Since we have a little server downtime...

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Kakgumu, Sep 22, 2021.

1. Kakgumu New Member

Let's have yet another thread of potential high-value improvements to the game!

First, I will of course list mine! Now please note, I am NOT the creative genius for most of these. The vast majority of these I've come across here on the forums, or were mentioned in-game by friends and guildies. While a few of these are my own, please don't give me any credit or praise for any of these. And, my apologies for not jotting down who and where the originating idea came for many of these...

These are in my own person order of priority:

#1 - Pathing...Pathing...PATHING
    For the love of all that is good and holy...this should be a TOP priority. The fact that this is STILL such a major issue 22 years after launch is honestly embarrassing. Many of us are software developers and/or have worked in the computer industry for many years. We all generally understand the complexity and difficulty to fix this. And...we simply don't care about excuses any more. I played the game from 2001 - 2007 and just came back to the game last year during covid. And pathing was STILL horrific. STILL.

#2 - More "high-end" AAs!
    First let me say that I've ALWAYS thought the AA system was pure genius!! It is, perhaps, the single game mechanic in EQ that I enjoy more than any other. I just want MORE of it!! Please consider a line of ultra-expensive, class-defining AAs! My concept is that these would cost in the neighborhood of 100 AAs each. And, naturally, they would enhance and empower each classes' core function. For example:
    • Mage - cross-zone CoH
    • Wizard - 10% reduction in the spell global cool down
    • Rogue - SoS that REALLY no mobs can see thru
    • etc.
    You get the idea. Hell, you could even give them tiers at 100 AAs/tier! I'd buy the living dogsh*t out of those. And I bet a ton of other people would too!
    #3 - Extended Epics
    Epics haven't seen a lot of love in recent memory. I would LOVE to see significant quest lines every 2-4 expansions to update and upgrade these items. And...make them HARD. The value of an item or an activity isn't just tied to it's utility. It's also directly tied to the sense of accomplishment derived from having completed something truly difficult! These quest lines should absolutely be a major commitment by the player.
    #4 - Epic Tradeskill Quest(s)
    First, create an epic-tier quest line for people that have max'd the common tradeskills (exclude alchemy, poison-making and the like) that results in a consolidated TS Trophy with spectacular stats, resists, focus effects, and a superior bonus to TSs, such as 25%. Again, make this hard. While not a trade skill-specific question, I always think back to the Breakdown in Communication quest line from GoD. L O V E D T H I S! The sense of accomplishment for me in finishing this was only second to getting my Warrior Epic done!

#5 - A MUCH stronger emphasis on quests
    I mean...it's IN the name folks! We certainly don't want to turn the game into WoW...but, we should acknowledge that WoW DID do some things right. Their quest system is one of them. Start with a simple, easy, transparent change....increase the amount of exp given by existing quests. People WOULD do them...if they were worth the time and effort. It's just way WAY faster to simply grind mobs than it is to complete quests. We should really put the "Quest" back into Everquest, IMHO. And again, we absolutely DO NOT have to put big, gold exclamation marks about all the quest NPC's heads...and we don't need to turn the game experience into "Quests-On-Rails" like WoW and so many clones. Absolutely keep the sandbox feel of EQ...just make the rewards such that doing quests is actually attractive!

With Great Respect,
    Kak
    Metanis likes this.
  2. Kakgumu New Member

Here are some more collected ideas:

#6 - Guild Banner Clicky
    Personal clicky item to go to guild banner, even if it costs me RL Cash in the marketplace.
    This could be very similar to the Fellowship transport clicky. This could also be an AA like in #2 (above)

#7 - QoL : Rez effects should always go into your very last buff slot. SUPER easy to code and it would make a lot of folks happy.

#8 - WoW-style bazaar
    No one should have to tie up an entire account just to run a trader, off-line or otherwise. This isn't 2001 any more. For an aging title, this is an artifact that needs to be put out to pasture. Other games are doing this...and doing it well. Get with 2021 and make this happen please!

#9 - Larger trader satchels
    We have 40 slot tradeskill bags and 32-slot regular bags. Don't tie to perks...a super-expensive 20-slot trader satchel isn't over-the-top OP. A MEGA-expensive 32-slot trader satchel wouldn't be either...and you've added a compelling plat-sink w/o having to do #8 above. OR...combine them!

#10 Buff class NPCs
    Put optional, configurable NPCs in the guild hall that trade plat for rk2 buffs. #PlatSinkFTW
    Metanis and Fenthen like this.
  3. Kakgumu New Member

And....a few more...

#11 - Allow mercs on raids more than 3(ish) expansions old
    Will potentially make existing dead content relevant for players that have no access to it, without negatively impacting benefits of raiding current content. Right now there's a quasi-dead-zone in the content. Below this level it's trivial to single group...but there's a pretty big range of content, especially on TLPs, where it's too hard to single-group but trivial for a current raid force. DO NOT tweak the content! Just let us bring mercs! Content utilization goes up for a trivial change that doesn't at all impact current raiding and progression!

#12 - Bring back Leadership AAs
    I LOVED these back in the day! It was a wonderful idea that HELPED give people a little bit of an extra incentive to group. I would also love to see them expanded significantly! Maybe even tie them into the Tribute system?!?

#13 - Inspection window for pets i.e. Pet inventory
    I don't play a pet class...but if I did, I'd be ranting and raving for this! The utility, I believe, is immediately obvious. This could also be tied to a new line of Mage/BST mega-AAs that also also give the main pet classes the ability to swap out gear! maybe set the cost at 100 AA per location?

#14 - More Merc AAs!
    In case it wasn't obvious by now...I LOVE the AA system! Give me more of it! We already talked about character AAs...but how about giving us some more and some new Merc AAs!?!

#15 - Advanced Merc behavior/AI
    Leave the default state as it is now for people that don't want to mess with it. But, for those so inclined, give us a mechanism (perhaps a new UI element) where we can "tune" Merc behavior. Spells...buffs...which abilities to use and not use, etc. Tie this advanced behavior to a higher merc cost to add a bit more of the plat sink for balance. Perhaps this could be tied into the Advance Merc AAs of #14 (above)?

Kak
    Metanis likes this.
  4. Cicelee Augur

Those are all amazing and wonderful suggestions that I have never seen before on these forums! I have the complete and utmost confidence that every single one will be implemented by the start of the next expansion!

Thank you for those incredible and unique ideas to the forums!
  5. Dre. Altoholic

Pathing - It'd make more sense to point out the 1% of the worst examples of bad spots and address those individually. Changing the "pathing engine" could have serious reprocussions for older content.

Epic tradeskill quest - They have done a few iterations of these. IMO every time they do these it has bad consequences.

Quest emphasis - Unless you're being powerleveled I don't know what game you're talking about. Outside of extremely narrow situations, grinding out experience in EQ via kills is terrible and slow. Big chunks of EXP from mission completions and achievements are all the rage these days. Heck I dinged a bard 3x completing one CoV quest.

RezFX buff - I like this idea.

WoW Bazaar / Satchels - Would be great to see the archaic method of 'logged on trader with satchels' done away with. Especially if it preserves the /baz to parcels from anywhere.

Buff NPCs - Just put them in PoK, or maybe the Nexus. Don't need it restricted to guilded players.
  6. Kakgumu New Member

Yes...there's still more...

#16 - Chat filters and copy layout
    Could we please get the chat filters copied with the Copy Layout feature? My name is Kakgumu and I am an alt-o-holic. I have 35+ characters across 12 accounts. The amount of time and energy this would have saved and sill could save is just tremendous!

#17 - In-game, configurable DKP system
    This, to me, has been a complete, total no-brainer for 20 years.

#18 - Aug Distillers
    PLEASE Consolidate the augmentation distillers. Having 21 types is just excessive.

#19 - More debuff/dot slots on NPCs
    Perhaps that's the wrong way of positing the idea. ALL debuffs should be immediately viable. Currently it's 55 visible and 42 "hidden"...do I have that right?!? I understand that this arose out of a bug in the code...but it's well past time you folks went in and fixed this properly. Also...while you're in that section of the code, could you add some type of highly viable counter on the window so raiders can quickly see if there are or aren't any open buff slots on a mob please?!? Pretty Please?!?

#20 - 64-bit client.
    We've seen some rumblings from JChen about this as well as the new owners, EG7. Wonderful! Please make this happen ASAP!
    Metanis and Fenthen like this.
  7. Kakgumu New Member

#21 - Better UI scaling
    4K and up monitors are becoming the norm and not the exception now. And...the current UI just doesn't scale very well for these resolutions.

#22 - Multi invite
    Say you have 5 people to invite to your group, you just type /inv p1 p2 p3 p4 p5 and you've just sent out 5 group invites.

#23 - Trans-zone guild invites
    The hard requirement to be in the same zone seems a bit silly now.

#24 - Archery Animation
    Fix the animation for archery so the arrows are coming out of the center of the bow.

#25 - Character names
    It would be nice to see some of the character names that are unavailable because some players 15+ years ago used them. If an account hasn't logged in in 10 years toss a Z at the end of those character names and open them back up for use. We're really scraping the bottom of the barrel for character names these days.

Kak
  8. Smokezz The Bane Crew

#18 has already been done. You don't need all different ones, just buy the most expensive ones and forget all the others.
  9. Dre. Altoholic

My chat filters seem to copy over just fine. What I don't know is why auto consent group/raid/guild and tell windows need to be character-specific, or why it takes 45 seconds to reload the UI once it's copied.

Aug distillers - I think they already scale down. It'd be nicer if the game just 1. Didn't require them or 2. popped out augs when I tribute or destroyed an item.

If I could make one change in EQ tomorrow it would be replacing the fellowship campfire system with a 'group campfire' that the group leader drops and no check for players in range.
  10. Deux Corpse Connoisseur

#1 - Deletion of all assling druids from Everquest
    #2 - Deodorant and breath mints for Trolls ... their funk destroys any zone
    #3 - Make SoS randomly drop...this would be funny to see
    #4 - Admit there is code that senses if a player is about to die which causes Gates to collapse when cast
    #5 - Let NPCs loot a random item off your corpse if you die
    #6 - Make death permanent for assling druids
    #7 - Double xp loss if you die to a gray con
    #8 - Divide xp gain from kills by the # of mobs pounding on you...#swarmerscrymore
    #9 - Add a zero to all in-game npc vendor prices
    #10 - Bring back hell levels
    #11 - Make selos drain bard stamina
    #12 - Allow raid mob targets to gain a level if they wipe a raid force
    #13 - RNG that sometimes makes mobs have no loot when killed
    #14 - NPC bounties put on you due to slayer achievements
    #15 - Assassins that attack you anywhere anytime due to NPC bounties
    #16 - Random chance for weapons or armor to break
    #17 - Food and drink randomly poisons you
    #18 - Random death touch just for fun
    #19 - Zones that if you die you can't summon your corpse from...have to go back for it
    #20 - Zones with mobs that eat your corpse...you can lose all your stuff
    #21 - Make players headshotable by NPC rangers
    Metanis likes this.
  11. Dre. Altoholic

This is already implemented. "Tanking with bazaar gear"
    Fenthen likes this.
  12. demi Augur

I agree
    dont forget hand sanitizer
    that would be funny
    lol so true , that made me lol twice
    that would be kewl
    death permanent for anytoon would be awesome , corpse runs anyone
    agree
    make it so #1
    lol that would be awesome
    this goes with , death perm and corpse runs again ..
    no to this one