Running EverQuest in Linux

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by narksar, Sep 4, 2021.

1. narksar Augur

Years ago I recall it being stated that if you ran EverQuest in Linux (or it was somehow detected that you were doing so), that you would be banned. Is this still the case?
  2. Febb Augur

I've never seen the company say anywhere that playing EQ on linux is a bannable offense. Can you provide a link to a company employee saying this?
    Stymie likes this.
  3. narksar Augur

Probably not. It might've been like 10 years ago. As I recall it was in response to people using hacking programs in Linux and the "best" solution determined was to just ban people who used Linux to run EQ.
  4. Yara_AB Augur

Running EQ on Linux requires winehq or something similar.
    AFAIR this falls in the "VM" section of the rules.

5. Febb Augur

Wine isn't a virtual machine.

Straight from their website "Wine (originally an acronym for "Wine Is Not an mulator") is a compatibility layer capable of running Windows applications on several POSIX-compliant operating systems, such as Linux, macOS, & BSD. Instead of simulating internal Windows logic like a virtual machine or mulator, Wine translates Windows API calls into POSIX calls on-the-fly, eliminating the performance and memory penalties of other methods and allowing you to cleanly integrate Windows applications into your desktop."
  6. Yara_AB Augur

yeah - I didn't say it is a VM :)

I said that for daybreak I think to remember that they count it towards that category.
    But only daybreak can tell us if Wine and similar is a banable offense.
  7. Zanarnar Augur

FWIW (I'll be vague as to not get this thread deleted)

The client does look for wine DLL's and registry keys on startup, so they do know your running the game under WINE. I've done this on and off for years.. actually a decade or more and haven't gotten even so much as a warning.

I'd say your safe; however all I can say for sure is I use, it and have used it; and have never had any action taken on my account because of that. I doubt your going to get a reply from DPG on this, but it would be nice to see them clear this issue up.