Jeff Butler interview on MassivelyOP

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Svann2, Aug 28, 2021.

1. Svann2 The Magnificent

2. MasterMagnus The Oracle of AllHigh

Priceless stuff
    • “Not a day goes by that I don’t regret seeing how successful that game could’ve been.”
    • “We had some amazing things in progress. The tech was untest and untried. It was something completely unique. A completely destructable, editable, voxel-based world in a massively multiplayer game.”
    • EverQuest Next would’ve been a spectacular game.”
    • Even today, no one has ever attempted to do something like it.
    Yeah, would seem he dropped right out of his awareness of the game industry before even being laid off.

• “This iteration of EverQuest had only been worked on for a fairly short time. The previous iterations were almost impossible to count. There were seven subsets of what was going to be the ‘next’ EverQuest. They’d work on it for a little while, scrap it, and build it up again.”
    Yep, knew it all along. Tried seven times! Usually quoted 5 or more. Think of the money wasted.
  3. MasterMagnus The Oracle of AllHigh

It makes me wonder if they used a real person for research, or just generalized for this character...

[IMG]
  4. Nennius Curmudgeon

I have a next door neighbor. 30+, still lives at home, no job, no girlfriend, plays lots of games, and no tan at all. I think we may have a match.
  5. MasterMagnus The Oracle of AllHigh

Jeff Butler is older than that and I doubt he lives next to you.

He owned a comic book store and was pretty pompous like Comic Book Guy, thus the comparison.

You're probably spot-on for the rest, though I can't say for certain.
  6. Nennius Curmudgeon

That's too bad. I was sort of hoping this guy might actually have a life.
    MasterMagnus likes this.
  7. Febb Augur

MO didn't interview him, they took all those quotes from aLovingRobot's youtube channel when he interviewed Jeff.
    minimind, MasterMagnus and Svann2 like this.
  8. MasterMagnus The Oracle of AllHigh

Yep, that's why it says:
    There's also a link to the 3 hour video, if you could stand a 3 hour Jeff Butler interview.
  9. snickerhaha New Member

Interesting