Confirmed Jaggedpine Banishment (potamide fear)

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by Trebla7th, Sep 14, 2021.

1. Trebla7th Augur

The potamide NPCs in the underwater caverns on the East side of Jaggedpine cast (proc?) a seemingly unresistable fear... this isn't a problem except that the zone geometry causes the fear to bug out and teleport you to 0, 0 in the zone.

This makes it all but impossible to kill the potamides in the cave since there is nowhere above water they can be pulled to fight. There are some air pockets, but the NPCs stay below water level so they can't be fought above ground. When fear hits in these air pockets, you will run away for a little bit (as you should when feared) until you go underwater at which point you'll be teleported across the zone.
    Bobbybick, Lemerian, Mukkul and 6 others like this.
  2. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Bewildering Dementia - cast by:

a_potamide_bewilder
    a_potamide_temptress

Has caused players to end up in the centre of the zone for a long time, this is less to do with the spell itself and more to do with EverQuest's pathing engine as while you are charmed or feared the game controls you like an npc and your movement is governed by the pathing system.

Fixing this issue would entail some large improvements to the pathing engine, so do not expect any improvements to happen in the short to medium term.

If you need to hunt there use a class that has fear immunity.
    YourJobNotYourLife likes this.
  3. Trebla7th Augur

A nice short term fix would be to change from having them cast fear to having them cast mez or root... but yes, I agree that a fundamental fix to the underlying problem is unlikely.
    Duder and Barton like this.
  4. Xyroff-cazic. Director of Sarcasm

I bug reported this like 4-5 years ago, no response. As a workaround, this fear is actually a melee proc rather than a spell they cast. If you can kill them from range, you won't get feared.
    Duder, YourJobNotYourLife and Skuz like this.
  5. Darxin New Member

Same thing is happening to me. It almost makes this unplayable. I've been teleported out of the caves 3 times now.
    Duder likes this.
  6. Xyroff-cazic. Director of Sarcasm

You'll want either a fear immune character to aggro them, or to kill them using range before they reach you. The fear is a melee proc. It sucks and should be fixed, but those are the workarounds.
    Duder and Skuz like this.
  7. TrueNorth Developer

This issue has been confirmed and is now being tracked internally.
    Lemerian likes this.