AoC on live is a huge let down.

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Kogmaw, Sep 15, 2021.

1. Barraind Grumpy Old Bastage

Roshen spoke about it waaaaaay back when Phinny was launched, but I cant even find posts I know he made (by seeing them in the different forums) in threads he started through the search feature, so I would have no idea where to find that anymore. Thats how it was explained to us on test by Ngreth when he would hang out on the PoK bank, and I think PB still has some of those screenshots somewhere (but Got was handling that side of things and we havent seen Got in years since he retired the last time).

As much as Fanra and EQresources (among others) try, this games documentation for that kind of stuff, even officially, has never been good.
  2. Dre. Altoholic

Fair enough. Sounds like a half-cocked "lore" justification that doesn't make sense when analyzed. Pretty typical sort of response we get.

My money is on a deliberate slowdown mechanism for TLP being the true motivator.
  3. Kogmaw Lorekeeper

.............I mean if the shoe fits.....
  4. Gyurika Godofwar Augur

Don't blame Test for your lack of knowledge on how to use the agents of change.
    Ozon and Randomized like this.
  5. Wyre Wintermute I'm just a butterly dreaming I'm a man

Yeah, test can't test everything either. Having AoC's identify a toon's account status just isn't testable on test (or on TLP's really) because they're all the same. The big hiccup was pushing it across all servers and having it start trying to differentiate "free" accounts vs All Access accounts. I bet dollars to donuts that if AoC's were just made available to all accounts on all servers, this snafu probably wouldn't have occurred.
    Gyurika Godofwar likes this.
  6. Kogmaw Lorekeeper

Clearly if you've read anything here, (and the fact that they have brought the servers down to patch it) you'll know its not my lack of knowledge, its that they were released in an inexcusably broken state. How about you follow along while the grown ups talk timmy? hmm?
  7. Kogmaw Lorekeeper

it absolutely 110% should be! the idiot that forgot this little detail should get a serious talking to.

"Hey bob, wtf you thinking making AoC for all-access only but not testing if it *#$ing works?!?"

I completely agree. KISS right? keep it simple. are they trying to use AoC to entice more people to go all access? there are better ways to do it than foist an untested feature on an unsuspecting public with little to no knowledge on how they intended it to work out.

So many people have had so many stupid issues is just dumb.

The testing they did, which i actually witnessed, was a GM in game, popping into game at level 1, poofing to level 110, hailing AoC for ToV, then TPing to the zone, when I clicked the who gm in game button he was next in luclin for VT. was this the "testing" they had in mind? all done by 1 poor bastard, after it was released and general in FV was already fired up with mixed results, lockouts, denied entries for all sorts of dumb reasons, etc. etc.
  8. Gyurika Godofwar Augur

What's with the bad attitude? Is that just the way you talk to people who either disagree with you or have a different opinion? That's not how you get any help but I guess it shows your level of maturity and common courtesy.
  9. Captain Video Augur

If you were a DBG employee, your forum name would be in red.

Many of us DO know their financial state, since a detailed report was published at the time of the sale late last year. It is excellent. Surely someone who works for the company would know this already.

Forum software says your first post here was 12 Apr 2019. Busted.
    Nennius likes this.
  10. Kogmaw Lorekeeper

You're just illiterate. like totally illiterate. No where ever, not once anywhere, did I ever once claim to work for DBG. learn to read pal.
    Kaenneth likes this.
  11. Kogmaw Lorekeeper

You start your first post here, after reading 1 post into this thing, with a toxic comment and expect courtesy in return?

damn millennials...
  12. Nennius Curmudgeon

You said, "I mean not to brag, but I work for the company, and on the very product that hosts and stores this games data". You stated that you don't work for DBG and so am I correct in thinking that you work the company that manages their servers? I would have to assume so, since otherwise you would have no certain way of knowing just product their data runs on.
  13. Kogmaw Lorekeeper

very short sided...or still illiterate.

Ok let me edumakate you.

companies dont "own" everything they use. Some things they "own" some things they do not "own" in this case they "own" a NAS that stores most of their game files. (among many other things) but any visual aspect of the game-everything you can see-in game and here on the forums, is stored on as unstructured data on a NAS. This particular NAS is a "super computer" (for lack of a term you'll understand) that is comprised of nodes. Nodes are also computers. so you have a "computer" that is a conglomerate of many littler computers, each 10x more powerful than what you are borrowing from mom right now to type your short sided replies. The game database is stored (usually) on a SAN, one that specializes in structured data. What they pay monthly for is a service contract. They pay my company money to service and support this NAS that stores 80% of the game. (outside of the databases which run like dogs#$& on a NAS) When you zone all the files that have to be loaded are pulled from the NAS. This is where my company comes in. If the NAS ever has issues, DBG/DBG's parent company (who actually owns the NAS)'s IT team calls my company to help fix it. I'm not on the team that handles those types of calls, I'm on the federal team so I work with top secret crap. but I do have access to all their SRs (service requests)
    These things are not for public eyes though. That said I can look at the logs that have been freely uploaded, regular maintenance logs, "dial home" logs. etc. and see a snapshot of the clusters performance at any given time. I can also assist the TSE who gets those cases due to my seniority here...but as my wife just said "sounds like your typing a book" that is a huge wall of text and a very very basic rundown on what I do, and why I know these things.

again I do not work for DBG. I work for the company who built and services the machine that stores 80% of the game.
  14. Nennius Curmudgeon

Wow! After I cut the drivel there was an answer to my question. And gratuitous insults just make you look foolish. And you actually do seem to like to brag. Just sayin'

I actually would like to ask another question, but I can only imagine the lengthy response that might bring. So, be safe and I am grateful that the systems run at all and do run well much of the time.

P.S. I wasn't the one who said you worked for DBG. Your aim was a bit off there.
  15. Randomized Augur

To be fair, his use of commas is way off. The way it's structured, grammatically at least, says he works for DBG AND the company that builds and services yadeeyadeeya
  16. Nennius Curmudgeon

Good point. Which is why I asked a simple question. In any case, it demonstrates that a LOT of folks have to work together to make this whole thing work so I, and others, can pay for it. Be safe folks, and I hope the servers come up before tomorrow and don't have too many new bugs to be stamped out.
  17. Gyurika Godofwar Augur

You're the one acting toxic and behaving in an immature manner by insulting pretty much everyone you've responded to, the devs and the game in general.

I feel sorry for anyone who has to deal with you on a daily basis.
    Khat_Nip and Thraine like this.
  18. Barraind Grumpy Old Bastage

You also have to take into account that almost every TLP to launch since AoC's were added were truebox, which naively considers "you" to be one account and not multiple accounts, so it gives "you" a lockout, not just the character you chose to do it on.
  19. Accipiter Old Timer

He said he works for the company that hosts EQ's servers. Probably AWS.
  20. Accipiter Old Timer

Sorry, but that's ridiculous. I have no idea where you got this. Separate accounts are separate, Truebox or not.