So this is a thing now....

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Senlronia, Sep 8, 2021.

1. Joules_Bianchi A certain gnome

Most of the perks are pointless.

Plat? I joined a new server 2 months ago. Have (as of this week) 6 all access accounts up and just playing the game, no 3rd party anything, ever, no toons over 91 yet, just mostly 2 boxing, never sell anything in bazaar and I have over 4 million plat off vendor trash.

Paying 5 bucks of real life cash, that took real life time to earn, to save less time than I spent in real life in a game seems dumb.

5% lol

so a couple few free kills per hundred? Pass. LotD x2 or group LoTD or something decent.

The inventory slot thing as a trap- lock stuff in inventory you have to KEEP paying for is basically a bag RENTAL agreement with a catch.

The single most annoying thing about Elder Scrolls Online is if you lapse, you lose 90% of your inventory space. The second most annoying thing about ESO is daily reward junk that can not even be banked, just to clog your inventory. It's called a LAPSE TRAP, a system to punish players for lapsing a monthlly sub.
    For EQ, I'd bet they'd sell more bags if the bags weren't more expensive than an expansion.

and FWIW I remember when EQ devs swore they couldn't increase bag space. Then they realized they couldn't keep selling stuff is people didn't have room, so then sold the solution of bag space, that, you know, was "impossible" until then.

Do the people who run third party bazaar price scripts REALLY need to be able to sit on MORE items 24/7/365? This is a benefit designed for the power seller, which, IMHO there are too many of as it is. At least make them run another sub to power price everything in the bazaar eh?

I can only really see one major place where not delevling on death would be of great benefit. Server first guilds who obviously need more help can now safely zerg to attain (which, IIRC was partly why MotM was introduced and completely why we have resurrection sickness in game, to prevent death loop zerging.
    Fenthen and Kalvenie like this.
  2. Velisaris_MS Augur

I'm not the person you asked, but I'll answer your question.

I object to the very concept of this.

It's not about the specific perks. These perks are seeminly very minor and probably won't have much of an impact in the long run on the game. But, that's not the point of why they're offering these things.

They're testing the waters.

They're seeing just how many fish they can catch with this particular bait. And if they catch enough whales with it, they'll move on to much bigger, much more game-changing "perks" people can pay for. And THEN, we'll see the competitive gap really widen between those are just paying a monthly fee, and those who are willing to really PAY to win. Those who merely pay for All-Access monthly will be the new "free to play" class of players.

The snowball is just beginning its roll down the hill, and it needs to hit a tree and be stopped right here.
    Fenthen, MelediWeaver, cadres and 2 others like this.
  3. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

You can already purchase a potion which doesn't lose ingredients which is far more powerful than a 10% skill up chance. You can buy a potion to unattune an item, you can purchase perfected distilers so you don't destroy augments when you remove them.

EQplayers used to have an adittional charge if you wanted more than the basics. There is already a president for paying for extras.

I have 2 lifetime accounts, I can see why they did things this way rather than increase the subscription price and give a few extra benefits. Personally I think the perks are too weak to bother spending extra cash on, or worry about missing out on something others thing they need. But then I won't purchase a crate with 10 items in just to get the 1 item I do want. :rolleyes:
    Stymie likes this.
  4. Joules_Bianchi A certain gnome

perfected unattuners and aug removers are available for loyalty crown, which is a PERK of all access, as is the 500 DBC and is equal to all paid members for the same "ALL ACCESS" price we pay.

Instead of sub fees, they should just put those "perks" in crates and sell them for DBC like anything else. You can but DBC for cash and speed it up, or wait a bit, sit on the free with purchase of a sub, 500 DBC and buy them. Attainable by all, sellable to those who are more in a hurry.
    Fenthen likes this.
  5. Joules_Bianchi A certain gnome

This devalues "ALL ACCESS"

Competitive raid guilds will defacto require it like GINA etc.

+1
  6. Skrab East Cabilis #1 Realtor

You just keep emphasizing my points that they design the game with monetizing its pain points.
    Kalvenie likes this.
  7. Fanra https://everquest.fanra.info

Velisaris_MS and demi like this.
  8. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

Loyalty tokens are given to ALL accounts. It is not a perk for just All Access. The difference between All Access/Silver and F2P being how many you get each week.

The unattuners are also available the the Overseer merchant at the top of the library. Again all accounts can play overseer

Any accounts can purchase them in the marketplace too.

I will agree about the 500 dbc being only given to All Access.
  9. demi Augur

this is a test to see how well these "perks" do .. if they do well , we will see more P2W "perks" down the line as fanra's and many others have stated..

I was thinking of getting the xp bonus one and the extra bag slot till Joules_Bianchi made a good point about them being a lapse-lock .. if your sub lapses you loose access to it .. which is no beuno .. so I will not be getting them .. the measly 5% xp isnt that big of deal.. I always have a lesson or an enchanter if i want a bonus modifier or pot ..
    Fenthen likes this.
  10. Joules_Bianchi A certain gnome

on any F2P account, go see what you can and cannot buy off the loyalty vendor- No bags of PP or other currencies no Unattuners, etc. Only image items and placeables. no anchors either iirc.

and

All access are rewarded loyalty velocity. F2P who WERE subbed KEEP their loyalty crown, but afaik do not acccrue it as it's directly FOR continuous sub time.

https://everquest.allakhazam.com/wiki/EQ:Loyalty
    Kalvenie likes this.
  11. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

I fact checked before posting. You are right on the bag of currency purchasing, no one is talking about that.

All of my F2P who were never near a subscription can purchase the unattuners from Loyalty merchants and from Overseers.

Sorry but you must have been away from the game when it was changed. Sub time no longer matters. Allah is out of date.

This is how it works now once the account is a year old, prior to that you receive small amounts each week until you hit your account anniversary of one year and then you earn:
    • Accounts with Gold membership: Velocity caps at 120 and Crowns cap at 5760.
    • Accounts with Silver membership: Velocity caps at 60 and Crowns cap at 2880. Please note that for Silver accounts which have downgraded from Gold Membership, Velocity will be reduced to meet the Silver-level cap. Any Crowns which exceed the Silver-level cap will not be lost, although you may not gain more Crowns until you have dropped below the Crown cap for Silver membership.
    • Accounts with Free membership: Velocity caps at 30 and Crowns cap at 1440.
    In fact even this has been changed and Silver now earn the same amount as All Access.
    It will only take you about 5 minutes to verify this by creating a free account and looking for your self.

Edit: think veteran rewards, everyone gets those now too. Oh, and they took off the loyalty velocity meter some years ago
    demi and Yinla like this.
  12. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

These are all minor though, I didn't see anyone getting upset over heretage crates or overprices collectors packs. Ease of travel is also pay to win. Getting where you want to be faster so you can start killing sooner. Paying for 40 slot bags and exp potions everytime there is a new TLP server a different pack is avaiable which is also available on live servers.

It is a bit late to get upset over these minor perks, when the bigger stuff you didn't bat an eye at because they are actually a lot of use.
    Stymie likes this.
  13. Waring_McMarrin Augur

Are the perks pointless or pay to win? I am confused here. Not sure how you can call something pointless and pay to win at the same time.
    Winnowyl, Stymie, Yinla and 2 others like this.
  14. kizant Augur

I guess I mean all the non-bad players.
    Kalvenie and Axel like this.
  15. Joules_Bianchi A certain gnome

Sadly, they are both.

Offering a 5% xp gain is weak, but, they don't want to impact XP pot sales with long term xp boost.

Allowing power traders to squat on more items with 3rd party software changing prices is wweaksauce. At the very least, make them pay 1 more sub.

This is kinda my point ;)

Not only is it pay to win bull, but it's BAD pay to win bull.

To outprice virtually evey other similar game in the market and driving away both potential AND crurrent subs over,. franky, poop emoji worthy "perks" seems like a bad path.

To be clear:

Against this pay to win power creep [X]

Against devlopers wasting time on cheesy, low rent "perks" which are both pay to win mechanics AND weaksauce: [X]

For devlopers and this game's owners doing it right [X]

(Like adding AoCs for all access ADDS value to All Access)

Uptier charging for it would be like cable TV bundling to devalue the all access level of, "all access" to "some access"

You're not confused so much as disingenuous, and also fighting for this really hard.

Pay to win is BS

BAD P2W isn't any better.
    Fenthen, Kalvenie and MasterMagnus like this.
  16. Joules_Bianchi A certain gnome

Ad Hominem, the first refuge of the factless.
  17. Waring_McMarrin Augur

So pointless abilities that don't really add anything is letting you win by paying for them? If the gains from them are weak you won't be winning by buying them.

Sure you can have objections to them but you can't call them pointless and power boosts (pay to win) at the same time.
    Stymie likes this.
  18. demi Augur

anchors can be purchased through loyalty as F2P ..
    Fenthen and CatsPaws like this.
  19. kizant Augur

No, The fact is that EQ is easy and anyone trying to "win" is already doing so with no problems. If you're taking your time to level over a period of months then ok cool. You're just playing casual and not even trying hard in the first place. So, why do you care?
    Kalvenie and Stymie like this.
  20. Joules_Bianchi A certain gnome

5% is a gain, it's paid for, definition met.

Pay to win power creep, round one, keep it on the down low.

Just because it's weak, poorly thought out P2W,

doesn't mean it isn't

pay

to

win

and you know it!

Keep pretending you're this dumb. it looks good on your guild tag. lolz.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Camel's_nose

Remember how Gandalf intoduced the dwarves to Bilbo?
    Kalvenie and MasterMagnus like this.