So this is a thing now....

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Senlronia, Sep 8, 2021.

1. IblisTheMage Augur

Would like to purchase perks if they had more to offer, I don’t care that it is a “pay RL money for ingame benefits”. More of that please.

The problem is in the choice architecture. A recurring 5 USD for something that gives minuscule benefits for ever looks incredibly meh.

If DPG instead gave the option to premium something that would eventually become obsolete in a few expansions, but was one time purchases, they could make them beefier. I am thinking a permanent perk for all characters on the account. From the top of my head: 20% xp gain, but in a given expansion only, stacks with all, becomes available in May for a given expansion. 5% dps boost, specific expansion, available in June. This way, the benefit would be very clear and simple, and it could be the same benefit every year, for the expansion. Another could be 25% pet. dps and tanking, April.

These would be P2W, no dispute, but would not affect high end raiders negatively, since they would be on farm already.
    Kalvenie likes this.
  2. Velisaris_MS Augur

I would prefer they do something to make Krono tradeable only once. The person who actually buys it can trade/sell it in game, but the account that receives it can no longer trade it. So people wanting to sell them or use them as currency in game can still do it, and the people that actually want to use them for account time can still acquire them in game. That prevents them from floating around for years before being consumed, and they would only be hoarded to pay for a membership.
    Veteran_BetaTester likes this.
  3. Waring_McMarrin Augur

This would also be a complete mess as people will buy multiple krono for their mains and boxes and trying to make them trades for this is just asking for fraud to happen. It would just make things take longer if it was just buying krono with plat or trading for a single krono. But as soon as you have a trade for multiple krono for a single item the risk of fraud and one side not carrying out the full trade increases.

In the end limiting it to a single trade breaks legitimate uses of a krono and will make them much harder to use.
    Kaenneth likes this.
  4. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

People keep spouting off about Krono as if they are a problem, they are the solution to a far worse problem, but people have such bloody short term memories they forgot how awful things were before them.

Folks need to let the krono-hate go already.
    Kalvenie, Kaenneth, kizant and 3 others like this.
  5. demi Augur

wow they finally fixed the links v at the bottom of the page they are back where they belong .. sorry for the derail .. back on topic now ...
    Veteran_BetaTester and Stymie like this.
  6. Sissruukk Rogue One

You know what hasn't been discussed? Why the trader perk doesn't have a summonable parcel merchant...that is the real travesty of this whole thing.
    Winnowyl and Fenthen like this.
  7. demi Augur

maybe cause you can just run down to the NPC circle real quick and use the parcel merchant there ? the area where you buy the trader satchels
  8. Sissruukk Rogue One

Yes, but imagine all of those that would buy this perk just to have it on all of their toons...
    Winnowyl, Kalvenie and Nennius like this.
  9. demi Augur

i'll give ya that , however it would have to be available all the time not on a cool down of 20 hours .. I would purchase it if it was avail anytime ..
  10. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

They stay on the books as a liability until they are consumed. From an accounting point of view unused Krono is very, very bad.

A lot of stores have gift vouchers and discount cards that are only valid for a year for that very reason.
    Nennius and MasterMagnus like this.
  11. Waring_McMarrin Augur

I think there is a big difference between a gift card that is used to purchase something that costs the company to keep in stock versus a similar concept for something that doesn't costs the company at all such as a digital subscription.

In the gift card's case depending on where you live you can retrieve that back in cash or spend it on something that would end up costing the company money.
    Fenthen, code-zero and Stymie like this.
  12. MasterMagnus The Oracle of AllHigh

While that was true from a factual statement made a while ago.

The last time we had this discussion it was noted that California law had changed since then. And they are now allowed to 'recapture' 'realize' those profits or some such taxy word, a certain amount, after a certain amount of time, based on historical trends (of some krono never being used for more than x years).

We have no statement after that change, but they would be crazy to not adopt that new accounting practice, I would guess.

*edit*
    Bottom line, they would like Krono to be consumed as soon as possible. But people sitting on huge hoards for long periods is less of an issue now. The longer people hold it, the smaller of a percentage remains 'un-realized' profit.
  13. demi Augur

on the issue of gift cards , ive never come across any gift card that expires within a year .. maybe they charge a non use fee after one year then monthly after that but as long as you use it every few months ive never had a gift card go bad or expire ..
    I could be mistaken im not up to date on every single gift card out there . just the ones in my general area and the visa/mastercard prepaid giftcards you can buy at like walmart etc..
  14. Stymie Pendragon

Did anyone watch the EG7 update video? I'm pretty sure low quarterly earnings had something to do with the timing, but I could be wrong of course. It was an interesting watch nonetheless.

15. Accipiter Old Timer

The permutation peddler or resupply agent should just have a Parcel tab. I suppose they don't want people parceling Lore stuff from any place in the game. Still, the reuse timer is long enough to prevent too much abuse.
  16. Accipiter Old Timer

Certainly a summonable parcel merchant would have limited benefit in the bazaar. The main use case is to allow players to send a parcel from wherever they are, i.e. without leaving their camp.
    Winnowyl likes this.
  17. Samatman Augur

A bit scary that they are specifically looking to "double down" and invest in DCUO and LoTRO but not EQ. If they would just say that all the revenue from these new perks was going to be reinvested in EQ I would happily buy all of them whether I want them or not.
    Winnowyl and Stymie like this.
  18. demi Augur

I think i posted somewhere about EG7 and where EQ money would be going .. everywhere but back into EQ ..

is it time for I told ya so ;)
  19. Act of Valor The Newest Member

It isn't time, because everybody already knew this
    Fenthen and Stymie like this.
  20. Skrab East Cabilis #1 Realtor

Imagine you’re an investor, do you want the business to invest in massive IPs like DCU and LotR or EQ? Face the reality EQ is a dead end and has been on managed decline since TSS. More pointedly nearly half of the revenue comes from people paying for the 20 year old version of EQ. Why throw more money at EQ? TLPs are the double edged sword for the business.

I would love to see what Larian Studios could do with the EQ IP.
    Stymie likes this.