Coming back to Live, specifically Agnarr!

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by MetalBabble, Aug 23, 2021.

1. NinjutsuMMO Augur

Agnarr is the best server I’ve ever played on and I’ve played eq1 with the top guilds off and on for many years.
  2. VandilIzer Augur

That's not how this works... that's not how any of this works...
    code-zero likes this.
  3. Zentrick New Member

I rock a 65 Monk/SHM duo and love it!
  4. Abundant Elder

Sent you a pm.
  5. Montag Augur

I remember like 3 years ago you declaring Agnarr dead and its like you’ve been on a mission ever since to prove yourself right. Meanwhile here we are still loving it.

And acting like taking time to play a new TLP, or new game for awhile discredits us misses the entire point of what’s great about a server where you never have to worry about falling behind.

The continued popularity of servers like P99 should have been enough of a clue that there is a market for era-locked servers.
  6. Machen New Member

I was right. You and others argued at the time that there would always be a big population of people playing on Agnarr because new players would never be far behind and there would always be lots of people leveling up. The reality is that it has been one one of the fastest servers of all time to hit low pop, and it has stayed consistently among the 3-4 lowest pop servers in all of eq live or tlp for the last ~2 years. I can't remember the last time I saw it above low pop on the population meter, and I look at the list fairly frequently. Agnarr is right up there with Zek, Antonious Bayle, and Miragul.
  7. NinjutsuMMO Augur

Who said it would stay high or medium population ? Or is that one of your delusional memories?

It has a low population but a population none the less..
    it goes low, medium, high

If a low population server means it’s dead to you and you aren’t interested in it I can understand, at least with high population servers it’s easy for bad players to hide in the crowd and find groups so you’ll fit in there.
  8. Captain Video Augur

I think you meant to say "right down there", but even so, you don't know that. The cutoff between low and medium pop on the server status page is undefined; devs have declined to state the breakdowns. One theory is that Low = 0-1500, Medium = 1500-3000, and High = 3001+. In which case, Miragul could have 2 and Agnarr 1000, and they'd still both show up as "low" on the server status.

Agnarr is a social server and attracts players who spend as much time socializing as playing. It was intended to be a close equivalent to the old Al'Kabor server, which ran successfully for many years. It serves its intended purpose, which is why it isn't likely to change.
  9. Machen New Member

Out of 26 eq servers, it is one of the four most often at low pop. 22/26 servers clearly and consistently beat it. I don't know what your criteria is for a populated server, but in my estimaton, if you are battling for third from last against zek (no population because pvp has been dead since Gates of Discord launched / 2004), Miragul (no population because literally worst ever TLP ruleset), and Antonious Bayle (Once a great server, but no population because it's the only live server physically located in Europe and has had critical and absolutely crushing issues with lag and server stability for the last 6 years,) you are probably not in a healthy or thriving situation.
  10. Machen New Member

You might want to check out the player collected data at eqresource.com.

https://eqresource.com/serverstatus.php

TLDR; your "estimates" and theories are all wrong, we can actually know a LOT about the difference between low and medium, and WHEN servers are low or medium matters a lot.

Edit to add -- only the four I mentioned have been consistently, 100% of the time, low pop for the last 3 months.
  11. Machen New Member

Al`Kabor had more population if you compare any phase of its existence to Agnarr, other than Agnarr's first 3-6 months of existence when it was the only available new TLP.
  12. Xeris Augur

It all depends on what your definition of "dead" is. Low pop doesn't mean anything. I don't think anyone expected or cares whether or not Agnarr has 3,000 people playing the server except you. There are probably 200-300 people actively playing the server.

There's enough for multiple guilds to consistently raid content, there's always new people coming, old people leaving, old people returning... There are groups, pick up raids, and so on. So: what more do you actually want?

Your arguments literally make no sense, you're just being negative for the sake of being negative. Considering the fact that every month or so, there's some dude posting on these forums curious about Agnarr, there's definitely still interest. And when these posts come up, the people that ACTUALLY play on this server talk about how it's a fun place to play. The people that don't play here are the ones who call it dead.

Shrug.
  13. Captain Video Augur

Proof?

Even if that statement were true, which I seriously doubt (since Al'Kabor required Mac-specific client software), so what? The Agnarr server has a purpose, the players there are happy with it, and DBG is perfectly willing to let it run. What does it matter to you? I'm not the only one observing what appears to be quite an odd obsession on this topic. The server rules aren't going to change just because a few people on the forum want something else.
  14. Darchon_Xegony Augur

This is an undervalued comment. Anyone looking for PoP era EverQuest is hard pressed to find a better server. Agnarr is more an LDON locked server which is evidence by the fact that most exp groups occur in LDoNs and Splitpaw on Agnarr. There aren’t regular Valor/BoT/Fire exp groups on Agnarr really they just raid Time every week and that’s about it for PoP content.

This is not true. Agnarr had like 15+ Guilds clear Time I think?

On AK only 1 guild entered time and only 2 guilds entered elemental planes. For basically the first 6-7 years of Al’Kabor the regular raid attendance of the 2-3 active guilds capped around 40 people. Even in the last year of the server raids for the 2-3 guilds on the server would basically never break 40 people. Very rarely did we get more than that and only special occasions like Coirnav / Ginto / Dust / Rathe etc. It was not uncommon to have nights where we would raid with 20 mains and a few boxed clerics.

Meanwhile Agnarr has 3 guilds with pretty full raids clearing Time weekly plus they can fill another play raid with everyone’s boxes that are fully raid geared too.
  15. Montag Augur

Low ≠ Dead.

And I have chars in the only raid guild on Miragul and can assure you Agnarr is way more active than Miragul or Zek.

Agnarr is low pop, I've never denied that, but the people there are active and more friendly/helpful than anywhere else in EQ and it is a great place to play.