So this is a thing now....

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Senlronia, Sep 8, 2021.

1. Benito EQ player since 2001.

If they want additional revenue, they should create a premium subscription tier with 2-3 bonus cosmetic loot crates (LoN or Heritage crates) each month to claim.
  2. Froglok Augur

Each month they do exactly this, as a discounted purchase option for your monthly 500 DBC award, albeit the Crates are only offered if Crates are currently in the Marketplace.
    Yinla likes this.
  3. Benito EQ player since 2001.

Yeah, I was thinking of adding 2-3 additional crates to the monthly claim.

They could charge something like $21.99/month (no bulk discount) in a more premium subscription tier.
  4. Winnowyl Suffering is optional.

The chance bonus they're talking about is the 10% change bonus to gain skill points in crafting skills.

The experience line very clearly states that it multiplies with other benefits you earn.

Now, that leaves me wondering exactly where in the formula that 5% goes, but it sounds like we get it +lesson/potion/aura +bonus xp. That it just goes in at the front of the calculation, as if it's just our base xp, before the lesson/potion/aura is factored, and before the gamewide bonus xp is factored.
    demi likes this.
  5. error Augur

Really don't like them setting a precedent for tiered subscription levels, who knows where that'll lead in the future. Going forward anytime they decide on a new feature they'll have to make a decision between it being "base" or "perk" which is a pretty bad mentality. Would basic subscribers ever even see expanded inventory space again once they realize they can charge for it?
    Windance, Joules_Bianchi and cadres like this.
  6. Velisaris_MS Augur

I'm just wondering if this horrific decision was in the works BEFORE the new owners came in, or is this a new mandate from the money-grubbing overlords as they try to squeeze every last dime out of EQ?
  7. Verily Tjark Augur

I wonder if the question in the staff meeting was "How do we get more money out of people who bought a lifetime sub?"
  8. Skrab East Cabilis #1 Realtor

They develop a new monetization feature every year, usually tied to the expansions (Dragon’s Hoard, Overseer, Crystallized Luck, Mount Key Ring, Illusion Key Ring, Familiar Key Ring, Hero’s Forge Key Ring, etc). This is obviously one of their corporate KPIs.

It would be too long of a read, but the way private equity firms work is they structure all the financial burden on the purchase onto the entity that they bought. So, in this case DPG has had a massive amount of debt to pay off between all the studios which drives increasing monetization. However, if DPG guys bankrupt the investment firms would none of that effect.
    Velisaris_MS likes this.
  9. Hekaton Augur

i had a well thought up response but i guess i can paraphrase it down to 3 words

this is trash

please stop appreciating us in this form.
    Vumad, Truesh0t, Velisaris_MS and 4 others like this.
  10. Warpeace Augur

Where are the Raid loot crates? Completely missed on this appreciation:p
  11. cadres Augur

The big difference was the loyal players got a reward for just that - loyalty
    'perks' we have to pay extra for
    Seems like a great way to disenchant those loyal players
    Fenthen, Truesh0t and Windance like this.
  12. error Augur

And there's so many non-intrusive microtransaction services they could offer if they're that desperate to increase their revenue. I constantly hear people wishing they'd bring account-to-account character transfers back.
    Mesil, cadres, Stymie and 2 others like this.
  13. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

Had a bit more time to think about this now
    Pretty much these are of no use to me with the exception of the exp gain which may be of some small use. TS skill ups is a maybe too but only if it works on 300+, getting to 300 is the easy part.
    Kalvenie likes this.
  14. Warpeace Augur

It will do nothing for 300+ because that requires you to simply lean recipes.
    Fenthen likes this.
  15. Moege Augur

The next evolution is dropping raid currency to a level where 10% actually matters. Or dropping xp by 10% which this nonsense now fixes.
  16. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

I can dream that it will help But yeah it doesn't look like it will help where it is really needed.
  17. Tucoh Augur

They should turn Agents of Change into Agents of Charge and charge $1 per instance.
  18. Xanathol Augur

You guys do realize that to sell 'pay to win' your 'perks' have to actually be desirable, right?
    IblisTheMage, Kalvenie and Dre. like this.
  19. Joules_Bianchi A certain gnome

I'd pay $4.99 /mo to have my Primary Anchor actually put me in my house and not in Tranquility, or Rivervale, or Steamfont because the instance lag times out.
    Truesh0t likes this.
  20. Joules_Bianchi A certain gnome

There are a TON of Legends of Norrath assets already in game that they gatekeep intead of selling full time. I would have already bought Firescale Wrulon Saddles for all our accounts, but haven't seen it available for literal years.