A Guild Hall Explosion; I think a setting was missed in a patch.

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Winnowyl, Sep 16, 2021.

1. Winnowyl Suffering is optional.

So there I was, sitting outside in the cool Florida night. It was 9:42PM Eastern Time. I'm on my way to getting decently high.

Then I get a text message.

"Well that was crazy. All of the sudden the Guildhall went totally blank and everything got sent back."

I'm sorry. What? So I come inside on the double, sit down, wake up my monitor, and see my characters standing in an empty guild hall. There is nothing left but the people. I open the plot items window to see if everything was stored for some reason. No. The hall is completely empty. The hall itself is still present. The items in the yard and in storage in the yard are still present. The crate had been placed inside. It was gone. But I have a parcel! Yes, friends and neighbors. It is indeed a crate of eviction.

Upon closer inspection, something seems.... off.. about this crate of eviction. The address on it is for a regular plot, not a guild hall. And there's only one crate, so it has to have come from the guild hall. What sorcery is this? Some other people have a parcel accurately labeled as having come from the guild hall. Just in case, crates from the 'house' pulled out the crates, placed and emptied them. They contained the items that were in the guild hall, which often included (or were limited to) the anchors, which we all know are lore. These items could ONLY have come from the guild hall. The Note for this read: Owner Transferred Servers.

Since the introduction of guild halls about 10 years ago, a guild hall purchased and placed belonged to the person who purchased it. If they changed servers, the guild hall went with them. All items were parceled back to members with the note that the owner changed servers. Which seems to be precisely what happened here.

But back in the patch on February 16, 2021 there was a bit of code added regarding the ownership of guild halls. The important bit is this:

- Made the following changes to guild halls to prevent them from being removed when a player deletes their character or server transfers:
    - - Placed guild halls no longer have an item owner, instead, they are owned by the guild.
    - - Only the guild leader will be able to put a placed guild hall in their inventory.

What that means, is once a guild hall is placed, ONLY the guild leader can remove it from the plot. It ALSO means, that once a guild hall is placed, it no longer has an owner. It belongs to the GUILD. I think you see where this is headed.

We had a long standing member of our guild that left recently. Who then changed servers. The plot that they owned was at the address listed that some people got with their crates of eviction. Given the previous patch notes, those crates and items should not have gone out, because that person no longer owned the guild hall. Obviously, something went awry. It didn't remove their ownership as it should have, but somehow also tied their personal plot to the ownership of the guild hall.

There is nothing that can be done for our hall. We have a recent save, and as long as we can get in contact with the people that had items placed that no longer play, we can rebuild it easily enough. It sucks, but it's not the end of the world. But, I want to bring this to the attention of the population at large. This isn't going to be a common thing, by any means. Lots of folks that buy the guild hall and place it will never leave your guild, much less your server. Maybe they retired 6 years ago. Whatever. But I thought y'all should be aware that it IS something that can happen until we can get confirmation that this is fixed.

Love, peace, and chicken grease! <3