Do you think

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by quakedragon, Sep 15, 2021.

1. henry0918 Journeyman

can you guys turn back time and bring EQ back to its glory day like in the 2000 ?
    maybe increase the marketing budget and hire some young hot streamer to play the game ?
  2. Nennius Curmudgeon

3. Veteran_BetaTester PIZZA!

I believe it is imperative that staff play the game they are employed with.
  4. Khat_Nip Meow

I'm going to be that person that calls out lazy people that make short thread titles that give the visitor no indication of what the thread is about.

Unsure if you knew this but you can actually make titles of threads one hundred characters long here

That sentence directly above is exactly how long a thread title can be. It is exactly 100 characters.

This thread title:
    Do you think

Main body of message:
    Do you think they allow the developers working on EQ get to play Video Games while at work?

I'm not digging on you specifically, quakedragon, but come on everyone, put some effort into engaging more eyeballs and knowledge by being more direct on what you're asking about up front instead of you being vague and luring someone in to something they may have no interest in.
  5. demi Augur

I did not know this .. thanks
  6. FranktheBank Augur

Do you think

people will ever understand how to properly make thread titles?
  7. Randomized Augur

But muh clickbait!
    Mikana likes this.
  8. Khat_Nip Meow

Which amounts to a big, super-huge, gigantic nothing.
    Randomized likes this.
  9. Tarvas Redwall of Coirnav, now Drinal

Playing the game for an hour a day isn't going to get you very far very fast. I think it's a huge ask to have these folks who work on in it all day spend their leisure time on it.
  10. demi Augur

no it wont , but it will get you some in-game experience and a gist for how the game mechanics are and what is/does work and what doesnt .. also thru general chat you'll hear alot of stuff that is either wrong or needs fixing or things of that nature .. the point is to not play a ton the point is to just play the game ..

also im not saying they need to play the game for hours a day after their 10hour shift .. but a few hours a week on either an evening or 2 or on their day off .. doesnt even have to be every week just so they can play once in awhile and actually know what the community is talking about ..

Would you like to play a game ?
  11. kizant Augur

I wouldn't consider writing software as work. It's one of the most enjoyable things you can do and it's definitely way more fun than playing video games. So, I can nderstand not wanting to do both but if you're one of the rare people that like playing video games then I can totally see playing EQ while also working on it.
  12. Metanis Bad Company

If I was a Dev I'd play the game too just so I could scare the noobs.
  13. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

Do we think???? Do we think??? No, we know!!!!

Jchan plays on TLP

others have admitted it on the forums and if you have ever beta tested they are there too. I am sure they all love their work so much they do play the game. And other games. That is just in a gamers makeup - to play games.

Other's make up is to waste time asking silly questions.

And other's is going off half cocked, wasting more time and answering those silly questions

But it would be nice if they were not given insta level to top raid ability and all the goodies and have to actually go thru the camps etc to get that one item. And I mean stuff that is say, level 70-90 on a 70-90 character.
  14. Meeko Developer(Code)

I play EQ and have been for ~15yrs with a few small breaks in there.

I agree that it's important to understand the project you're working on. When it comes to video games, what better way to do that than by playing?

Personally, I also find it rewarding to be able to see the new feature/bug fix I've been working on show up while playing.
    Skuz, Kialya, Maedhros and 15 others like this.
  15. Zieri Content Designer

I play EverQuest! I started during PoP era, and have also played EQ2, EQOA, EQmac and Champions of Norrath. I also was in the Guide program for a bit between my stints working on the game. :)
    Skuz, Kalvenie, Kialya and 9 others like this.
  16. Bigstomp Augur

Do you ever observe (I know devs can do that) other players interacting with work you've done before/after and think huh, I didn't think anyone would do that that way.
  17. Tucoh Augur

What I'd really love to know is which classes devs spend their time on, and if there's anyone who is a pariah at the office that plays a monk or wizard and that's why those classes have been gimped for years. Also whether someone *really* popular plays a Shadowknight.
  18. Randomized Augur

That seems a bit passive aggressive there buddy lol

But it would be interesting to know if each class has their own respective devs or how the resources are allocated there. I’ve heard the gripe about Wizards, but I thought Monks were in an okay spot?
  19. Accipiter Old Timer

Small nit, but the way it should be is every single developer tests their own code thoroughly before turning it over to QA. The problem with EQ is that it's so complex that isn't really practical in some circumstances. Fixing raid bugs must be the worst in this regard.
  20. Accipiter Old Timer

Where do you live that a regular shift is 10 hours?
    Stymie likes this.