Long lasting expansion

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by quakedragon, Sep 13, 2021.

1. quakedragon Augur

Should they make a long lasting expansion?

Like the end game group part of the expansion, mobs are 115, then 120s, then 125s, then 130s.

So say the level does not increase.
    Your 115 and fighting 130s, they don't expect anyone to beat them, kind of like the Sleeper. They do drop loot but they made them pretty much impossible because its a long lasting expansion. Like you have to come back to it a few expansions later and maybe they continue on content within that expansion (like expansion, next years expansion is expansion to that previous year expansion).

Also, have the TSS like part for returning players (so like a solo/molo friendly to 115), so they get familiarized with it, they remember it and when they return again, it's still ongoing and they remember. Incentive to come back and finally do the tough part of it to see what it was all about.

Sure if you get 20+ players doing the group content (in a raid form) together maybe able to do the 130 stuff and that geardrops are wearable at 115. Sure there are raids too, but maybe too hard too impossible. It'll be like doing HA's at 80, fighting a boss that is NOT SCALED DOWN and he's meant for 110s, yes impossible fights, very angry returning players having to deal with this.

What do you think?

I think is good because, this game has a lot of hardcore type raiders, they'll complain raids are over with within a few months. SO, if you make raids that are not meant to be finished in the expansion, but the expansion after that is suppose to help them and they'll be able to move on to the next step, raiders, can't say "we beat everything, next, when is next expansion? still waiting" because its a long lasting expansion, still stuff there, they aint going to beat. This will give raid guilds competitive again, because 'can they beat something that isn't meant to be beat, whose going do it if they can?'

ALSO with the TSS part of it, returning players they'll know where the path is for catching up, its no longer 'have you tried this zone, have you tried gribbles, have you tried this and that'. It'll be "go here, gotta buy the expansion though, thats best way to catchup to 115" Everyone in the game, they all in that expansion because its where to be, its longlasting, its the best. Can't find other returning players, well they in the expansion, gotta buy it.

The wizard and druid portals, maybe the expansion starting point is a zone out from TSS zone like Direwind Cliffs or Sunderrock Springs. So if they make 70-95 starter returning player expansion zone, that'd be where the ports goto. Then a zone for 90 to 115, then 115 to 125 and 120 to 130 end game expansion zone, nobody should be here type of zone. This also breaks away from decade of 5 level gap zones. aka VoA 90-95, next 95-100, 5 level gap zones, no bueno.

Yes the loot drops for these zones, are wearable at 115. So its impossible but if done you are rewarded.
    henry0918, Bangzoom and Evye like this.
  2. Svann2 The Magnificent

Make a tower with auto-generated levels that are created as you zone up to the next level. Every level up is higher level mobs and with better loot, and it just keeps going. Wipe and you have to start over.
  3. quakedragon Augur

Thats a good idea!
  4. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

We already have group players complaining they cannot do group content, I'd hate to see what complaints they would get from this format.

How do you sell the next expansion when you have made far better gear available?

I'd like to see expansions last longer, but not like this, more quests more zones etc, but not stupidly hard that it can't be completed in era....we don't want another GoD.
    Stymie likes this.
  5. Tucoh Augur

Go meta and require achievements from other games to level up.

Hitting max level needs Gladiator in WoW, Diamond in StarCraft, high placement in iRacing, Warlord in Street Fighter, Divine in Dota2 and Diamond in Apex Legends.

#content
    Viper1, Kaenneth and Randomized like this.
  6. Tucoh Augur

But seriously I always wish RPGs included a Kobayashi Maru https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kobayashi_Maru level where a group would face waves of increasingly difficult challenges that only ended when they wiped. Would be a good way to not only extend an expansion but also give meaning to people who have otherwise done everything else.
    demi likes this.
  7. demi Augur

and also anyone who knows that phrase or term Kobayashi maru scenario , knows full well how captain JTK beat that scenario ;)
    Sissruukk and Khat_Nip like this.
  8. Flat Toad Elder

LoL...While I always giggle at those who swoosh thru each new xpansion in a month...then spend rest o the year picking their butts...Since I quit raiding, it's fairly enjoyable just grabbing a new expansion's group gear..then heading back an expansion or two n finally kicking butt on older meanies. hehehehe
    ...but then again, I still consider EQ a game...not a profession.
  9. Skrab East Cabilis #1 Realtor

No, you treat EQ as a lifestyle not a game.
    Skuz likes this.
  10. Lubianx Augur

Not a bad idea, however, as demi implied, people will still find a way to somehow beat it (or at least progress farther than they should) by cheating.

The other problem is the rewards. Nobody will really do this unless there is a reward tied to it, even achievements.The devs would have to make a very large amount of rewards for this. Even if it is say an evolving aug, they would have to make one for wave 1 up to an infinite amount.

It is something that would look like fun though
  11. Andarriel Everquest player since 2000

Maybe make a expansion like underfoot? i did ditto in that expasnion was to tough when current for me lol.

Andarriel
  12. Mossaa Augur

And kill off more raid guilds? I do not know how many raid guilds SoD did kill. I was member of Tide on AB that folded during SoD. Think it mostly also killed Darkwind on AB but I do not remember exactly when they folded. And some minor raid/family guilds did also collapse during Underfoot. So I guess making super hard content is nice if DB want EQ to sunset.
  13. Bobokin Augur

I am a primary advocate for group and casual players here, and I have been asking for "adventure" zones since Kunark. That is, zones that are a long trek, take a lot of time, do not allow respawn, and are very difficult. Sort of like a little Fellowship of the Rings journey. The problem with that now is that raid players are so overpowered compared to group players that it would be difficult to set the difficulty level of mobs in the zone(s). Group players wouldn't stand a chance against mobs set to be a challenge to raid players, and that has been the case for quite a while.

That stated, I don't see a problem with one zone that pushes the best of the best to their limits and gets increasingly difficult as one pushes deeper into it - as long as player know this in advance and understand that even the best raid players would likely wipe before the end.

Instead of adding this with an expac, it could be added at anniversary time like GMM. It could stay open after that, but anyone at the appropriate level could participate. Deeper levels could even be added in the future.

Back in the day, I asked for something similar as an event. The undead would rise against Qeynos in increasingly difficult waves of baddies. The city would be overwhelmed if heroic players did not come to save it. Of course, this was when cities actually mattered and the highest level was something like 50. Players did things for a hoot and not just L33T L00T back then.
  14. quakedragon Augur

No, so what I'm thinking a zone or two, that they release, but its really meant to be completed in the expansion after that. However, they release it so you can keep trying to beat it early if you want. You always have something to do, may be nearly impossible, but there's still stuff to do.

So they make an expansion with
    1. catchup returners
    2. normal expansion stuff
    3. prelude to the next expansion (extreme hard stuff/impossible)

People find some way to beat it? Like forming a raid to do normal group stuff? Sure by all means form a raid to go kill group nameds.
    I mentioned the 130s will be dropping 115 gear if you are able to kill them.

One other thing this would do is, those bored 115s in 80s 90s zones, they wont be so bored and in 80s 90s zones anymore, they'll be preoccupied with trying to do stuff that's very hard.

I mean if you think about, maybe killing the nameds wont be so tough, but trash mobs at 130, they'll pretty much down anyone very quick, so getting to the nameds is half of the battle, especially if they make the zone tricky to find safe spots.

Also, instead of hoping from VoA to RoF to ToV to CoV, you have an expansion that has a starting point and it continues on from that expansion in the later expansions. Your not guessing "kunark next? luclin next? TBS next?", instead you'll be finally the next expansion came out, now I should be able to do this content and whatever the expansion after that brings and the one after that.

In this expansion idea, they can do wide level ranges too. So 105 to 115 for regular expansion content. 115 to 130 for the tough (suppose to be beaten when the expansion after that is released) zones.

Traditional EQ was not meant to be 5 level gap zones. So this will bring back the traditional feeling of EQ a bit. Ex. Walls of Slaughter that zone is 60-75, The Bloodfields 55-75, they didn't make Oow level 70-75 zones only. They continued on with tradition of wide level ranges.

If they want to make the expansion even more preoccupied with things to do, add a new race.
    But it has stuff for returners, regulars, and people who try to get every accomplishment done to keep those people satisfied with content.
  15. Accipiter Old Timer

Sounds like EoK/RoK.
  16. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

Yep, just means people will spend more time in the earlier expansions. No point in trying things more than a couple time if it is unbeatable.

I can think of better things to do with my time than bang my head against unbeatable content.
  17. strongbus Augur

Maybe not a full zone. but make missions that have 2 different levels of hardness. They done it before. one that can be or groupers and one for raiders/hard core groupers.
  18. quakedragon Augur

They have normal zones for you, but the tougher zones, it's just there to hype for the next expansion, which is going to be ongoing through those zones.
    Expansion, level 115-130 content, just 1 zone its not meant to be beaten, its not the entire expansion being unbeatable. It's there to hype for Next Expansion, and Next Expansion say they want to continue on with this, its doing great, so they make a level 130 zone not meant to be beaten, its there to let you know, that the Next Next Expansion is going to continue from that. It's hype.
    Not the entire expansion is unbeatable.

Also, note I prefer more group content (MID GAME, not group end game) than 'how can we entertain raiders', so I'd like a 70 - 95 returner zone, and a 90 - 115 a returner zone. TSS like, then you go with normal expansion, and at the end of the normal expansion is the 'zone not meant to be beaten'.

My vision is TSS 1-70, at direwinds the expansion starts, its STILL FRIENDLY for molo'ers solo'ers true returners, true people catching up. Do the 70-95, do the 90 - 115, and then the actual expansion begins, your caught up, you know the storyline, you know the currency and loot, BECAUSE you've been leveling through the expansion midgame.

Its not 'oh did you know about TBM', 'now you need to learn about RoF', 'now you need to learn about expansion 25' 'now learn about 26'.
    With this method, just learn about this LONG LASTING EXPANSION, 70-115, and then jump into the actual expansion, and next year if you get bored or something, guess what you still have an idea of whats going on when they release the next expansion or the next next expansion, its an ongoing storyline. Its LONG LASTING EXPANSION(s)

If you want to go do stuff fine, if not, fine. There's something there though that you probably didn't beat if your itching for a challenge.
  19. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

Sorry, but I don't see the point of a zone that is not supposed to be beatable, that is a waste of a zone.
  20. Mossaa Augur

My vision is that you play some other game in you mind than EQ. Why focus so much on making stuff that no one beats or stuff for new people. Non will do the stuff non beats, so its wasted time. Why waste time on making stuff for lev 1-70. You can blitz lev 1-70 real fast and if you want to play for a long time in lev 1-70 then there is tons of stuff to do.

If you do not like the new storylines of new content. then just stick to the old zones and make new alts that try to beat 115 CoV when your like lev 80 as you cannot beat it...
    Yinla likes this.