is it time for some new and exciting character models ?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by NinjutsuMMO, Sep 17, 2021.

1. Skrab East Cabilis #1 Realtor

They can just do limited popular race updates as illusions and sell it in their gambling box that violates Netherlands gambling laws.
  2. Nennius Curmudgeon

Or maybe, Perks 2.0.1
  3. Stymie Pendragon

/Rolls up newspaper...
    Gyurika Godofwar likes this.
  4. NinjutsuMMO Augur

that's not a bad idea...
    I wish they would move illusions to bard song window because I'm always in need of more buff slots for buffs and debuffs
  5. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

We will never, ever, ever, never see updated player character models. Ever. Too expensive for zero return.
  6. Skrab East Cabilis #1 Realtor

Nah, they can work on like Dark Elf, High Elf, and Human and sell those individually as illusions through loot boxes. It’d be a huge money maker as illusions are like crack to this audience.
    Kalvenie likes this.
  7. Tyranthraxus Grognard

They did start making "updated" models way back. You can see them in TBS Katta. The new human model. Players were not at all kind about the new art and it was thankfully scrapped.
  8. Nolrog Augur

I'd love more customization options as well as the option for new race/class combinations in the future (limited now because of animations and available armor sets.)
    Elyssanda likes this.
  9. ImaMedievalman New Member

The character models themselves aren't so bad, it's the animations. Small adjustments to the existing animations would reduce some of the issues (shoulders/arms resting at unrealistic angles, off-balance running poses, etc.). Doing small adjustments would not create problems with how the existing models interact with equipment, and it wouldn't anger the player base that's accustomed to the way their characters look.
  10. Qelil Augur

I like the models. I like the graphics too. I mean, look at my face. How could I possibly look any more handsome than I already do? You really want these guys doing plastic surgery on you? That doesn't always go so well you know. Remember Michael Jackson? I rest my case.
    Elyssanda and demi like this.
  11. Zunnoab Augur

All the chatter about how it's not realistic aside, now would be a terrible time to raise the system requirements. The game's player base is largely aging with some people using really old machines and now is the worst time in the history of gaming graphics cards to upgrade or buy a PC gaming machine. I can't believe the insanity is expected to go on through 2023 now too. Literally 5+ year old entry level gaming GPUs selling for more than a mid tier current generation GPU should cost if the market wasn't utterly broken at the moment, with individual current generation cards going for more than high-end gaming PCs would have gone for a couple years ago.

I never thought of that, but at least the Luclin Vah Shir faces are better than whatever disaster happened with the EQ2 Kerra faces (at launch at least, I haven't played EQ2 in a while and didn't see the EQ2 Vah Shir in action yet).
  12. demi Augur

I dont know about you .. but I run EQ up to 12 accounts on a 6gig EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 FTW2 GAMING, 9GHz, 06G-P4-6768-KR, 6GB GDDR5, iCX - 9 Thermal Sensors & LED G/P/M cost me almost 400 bucks back in 2017 .. and Im only running 16gig ram .. win 7 ..

the graphics cards from 6gig and below aren't that bad in price .. its when you get up to the 8gig to 12 gig that blows my mind 1300 to 2200 bucks .wowser .

the 6gig graphics card they have now will run you around 465$ , which isnt bad for 4 years of inflation ..
    Ram memory is still relatively cheap can get 32gig for $120 ..

I build my own system and install everything so I dont have to spend money at the big stores and not get what i want ..

over the next month im gonna upgrade my ram to 32gigs replace my 200gig SSD with a 1 or 2 TB SSD and get windows 10 .. that should last me another 5 to 7 years i hope .. although I'll prolly end up upgrading to win 11 within a year due to they say Microsoft is gonna stop win 10 updates by 2025 .. so might as well take them up on the free upgrade in the next 12 months

unfortunately , my CPU is only a 6 core and if i upgrade that i'll have to upgrade the motherboard and possibly Ram also .. but the 12 core or 16 core is looking nice .. AMD and Intel both have some nice deals on them ..
  13. Zunnoab Augur

Two things:
    First, graphics card power isn't measured in total video RAM. Second, graphics card power vs. price doesn't inflate over time normally and you paid an absurd price for a mid range card even back then. Ordinarily, there would be a 3050 from Nvidia that beats the 2060 for under $200. The chip shortage in combination with the mind boggling waste that is crypto currency is driving prices through the roof. Scalpers are annoying but are only enabled by the shortage.

As much for what is now a low end GPU as it costs to buy an entire video game console is bonkers.

All that said hypothetical new models would probably have an off switch rendering my argument moot. There is no way they have the resources to spare to revamp them anyway of course.
  14. Waring_McMarrin Augur

This is of course ignoring the fact that EQ doesn't take advantage of a graphics card and would need a revamp in order to full utilize a top end card.
  15. Zunnoab Augur

Yes, they clearly don't have the resources to do that but if they hypothetically did this would be the worst time in the history of PC gaming.
  16. Dre. Altoholic

We aren't getting new models, but maybe a few of the worst examples could get a little bit of help in the animation department.

I'd say the Iksar and male Drakkin are particularly bad. Male Elves, too.
  17. Andarriel Everquest player since 2000

Hate the new models models maybe if they could make them so they dont look like they just ran a few miles with there heavy breathing i might like it. Im on old models except for my ranger who has his on so he can see his hero forge armor.

Andarriel
  18. bortage spammin lifetaps

I think it'd be neat to redo the animations on the existing models and let us sheath our weapons

I don't think it'll ever happen though, but it seems a little odd that my shadowknight is running around town with a greatsword in one hand while buying groceries
    Stymie and Elyssanda like this.
  19. Fenthen aka Rath

They can't even finish an expansion worst of merc/partisans for 6 total zones, do you think we'd actually get something fun?
  20. Dre. Altoholic

idk seems pretty normal to me.

[IMG]