Zieri's EQ Question of the Week! #3

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Zieri, Sep 20, 2021.

1. Ozon Augur

Old Seb, from the first time I was there you could feel how it was once a magnificent placd. But since then it became such a desolate one.
    Skuz and Zieri like this.
  2. Nolrog Augur

LOL. Same here. Many good memories of starting out there all those years ago.
    Zieri likes this.
  3. Deux Corpse Connoisseur

Favorite - Overthere (original). You had a "low side" and "high side" xp area right outside the walls could stay there for many levels it was awesome. I found the ticking of the clockwork bankers sort of relaxing when I did my banking not to mention the noise of the cliff golems. Just a great great zone and the Kunark lore was outstanding...not many city zones you can stand almost stand in town while killing xp mobs. Gosh I need to go back and visit today!

Neriak Third Gate - An original zone for me...good memories of questing with "The Dead" folks there and the sound of the water trickling while I was working fishing...both for skill and for items to sell for coin to buy spells back when EQ was still young and stuff was hard! Loved the various Dark Elf LED signs :)

Katta in Luclin - gothic architecture in the cemetery area was excellent and moody with the TB zone next door. Luclin also had some of the best lore in EQ.
    Zieri likes this.
  4. Metanis Bad Company

Plane of Knowledge.

When you've run 6 characters to 350 in every tradeskill the convenience of this zone really grows on you.
    Zieri and Windance like this.
  5. Iven the Lunatic

1. Freeport:
    Center of the world in classic EQ and a trading and tradeskill hub on many servers (North Freeport, East Commonlands tunnel). It had an adventure atmosphere because of of its location at the borders of a desert and its port. It was meant to be a rough place with all types of people including scoundrels, soldiers, mercenaries, sailors, and even necromancers. On the downside it was splitted up into three zones with long ways.

2. Kelethin:
    For nostalgia because it was my starting city and it had an unusual design as a tree city. The lifts are still cool. It had all shops and guilds in a small area but was a bit puzzling because of its labyrinth character. The city theme music added alot atmosphere and is the most favourite EQ song between the players. It is also one of the few zones where adventure and city areas are combined in one zone which was great as zone loading times was huge. Was a player bazaar and tradeskill hub on many servers too.

3. Felwithe:
    Beautiful city with a peacefull atmosphere and a nice architecture. Great music too. It was not embedded that well because it was splitted up into two zones that also was separated from the Greater Faydark adventure zone. Even that the newbie area was pretty close most players with high elf PCs moved over to the more comfortable and adventurer friendly city of Kelethin quickly.
  6. Randomized Augur

Shiliskin aka Ruins of Illsalin because the music in that zone is phenomenal
    Ozon and Skuz like this.
  7. Act of Valor The Newest Member

I grew up in Freeport. I love it there. Well, before it changed.

I guess my answer would change if I started in Qeynos or something, but Freeport will be special to me forever.
  8. Act of Valor The Newest Member

Oh, and I forgot the comedy answer: Erudin Burning.
  9. Elyssanda Bardbrain

Kelethin..I learned how to selo's through the trees without dying..
    and I like Plane of life/decay.. really well planned and I just like that whole expansion
  10. Kalvenie Elder

Kelethin.
    As a dark elf, running to kelethin just to burn it to the ground is super, super satisfying.
    (But also, Kelethin is a great concept and I often have the music on a loop for relaxation).

Neriak.
    Duh. And, Neriak Fourth Quarter was a great edition in CotF.
    I especially like the Maiden's Fancy.

Castle Mistmoore.
    This castle concept is still really cool, and a fun zone to go to.
  11. Hegsheoshed Augur

The Froglok city in the Swamp of No Hope. The furniture is sparse but you can spruce it up really easy with a few hammocks. They've got huge barrel like outdoor hot tubs, just need a few bars around for some drinks and snacks. Fishing in the swamp just below and a nice meal at the Plum Flabbergasted Inn because you're gonna love the rooms.

Oh and the Liberated Citadel of Runnyeye. I still keep hoping for some missions from the goblins so you can actually buy shrunken headcheese, maggit pie and the rest of the menu at Eat It!
  12. Aethelric New Member

+1 to this, the concept of a third human city between player-startable Qeynos and Freeport intrigued me back in the day.
    Randomized likes this.