At what point do you give up on something?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Cicelee, Sep 22, 2021.

1. Cicelee Augur

So you are working on a quest. Or you are camping an item. Or an evolving item quest where you (after getting the initial item) realize there is much more that you have to do. You reach a point where you just say "Enough is enough!" and give up on whatever it is you were working on.

For some, it could be a max Artisan prize. Others it may be a stat aug that the named will just not drop. Maybe you have gone back to Vex Thall fifty times for that illusion that just never dropped for you. Or maybe you realize that you have to have hunters or collects done for the TOV earring and you said, Nah I am good with what I have.

Feel free to share your stories and experiences. My current "give up" is my alt monk on the same account as my main. Monk is so incredibly far behind that I just don't have the time or desire or effort to put into the character for now...
    Skuz, Ibadan Kun'Tirel and Aenvar like this.
  2. Accipiter Old Timer

About 15 minutes after I get bored.
  3. demi Augur

if i start feeling that way , i just take a step back from that project for a few days or weeks then come back to it ..
    Wdor, Kialya, Skuz and 1 other person like this.
  4. Alnitak Augur

Usually, when I get a message that I am at max of active quests I do the clearing of it by removing all the quests, which lost relevance by then. On 1 of my toons I recently removed Gloomingdeep Rebellion quest.
    Wdor and Elyssanda like this.
  5. Sissruukk Rogue One

I think the thing that took me the longest to get was the Woven Shadow Stone (Rogue only Guktan Illusion). It took me 3 months of keeping Graniteclaw on cooldown to get. I think the thing, though, is because it had a long lockout timer it didn't make it so bad, like sitting there camping it for hours or days on end (my worst on those is the Blackburrow Cask and the Dessicated Halfling Mask). In those cases, I just browse the internet and not really pay too close attention to spawn timers, and I didn't stay up all night trying to get them (I'd log out for the evening, then come back the next day).
    Skuz likes this.
  6. Act of Valor The Newest Member

I don't think I've ever given up on something in Everquest. That might make me determined, incredibly stubborn, or both.
    Kialya, Aanuvane, Laurana and 3 others like this.
  7. Randomized Augur

It’s a boredom factor for me. Not a “too hard, or too much time to do” thing. I think I camped the Knight only sword in EoK Droga for 3 days on end (3 days for me, maybe only 10-15 hours of play time), before I got bored at the camp and left. Did eventually go back and get it though. After 3 days and walking away, I went back and the first time I got Kizzixik to spawn he dropped it
    Skuz likes this.
  8. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

Usually I give up when I get tired and have to get some sleep.....I don't think I ever really give up on something completly and do a lot of one thing then take a break and go back to it. Boredom is another factor may switch to something else.

I have a long list of things I want to get done. So while I may switch to do something else, it is still on my list. I've been working on Heros Journey for months and constantly switch which part I'm working on depending on my mood. I'm now doing to needing just 3 things to finish. LDON's (stupid amount of them), 2/3 Coldain (MMs) and Scryor Orb, I'm down to just needing the 7th and either he isn't spawning or someone is beating me to him every time.In hindsight I should have done a few LDONs each day when I started working on HJ, then I wouldn't be stuck doing them all in one go, which will drive me nuts, but at least there are 5 themes I can switch between. The things I do to get an illusion I more than likely won't use......

Erons jewellry for Artisans Prize go to the point I need Juice of Quellious and stopped....don't feel like foraging for the different fruits and none in the bazaar, will return sometime soon.

Still missing some CoV bits quests and hunter but got bored with that expansion extremley quick so found other things to do. I'll return to it at some stage.
    Skuz likes this.
  9. bobokatt Augur

ToV for me. The first was trying to get past the Rallos Zek earring part where you needed the keys from the Tower of Frozen Shadow. When I say I spent a MONTH trying to JUST get the first key is an understatement. Bad luck on my part. Just gave up. One day decided to go back, 3rd mob I killed got the other mob to pop and then got the key. Breezed through the other keys. Almost gave up.

Second again was ToV partisan quest Wolf Bites Giant. If I remember correctly that was one of the LAST missions I needed to get a complete finish to TOV. Took me for ever. Again bad luck. Could never find Frost. One day came back and POOF there was Frost and there was sorcerer. Just when I was about to give up... things align. Go figure.
    Skuz and Yinla like this.
  10. Flatchy Court Jester

I think I gave up on Artisans prize as soon as I got it. Sure It would be nice to get it to max stats but sounds like there is a lot to it. Download some app that shows what recipes you need yet compared to what you have, and is that considered a 3rd party program? I dunno, I am an old troll and sometimes it gets to be too much. Perhaps I will get to it one day like I did with Tears of Alaris. Probably by then the aug will be out of date :(
    Skuz and Elyssanda like this.
  11. quakedragon Augur

When people tell you its a waste of time now.
    In regards to Epics 2.0.
  12. Dre. Altoholic

It took me about 4 years to camp the Staff of the Dreaded Gaze.
    I've still never seen Vaniki.
    Flatchy and Laurana like this.
  13. Moege Augur

Don't need a app, you can upload your recipe dump to a website (http://eqrecipes.free.fr). It is a massive amount of work and when done you probably will never want to go close to tradeskills again. Aug will never go out of date. EQ will be shutdown by the time it gets to that point !
    Fenthen and Flatchy like this.
  14. Windance Augur

Getting "Fantastic Feline Cameo" to drop from Kirezelbough.

I was thinking that this weekend was going to be the perfect time to put together the list of missing hDex augs and get them knocked out.

After 4 hours of clearing 20 wyverns per cycle and having it spawn once, decided my augs were good enough.

ps. during the same time other named in CS were chain spawning ...
  15. The real Sandaormo Augur

Cloud?
    Kialya and adetia like this.
  16. Cidran Augur

Only give up when you feel that, whatever you are after, is completely out of your reach. As long as there is a chance, we must keep trying:)
    Wdor likes this.
  17. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Never given up on anything, but I have taken breaks from things I plan to go back to...those breaks have extended to years in certain cases though.
    Boredom usually factors in and I have to be in the right kinda mood to tolerate a massive camping spree for just 1 thing.

As much as is possible I try to kill more than 1 bird with a stone at the same time so combining goals is what I try to do and getting combined goals done is much easier than 1 shotting one thing at a time in EQ as a rule, however somethings simply sit outside the realms of that.
    Wdor, bobokatt and Bigstomp like this.
  18. Elyssanda Bardbrain

when my eyes feel dry and I need to sleep?
    Skuz likes this.
  19. adetia Monkess Wonder, Ruler of All

i haven't given up on anything yet, but occasionally if something is really wearing me down, i'll put a pin in it and come back to it later after doing something else that brings me more joy. :)
    Wdor, Kialya, Skuz and 1 other person like this.
  20. Malpheroth Elder

I seem to be more likely to give up on something when it is starting to hinder or hurt others as much as myself when it isn’t working out. If a friend logs on and wants to go do something I will drop what I’m doing otherwise now they can’t make progress and neither can I.
    Skuz likes this.