Special, Limited Edition Cosmetics Subscription Tier

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Benito, Sep 23, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Benito EQ player since 2001.

Instead of perks, the studio should consider promoting a premium subscription that includes limited edition cosmetics. Most AAA games (i.e. Call of Duty, Fortnite) make their bread-and-butter on cosmetic sales. More recently, Fortnite and Call of Duty have introduced limited edition (one-time only) cosmetics as part of a subscription or battle pass bundle. See Fortnite's Crew Packs or Call of Duty: Warzone's Kyubi Battle Pass promotion.

For a premium subscription ($19.99 or higher, no bulk discounts, Kronos not redeemable), your account would be granted a limited edition cosmetic each month. Each month's cosmetic would be unique and would only ever be granted in game for that month's premium sub. You will never see that special cosmetic offered in game again once the month has passed.

Limited edition cosmetics could include (from most common to least common):
    • Weapon Ornament (x2 if 1-handed)
    • House Item
    • Special Effect (Teleport, Nimbus, Fireworks)
    • Armor Ornaments
    • Mount
    • Illusion
    *There would be no loot box (RNG) element to the awarding of these item(s). The item(s) for each month would be advertised ahead of time. You will get what you see.

(Alternatively or additionally, they could also add 1 or 2 extra monthly claim crates).

Cosmetics are preferable to gains in power in game.
    Wyndar, Fenthen and Fanra like this.
  2. Benito EQ player since 2001.

I failed to add the [Suggestion] or [Feedback] tag. This is a proposal (idea) and not an actual upcoming feature.
  3. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Gotta say, prefer this suggestion to what Daybreak have offered as perks.

FashionQuest perk.
    Wyndar, Fenthen and Benito like this.
  4. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

The only thing on that list possibly worth paying extra for is illusios and they have said they don't want to add more outside of expansion and crates
  5. Benito EQ player since 2001.

The Royal Antonican weapon ornaments they released with the EQ 20th T-Shirts were sweet. Someone offered 10 Kronos for 1 ornament code.

People still pay crazy high for Sinister Clockwork armor ornaments. There's still also hype for Ancient Ssra and Golden armor suits.

Now, they're adding FOMO (fear of missing out) on unique monthly cosmetics.

There's a market and, if they need to, they should "break glass in case of emergency."
    Fenthen likes this.
  6. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

This leads even more to a slipery slope than the perks would give us and even less of these types of things added for quests rewards, expansion purchases etc. We need more ingame rewards from doing quests not less, that said we need more quests.

The Golden armor suits are a stupid price. I'd prefer they did away with heros forge and once again put effort into making the gear from playing the game look unique. Robes have looked the same for years, just different colours.
    Fenthen likes this.
  7. Benito EQ player since 2001.

This cosmetic-heavy revenue model is what most AAA titles utilize. It is not dangerous. The rather limited "slippery slope of selling cosmetics" is highly preferable to a "slippery slope of selling game power."
  8. Randomized Augur

I don’t have an issue with this per se. but if it’s a month to month upgrade, how many hours and resources are going to go into this to make sure we have new cosmetics for the multiple areas that you named available? There’s 12 alone for 2h weapons. And that’s assuming only one type. What if we do all 3 types? That’s 36 alone. Not to mention for the 4 armor types. Another 48 (or 336 individual pieces), etc etc. you can see where this is going
    Yinla likes this.
  9. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

What if I like 1 months reward and want it on more than one server that I play on?
  10. Geroblue Augur

I don't think my male Ogre shamans would care for that.
    Benito likes this.
  11. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

What about lifetime accounts? They don't pay anything. So you would have them pay another....$4 or $5 bucks a month to get the special stuff........

isn't that the packs they are offering now? Just with different stuff.
    Yinla likes this.
  12. Randomized Augur

Well he did say it was tied to the sub. No reason you couldn’t make them Lore and able to claim 999. So that way you can claim on any server, any character? /shrug
  13. Benito EQ player since 2001.

The cosmetics would be universally equipable. There would be no restrictions. There would be no selection from a window.

In terms of the resources argument, people are already criticizing the new perk system for the same reason. ("The perks will require new code or maintenance as well as be bugged").

Darkpaw has a strong art team. I'm actually surprised cosmetics are an afterthought for EQ1.

Edit: I understand Ngreth is usually in charge of cosmetics. It would be wise to see some of the new devs trained in cosmetic production.
  14. Benito EQ player since 2001.

It would be up to Darkpaw.

Interestingly, the unvaulted Collector Editions and crate items are single claim. They will likely continue that trend.
  15. Benito EQ player since 2001.

It would be up to Darkpaw.

But yes, I could see a "Upgrade to Premium" option for current subscribers (whether you have 1 year standard or lifetime sub).
  16. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

The originals were 999 claims which make the rerelased ones not worth the cost and why I won't purchase them.
  17. Randomized Augur

Fair enough. But the weapons should at least be restricted lol that would drive me nuts. And the perks are a one and done thing though. The cosmetics would be changing on a monthly basis. Once the code for the perks are in game it’s just an off and on switch.
    Benito likes this.
  18. demi Augur

the lifetime subs could be one reason were seeing "perks" instead of a new monthly sub price ?

I would not be interested in a monthly cosmetic unless they were illusions/mounts (Unique) or pet or merc skins .. they would also need to be 999 cause i go thru alts like crazy .. also I'm not into ornaments at all so they would need to make ornaments either sellable or a way in the /claim window to take all the 999 of them out at once so i can delete or hide them ..

atm i wish they could do that with all the paintings in my /claim
    Yinla and CatsPaws like this.
  19. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

My point: it is what is coming anyway. Only difference is it is wrapped up in subscription price.

I would not touch my lifetime accounts with an "upgrade to squat" with the ongoing issues that could affect it and bounce it into a standard subscription and not ever being "fixable" or able to revert like many of the old special pricing got skewered. And look at all the problems players in other countries have.

Just put the entire lot in the marketplace, jack up the price and let it go. No need to mess with subscription status

Edit: just read Demi post and they have a valid point about lifetime and the way to raise the price with the perks being offered
  20. Benito EQ player since 2001.

Fair point. But your lifetime subscription can bug out at any time. There's even been fears that lifetime subs would not be honored by EG7. Darkpaw has to honor lifetime subscriptions because it was advertised as such. This is not like the 'Guise of the Ancient Gods' issue where players were "upset" to find out it was 30 minute illusion; but, in that case, the duration was not advertised (just "implied" which still felt like a bait-and-switch for some).
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.