Best braindead soloer

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by tzeriel, Sep 23, 2021.

1. tzeriel Lorekeeper

I can’t put in the effort to be LFG or form groups for awhile. It’s just not in the cards. But looking to get back into it on Mischief, who are good 2nd monitor Soloers? Beastlords or Mages? Kinda looking to be able to just make forward progress burning my mana up, clicking a bit and medding as I play other games.
    Aenvar likes this.
  2. Wyre Wintermute I'm just a butterly dreaming I'm a man

You'll never truly make forward progress by just sending in a few pets here and there. Sure, you can get XP and level, but you won't be getting the gear you'll want, especially if you want to achieve this by just using pets and no slows and heals etc..

The beastlord warders don't really start to com into their own until House of Thule (a lot has to do with some significant changes they made after finding out there was a "loophole" with the original warder implementation. Because of that loophole, BL pets weren't tuned properly for several expansions and once the mechanic surrounding them changed, they never went back and retuned warders) While they are pretty good at solo/duo/molo stuff, a lot more skill is needed through Underfoot to manage damage in, damage out, etc... The warder can offtank, but its limits really show earlier in the game. there's a lot more switching of aggro between the BL and its warder to manage incoming damage and the warder is more of a DoT earlier on.

If you're running a single toon, Mage would probably be the best bet. You still won't get a whole lot of forward progress (that goes for any class in EQ) just doing a couple clicks.. but they can manage fairly well. The multiple pet choices will let you alternate to fit your needs/location. They're also "slightly" more powered in the older xpacs due to years of rework.

Just by the sound of what you're looking for and the current Era of Mischeif/Thorneblade, I'd personally go with Mage.
  3. Xhartor Augur

Necro's are probably the best soloer, however they probably aren't as braindead as mage for soloing. They cal also self heal and have multiple get out of jail free cards that Beastlords and Mages don't have. Also if you need to AFK you can also just FD.

Somewhere around Omen-TSS SK Passive self healing becomes stupid good (Epic, Lifetap procs, Decrepit Skin, Mortal Coil) and they probably take the title.
    Tweakfour17 likes this.
  4. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

Are you sure EQ is the game for you? Some hints it might not be are the use of "Dolores", "clicking a bit", and "as you play other games".;)

EQ takes some effort and you have to interact with more than just a click now and then
  5. Captain Video Augur

You'll never be happy on a TLP, they don't work like that. You can have the sort of "EQ lifestyle" you describe on a Live server, boxing a couple of toons with mercs, in which case there isn't really any right answer for class choices, it should be whatever you seem to enjoy. But you cannot progress without effort on a TLP. Gear prices trend lower on Mischief, but it still takes effort to farm some plat, and even begging for free stuff takes some effort in social networking.

This is the big problem I have with the Mischief ruleset, that it has brought this sort of expectation out of the woodwork.
    code-zero likes this.
  6. Triconix Augur

You're going to find that EQ is a disappointing game if you refuse to do anything but "clicking a bit." Anything worthwhile will take some effort. You may be able to get away with this playstyle from Classic-Velious, but after that, good luck.

If you don't want to actually, just don't?
  7. code-zero Augur

The game play description would make me suspect that in a couple of months the OP would be back complaining about being suspended for AFK playing
    Stymie likes this.
  8. tzeriel Lorekeeper

Not looking for afk play. The game is just too boring before GoD to just sit and stare at only EQ. You need another game going on another monitor to make it tolerable.
  9. Cidran Augur

As many have pointed here, EQ is not an idle friendly game, even less with a TLP server.

That being said, I strongly believe Magician is what you are looking for. Don't get me wrong, being good with the mage needs as much attention as any other class... But those times I know I'll be afk a lot, I just log into mine, throw a few nukes and let the awesome pet take care of the rest. Personally speaking, I find it a lot of fun. Make sure to choose your hunting spot carefully!
  10. Tweakfour17 Augur

Every single server, TLP or otherwise is in GoD or later except Thornblade and Mischief so if the game is too boring before GoD, you have so many choices of era to jump into a more interactive game play style.
  11. sadre Augur

Everyone has their best way, so no right answer. I've tried playing braindead sober. I'm just way better at it playing braindead drunk. But that's me.
  12. HoodenShuklak Augur

Mage absolutely stomps necro its wild. Necro has tools which are nice, but this early its far from useful. Mage pet just dumps on necro pet; its shocking how op the mage pet is comparatively.

Furthermore, mage pet focus for earth is like 1 or 2k but necro book is about 15x more still.

If you're looking for brain dead box power I think I would pick mage again and again after comparing many classes now in early tlp.

Bst might be good but definitely more brain required, plus melee moving.
  13. Duckforceone Lord of the Ducks

Mage... and if you pair that mage with a box healer, you can truly do harder areas slowly...

i'm currently levelling up a shaman box that can buff my mage pet, keep it healed and slow the mobs... this way i can do some relaxed camps while at work or watching a movie... just grinding slow aa's and the likes.
  14. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

Mage is more powerful, Beast is more fun and Necro is more versitile.
  15. Risiko Augur

Instead of Beastlord, Mage, or Necromancer, may I suggest you take a look at Shaman or Druid.

While the other three are DPS pet classes, the kind of playstyle you say you want makes me believe you would be happier with either a shaman or druid.

Find a nice secluded outdoor area to camp, and root rott as much as you want. In between fights, you can vedge out on Youtube, Netflix, or what ever while your character regens mana. They are powerful classes that only get more powerful as the expansions continue to unlock.
    code-zero likes this.
  16. samenye Lorekeeper

Definitely mage...BST is kind of work, and NEC is tons of work...but...do you need to bother? If you're not engaged with the game until past the classic expansions, and don't mind soloing, why not just come back later when the XP rate hikes up and you can twink yourself to the eyeballs for a single Kr?
  17. samenye Lorekeeper

You do need to be prepared to switch back at a moment's notice with root/rot - though a slowed mob would help. With a mage you can burn down the mob while the pet tanks then afk. If you go dark elf, you can even Hide. I guess it really depends. When I semi-afk, I prefer to burn the mob down then switch away - not be monitoring for trouble over a longer fight.

Edit: OP did say he's not looking for AFK play so the root/rot "moment's notice" thing might work. But then unless the other game has a pause button, I'd be tempted to look at Necro, so at least you can FD. It's not quite a pause EQ button, but near as dammit.
  18. TheTone Elder

Mage is what you want.

Find a camp you can roll in (light blues) - burn through about 4-5 of them, set a timer for about 8-10 minutes depending on your mana pool, rinse and repeat.

I do this at work quite often... it comes to about 5 minutes of playing per hour if you get a good camp and you can get some decent exp
  19. Bewts Augur

Necro isn’t a brain dead soloer… but you can play it as dumb as you want solo and in groups and still achieve things…

IE ya can root rot which is basically just loading with dots, rooting and refreshing each until the mob dies and let the pet with taunt be your safety net for root resists. It’s slow. It’s boring. It’s semi efficient. And most importantly it works.

Ya could do the same with a Shaman or druid to similar degrees of efficiency.

The great part about a necro though, is you can be far more useful or creative in groups or soloing be it charm, mezzing (up to 55, 2 targets max); heck you can even supplement healing to a degree - all while adding dps to the group with dots.

I’ve found I’ve been enjoying lich hat tap tanking solo in VL and that same lich hat is health positive if ya you use your hat + heal transfer on the tank for basically 10 mana.
  20. tzeriel Lorekeeper

This guy gets it. Thank you. Mage seems perfect. This is for 2nd monitor action or laptop at work when I go in on a weird shift. Now I just need to find a good rundown of a path and I can start to make some progress!