Why game-breaking patches on same-day as TLP launch?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Xanadas, Sep 17, 2021.

1. Xanadas Augur

I can't believe I even have to ask this question. Why? Why would you break major parts of the game on the SAME DAY as a major TLP expansion release? Every time I feel like DPG is finally getting it together, a decision like this is made. I can't even with you guys sometimes......
  2. Randomized Augur

Correct me if I’m wrong, but aren’t expansion releases just really large patches?
    Corwyhn Lionheart likes this.
  3. Accipiter Old Timer

What server and what expansion?

There will be times patch day and expansion launch day coincide.

What are DBG's options? Move it up a week? A day? Move it back? Either way people are going to complain. Besides, how much time did you really miss 2:00 PDT when new expansions usually launch and the time the servers came up?
  4. Waring_McMarrin Augur

They patch the game on the same schedule every month and they don't change it for the TLP release schedule. Patch day is pretty much always the third Wednesday of the month outside of special events such a new expansion launch or other special event.
  5. Xanadas Augur

They used to be, but now TLP expansion unlocks are seamless and scripted and no downtime required.
    Fenthen and Skuz like this.
  6. Tappin Augur

I asked the question long time ago and dev said no to it.
  7. Xanadas Augur

Rizlona just launched GoD on the same day they broke AOCs all over the game (not just Rizlona). So all the hype of being able to do all the cool GoD content in your own DZ just totally fell flat - even worse, people are burning their 5 or 6 day DZ timers and can't even zone into the DZs to do the content.
  8. Maedhros High King

Gates of Discord launched February 9th, 2004. Not sure what kind of hype you're talking about.
    Fenthen, Szilent, Sancus and 2 others like this.
  9. Randomized Augur

TLP server unlocked GoD
  10. Waring_McMarrin Augur

How many TLP servers have unlocked and cleared GoD before now? At this point there really isn't much special about it and I don't think they expected to have these kind of issues.

In the end no matter when it was released it would have caused issues.
    Fenthen and Skuz like this.
  11. Accipiter Old Timer

I see. Definitely the lockout issue is a big deal.

It sucks, but personally, I don't think DBG should worry about releasing a TLP expansion on patch day. Will all the TLPs we have now, it's almost unavoidable.
  12. Accipiter Old Timer

He was being sarcastic. Many Live players feel the need to bash TLPs.
  13. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

The question should be why did they choose to release another expansion on a patch day? It is easily avoided by not launching TLPs on a Wednesday.

As was said in a pervious post, patches are always 3rd Wednesday of every month. Sometimes things don't go to plan. It happens and we move on.
  14. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Schedules collide, sometimes they are beneficial sometimes they are detrimental.

Try being an EU player and having most of the extended patches taking place during your main playtime window instead of before you get home from work...
    minimind likes this.
  15. Accipiter Old Timer

All TLP expansions release on Wednesdays.
  16. Skrab East Cabilis #1 Realtor

Seems like an easy problem to avoid, but EQ doesn’t typically make good decisions.

Do you not have calendars?
  17. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

Which means there is always an expansion every so often that clashes with a patch, due to some months having 5 weeks and some having 4.

I just gave a possible solution to avoid this on future TLPs.
  18. Waring_McMarrin Augur

Even if they don't launch on a Wednesday is it any different if the launch comes a few days before or after the patch?
  19. Skrab East Cabilis #1 Realtor

Yes, you shouldn’t time feature launches with maintenance patches. Patches always add bugs, and it gives a chance to fix some large issues before that wave of players hit. Player interests always peaks on expansion launches or holidays.

User experience has to be the priority not arbitrary patch times. Plus, we’re talking about editing a date for a conflict that could’ve been identified whenever the TLP was launched.

They make bank off of TLPs, it’s a fair request by the player base. Don’t time things with patches, because bugs will happen.
  20. Accipiter Old Timer

Oh, I agree. Just saying that the chances of a patch day and one of the many TLPs expansion launches occurring on the same day are pretty high.