Proposal: More EverQuest Perks for Whales

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Allworth, Sep 14, 2021.

1. Abundant Elder

If you needed to come up with a worst idea to post on almost any MMO forum anywhere this would likely take most cakes. Smh, absurd.
  2. Dre. Altoholic

Be pretty cool to just see subscribed players get these.
  3. Zanarnar Augur

I decided (lifetime sub makes this easier/possible I guess) that I won't spend another cent in the cash shop or on a krono (rare moment of weakness) while these exist and aren't simply part of All-Access as advertised (Even to this day) I'm sure I'm not the only one who feels this way, based on the responses to their announcement. I hope it loses them money overall.
  4. Triconix Augur

If you cannot comprehend how gatekeeping in-game mechanic avoiding perks behind a credit card won't ruin immersion then I'm not really sure it's worth explaining to you.

A person playing the game witnessing someone with perks able to circumvent in-game mechanics with no chance to acquire such ability in game is completely immersion breaking.
    We aren't arguing the merits of what are good mechanics and what are bad mechanics. It has no bearing on this conversation. If you create perks that allow select people to circumvent current in game mechanics, regardless if you view them as good or bad, you effectively kill immersion by giving select few individual clear advantages. The only reasonable way to introduce such perks will have secondary routes of acquiring them through gameplay of near equal effort. If something costs X amount of dollars, the second option must allow players to acquire it through X hours of gameplay. And if you do this, why not just patch it out completely? Now I've completely nullified your need for your beloved perks.

Also, all your examples of bad mechanics being phased out have nothing to do with purchasable perks? They were patched out of the game globally for all. They weren't extra perks that individuals had to buy. Your examples are equivalent to Microsoft selling Windows 10, providing the free updates, but having them lock the start menu behind a paywall.
    In my opinion, anyone who feels the need to continuously call themselves a whale is most likely not a whale, unless they are referring to their BMI.

Again, more of your examples that were implemented globally for all players, not locked behind paywalls. I only see one that is on the fence, but at least the store potions are not 100% uptime forever. Your arguments truly lack substance. You really need to try harder, bub.
    So you are argeeing with me that it's perfectly reasonable that magic dragons can prevent things like levitation in their sacred temple? Got it. Thanks for that.
    Not really, as explained above. What destroys immersion is allowing players avoid game mechanics through use of a plastic card in their wallet while not offering it to others who have another currency to leverage, time/hours. One of the main foundations of MMOs is that its audience was those with lots of time to devote to playing and being immersed in another world. Your suggestions want to strip that away from them.
    Abundant, Baratu and Skuz like this.
  5. Kazz99 Elder

Pretty simple solution, let them be bought with Krono....

Also, if the level of effort for the dev team to implement this is fairly low then I do not see how they "can lose money on it" because, be real folks, you are here playing a 20 year old game... you aren't leaving over this. Whether you agree or disagree.
  6. Stymie Pendragon

I chuckled and nodded at the same time. You've got a point, especially when you consider how cheap the perks are per month. We're talking couch cushion money at best. Goldfish might even be a stretch.
  7. Allworth Elder

After all the money making schemes that Daybreak has concocted over they years, you stayed silent, but only now you come out of the woodwork to express your chagrin at the idea of harmless perks.

You don't have the courage to tell the devs directly that you think Perks are a horrible idea, but you find the courage to tell me? Very brave of you! :)
  8. Allworth Elder

My suggestions? More like Perks in general. Maybe you don't like Krono, the Cash Shop or other things that give advantages to people with money to spend. Maybe EverQuest 2021 is not for you.

You don't have the stones to tell the devs directly that you don't like perks, so instead you take our your frustration on me. You're a real profile in courage. Got it.

The Morale of the Story

To new players and old EQ players returning here's a bit of advice: don't post any suggestions or new ideas that might upset a few status quo loving, cantankerous forum neckbeards because you're in their forums now.
  9. yepmetoo Abazzagorath

Post less abjectly ignorant ideas and you'll get less blowback from people. I mean, by virtue of posting them you are ASKING for criticism and feedback. Expecting everyone to agree with you is just sad.
  10. Accipiter Old Timer

Probably. I know a whale. He's worth north of $100 million. He was spending about $1,000 a month on Clash of Clans back when it was popular. Dumb? To me, yeah. But to him it wasn't even noticeable.
    Abundant likes this.
  11. Accipiter Old Timer

Damn, son. Ease up.
    Stymie likes this.
  12. Triconix Augur

Did I touch a nerve? You seem pretty angry.

If you don't want rebuttals or objective criticism, just don't post? There's nothing wrong with a healthy debate. You seem too emotional, though. Sorry you feel attacked. I'm just giving you counterpoints to your suggestions. Maybe discussions aren't exactly a healthy option for you?

And what makes you think I don't state to devs that they are bad ideas? I'm not taking frustration out.
  13. Abundant Elder

With all due respect 14 servers played 2000-2021. I took 2 months at the end of Mangler to work with staff to end censorship on forums and get us proper customer service or DBG/EQ was going to have an exposure article done by me on MMORPG.com that one the oldest and well known MMO was not offering objective and integrity based custom service for 10,000+ paying customers. They haven't done amazing, but large improvements since Coirnvav/Mangler.

Perhaps don't assume . You definitely haven't the slightest clue who I am irl or sim either. Not going to say I know much about you and sure you're a reasonable dude. I am the top dog of EQ bub. God bless no ill will or hard feelings too. Not everyone agrees on everything in life.
  14. Accipiter Old Timer

[IMG]
    Stymie and Abundant like this.
  15. Baratu New Member

Whoa. I genuinely thought OP was satire until I kept reading. lulz
  16. Wyre Wintermute I'm just a butterly dreaming I'm a man

FIFY

That'd throw all the server economies into turmoil for sure!
  17. banjominnow New Member

18. Allworth Elder

You didn't offer any constructive critique. If you did, then that would be fine. I fully expected inflammatory cherry picking responses because this is Forumquest after all and EQ forum warriors worth their salt seem to love word jousting for sh*ts and giggles. Tearing apart people's suggestions give them a sense of intellectual superiority. I'm glad my proposal provided you with some small entertainment and boosted your self-esteem. Thanks for the bumps too. :)

I think I understand why you are protecting the status quo. This is your private dojo right? You're special because you got a sig right? This is personal for you and the handful of people that monopolize these forums using different accounts that love to derail threads. These forums are like a private club where viewpoint diversity is not welcome. New ideas and new perspectives are a threat to the fragile egos of forum warriors and must not be tolerated. Thankfully Daybreak Games knows better and doesn't take the negative reaction of gatekeeping neckbeards seriously.

More perks are coming because they will earn big $$$ for Daybreak Games. Money talks and you-know-what walks. I will gladly spend money on perks and so will thousands of others including you.
  19. Abundant Elder

The key to this project is the giant laser, which was invented by the noted Cambridge physicist, Dr. Parsons. Therefore, we shall call it: "The Alan Parsons Project". #salute
  20. Abundant Elder

Triconix > Noworth, er Allworth*

Go play some new age MMO or phone game perhaps. Just a suggestion.