So this is a thing now....

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Senlronia, Sep 8, 2021.

1. Riou EQResource

DCUO has the most players so converting more of them to pay would make more then anything reinvesting in EQ1 or EQ2 could do

Amazon is pumping like a billion into the LoTR tv shows and that should boost that franchise franchise, as the only MMO it makes sense to basically latch onto Amazons spending on the property (if the game is any good anyway)

The EQ team should be bigger then it was for CoV (though it is probably too late to see that come out in the upcoming expansion because they only joined this year and have to be trained and such), it also probably is a bigger team then ToV was too, so there have been gains there, so of course not all revenue is being put back in, but more then before seems to be
  2. Stymie Pendragon

This is the 2nd talking head I've seen from EG7 in the short period of time since the aquasition. Neither of which have talked directly about re-investment into EQ, unless I missed something. The resource focus appears to be elsewhere. I will be happily surprised if this game gets much more than maintenance and yearly expansions for some time to come.
  3. demi Augur

everyone knows where all there actual profits come from and that is why we will keep seeing expansions for at least 3 to 5 more years if not more .. they wouldn't dare stop feeding the hand that feeds them .. per say .. EQ is their cash cow, they know and we know it .. as long as we keep giving them profits they will keep giving us expansions . Albeit not very big expansions just enough to appease us and keep the cash flow coming in .. and we will sit back and watch all those profits go bye bye , by way of funneling into other avenues ...
  4. Skrab East Cabilis #1 Realtor

Is it actually bigger or the same size? They had quite a few departures.

Agreed, but I can’t imagine they’d want to put an extra dollars into EQ. There’s just no going to be a worthwhile return or any return on investment.
  5. kizant Augur

They don't want to start talking about EQ in those investor videos because they can't reveal anything about that new project. aka EQ3. Or hopefully it's closer to EQ 1.5 and they're ignoring EQ2.
  6. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Amazon were working on an MMO to tie in with the LoTR tv series, however they dropped that so Daybreak pumping some money into that game makes sense if they can get it done in time to capitalize on the interest in the IP that the tv show generates.

LoTRO isn't a bad game either, but it could certainly benefit from a systems and graphics overhaul.

If you watch the whole presentation Ji Ham does say that they will invest in the other live games too, while he doesn't specifically mention EQ, he didn't exclude it.

So the way I read that was that while DCUO (largest playerbase currently for any Daybreak Game) will get a big update and that LoTRO will get a big update (to capitalise on the social awareness the Amazon tv show could generate) this means those are the near to mid-term investments they want to focus on right now. While the other live games will not get that higher degree of funding to update them right now - they have already said they will focus on increasing expansion content for all the live games.

None of that says they will not invest in EQ/EQ2/DDO/PS2/H1Z1 (they are looking at actually having an H1Z1 team something which it has not had for months).

And let's not forget that some re-investment in EQ was done in January hiring on 6 more team members, a mix of coders and developers that was planned prior to the EG7 deal, which more than replaces the 3 lost last year.

The upcoming "AAA" game they are working on is probably using the Marvel license they hold. not really a secret at this point.

I was & remain sceptical EQ will see any further big investment to get it up to a modern standard with Ji Ham in charge but for now he's echoing much of what Flodin said about the games & his major divergence is in how the EG7 group will be operating at a management level.
    Stymie likes this.
  7. Svann2 The Magnificent

My feeling is that lifetime subs are only a small percentage of total subs, and not significant enough to make them change anything.
    Elyssanda likes this.
  8. The real Sandaormo Augur

EQ 1.5 or EQ 3 whatever they want to call it, I will not be playing. Tired of this game as it is. No way I would start over. That said, when is Beta I can't wait to get started. I will be taking a week off with the expansion release, hopefully it takes more than a couple days to complete ( that would be a nice surprise ).
  9. kizant Augur

But what if there were no Vah Shir? Surely that would make it worth playing.
  10. The real Sandaormo Augur

If they were going to throw in big perks, I would have to consider my options.
    kizant likes this.
  11. Riou EQResource

Prob final week in October at current rate