200% bonuses to rare spawn timers and faction gains

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Fanra, Sep 14, 2021.

1. Fanra https://everquest.fanra.info

A 200% bonus means 3x normal. Normal is 100% plus 200% bonus equals 300%.

So if a placeholder has a 1% chance to spawn a named, 200% bonus means there is now a 3% chance.

And if a mob gives +10 faction, now it gives +30 faction.

At least that's how the wording is.

Is it meant to be double and thus a 100% bonus and not a 200% bonus?

Also, this says "faction gains". Does not mention faction losses, so according to the wording that would mean all faction losses are not affected by the bonus.
  2. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

usually normal is 100% so with the way eq words stuff it will be a twice the regular chance.

If a mob usually has a 4% chance to spawn as named it will be 8% with the bonus.

And with the XP 150% will be 50% on top of the regular amount.
  3. Szilent Augur

it's not "the way EQ words stuff", Fanra is correct in observing that the bonuses are advertised in a new & likely inaccurate way. Clearly Fanra expects what you expect, that the bonus is "+100%" -- which is how it's been "worded" every time in the past.
  4. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

/shrug I've seen both ways of wording it used in the past, consistency has not exactly been great.

The problem is that on TLP servers the XP rates prior to TSS are below 100% (and on FV are already 150%) so to say 150% is factually wrong, and should be +50% to the server's base XP.
  5. theonepercent Augur

I don't remember ever seeing it worded the way this announcement was. They've said 200% before but not a 200% bonus.
    TLPs being lower exp or FV being higher doesn't matter. On those servers the base exp rate is still 100%, it's just less/more than other servers 100%.
  6. Kaenneth [You require Gold access to view this title]

Pretty sure that for rare spawns, they double their space in the table, so that a table with 10% rare 90% common becomes 20 'percent' rare 90 'percent' common, meaning ~18% rare, ~82% common.
  7. Accipiter Old Timer

[IMG]
  8. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

What kinda maths classes did you not take?
    Gyurika Godofwar likes this.
  9. theonepercent Augur

I took the one that actually teaches stuff, how bout you?

With no bonus:
    If you kill a mob on Mischief you get 100% of the xp that mob is supposed to give.
    If you kill a mob on FV you get 100% of the xp that mob gives
    If you kill a mob on Bertox you get 100% of the xp that mob gives

With 50% bonus

If you kill a mob on Mischief you get 150% of the xp that mob gives
    If you kill a mob on FV you get 150% of the xp that mob gives
    If you kill a mob on Bertox you get 150% of the xp that mob gives

The servers are completely unrelated to each other. Having different exp rates means nothing. Each server still starts at 100%.
  10. Elyssanda Bardbrain

I'm just glad that Ely and Kat finally got Blasphemous Steel tonight. have spent far far FAR too long killing efreetis to no avail.. now, sadly he did not drop the aug I want.. but at least I got him for hunter.
  11. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

He still evades me for mine. :mad:
  12. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

That's one way to look at it, it's the wrong way to look at it though.

Let's say for the sake of this example that "Progression XP" is 80% of live's 100% baseline

With no bonus:
    If you kill a mob on Mischief you get 80% of the xp that mob gives on a standard live server.
    If you kill a mob on Bertox you get 100% of the xp that mob gives as it is a standard live server.
    If you kill a mob on FV you get 150% of the xp that mob gives on a standard live server.

With 50% bonus additive to the base

If you kill a mob on Mischief you get 130% of the xp that mob gives on a standard live server.
    If you kill a mob on Bertox you get 150% of the xp that mob gives on a standard live server.
    If you kill a mob on FV you get 200% of the xp that mob gives on a standard live server.

If I used your math we would get.

With 50% bonus

If you kill a mob on Mischief you get 120% of the xp that mob gives on a standard live server.
    If you kill a mob on Bertox you get 150% of the xp that mob gives on a standard live server.
    If you kill a mob on FV you get 225% of the xp that mob gives on a standard live server.
  13. Randomized Augur

That's also assuming that all servers are connected, but they're not.

You're comparing apples to oranges

FV is not the same as Bertox
    theonepercent likes this.
  14. Herf Augur

When it comes to bonus spawns, I just figure it means "more" :)
    Thunderkiks likes this.
  15. theonepercent Augur

Bonuses aren't additive to the base. They're additive with each other and multiplied by the base.

edit: until perks which afaik is the first multiplicative bonus.
  16. Dre. Altoholic

What I want to know is -

Who are the people planning their lives around these spawn and experience percentages?
    Szilent likes this.
  17. Herf Augur

/em raises hand.
  18. Dre. Altoholic

Care to elaborate on your plan for ditching other activities for EQ?
  19. Accendo Guest

The wording has been adjusted to be clearer in both the article and the forum post.
    Herf and theonepercent like this.
  20. Herf Augur

Well I'm semi retired, so I plan to drop watching TV, sleeping in late or playing games on the Switch during the XP bonus period.