composite Fire 1 (v470)
    Slot 2 Decrease Current Hate by 25%

Composite Force

Paladin (111)

Slot 1:Cast Highest Rank Known: Composite Force Stun 1 (v470)
    Slot 2:Cast Highest Rank Known: Composite Force Healing 1 (v470)
    Slot 3:Stun for 0s up to level 120

These cannot be twincast because there is no SPA 0 in the initial spell and the spells they cast have twincast blockers.
    compared to similar abilities

Composite Winds
    Druid (111)
    Slot 1:Cast Highest Rank Known: Composite North Wind 1 (v470)
    Slot 2:Cast Highest Rank Known: Composite South Wind 1 (v470)
    Slot 3 Decrease Current Hit Points by 1

This can be twincast. If this is intentional, it seems arbitrary.
    Wulfhere likes this.
  2. Cragzop Cranky Wizard

I commented in the paladin thread where you brought this up, but this isn't a bug. It is by design.

The design may be inconsistent (not nearly as much as epic clicks though), but everything is working like it should. Classes with ITC and other counter twincast things certainly don't want simple changes that gum up the entire works for these abilities. It's how wizards got to their no twincast at all composite.

This is feedback for a reworking of the composite lines ... which I agree is needed now that these are a staple of the game ... but not a bug.
  3. josh Augur

I disagree especially regarding the cleric composite. They gave it SPA 0 but it has a duration so it can't be twincast by normal means. What other reason would they have to put that their other than to give it the ability to twincast, and it can't twincast by anything other than the bifold focus like you pointed out.

and as for consuming charges, it would consume one charge like any other heal if you just removed the initial SPA 0 and added a twincast blocker and removed the twincast blocker from composite lifespring.
    (possibly two if it's one of the double count twincast buffs but that's been accounted for by doubling the charges so not really relevant.)

The paladin one is a similar scenario, I don't know what weirdo wizard thing you are talking about where you don't want composite to twincast, but it definitely doesn't apply to me a paladin.
  4. josh Augur

I guess the other reason for it to be there would be so it can trigger gift of mana, and there might be other things i haven't considered, I guess I can't call it a bug for sure considering that but, yeah still something I wish they would look at.
    Wulfhere likes this.