Wizard Class Revamp Suggestions

Discussion in 'Casters' started by Bleve, Jul 9, 2021.

1. Bleve Lorekeeper

I'm not sure how difficult it would be to implement any of this, this is just my wish list for the wizard class.

1. There needs to be some way of combining all our caster proc augs into a single big aug. (melee type 18/19s will be covered next). The problems that I can see with this is that you would need to make it so that you couldn’t use both the new big aug at the same time as the old augs, and the new aug should gain power for each aug you currently have. So a person that just has 2 proc augs gets one aug equal in power to those two, but a person with 9 different proc augs gets a much bigger aug. Maybe make all old proc augs none/none, and add in the one new aug as an evolving item with a quest to power up the aug using all the current augs? The quest would have to be limited to what we can currently equip: ie 2x type 4/8 weapon augs, 4x Type 18/19, Gem of Freezing, and Prayer Shawl of the Duke. I envision having to "sacrifice" the existing aug to the quest to upgrade the new "all-in-one" aug. There would also need to be a way each expansion to upgrade the one aug. This would mostly be about getting rid of so many procs and the associated lag. I’m not sure what would be done about other spell procs like Restless Focus, but at least it gets rid of the majority of it.

1. Add something like a stance for wizards that we gain a boost to spell damage as long as we’re not meleeing. I feel more and more like I’m becoming a melee class that happens to cast spells. You would want the spell boost to either be equal to or barely more than the dps we can do from meleeing. The idea would be to encourage wizards to get rid of all the “Assaulting Magic” type augs and stuff like Grelleth’s Royal Seal. This isn’t about class balance but helps further reduce the number of procs, and from a roleplay aspect I just get frustrated by the fact that we’re no longer a pure caster class.

1. We need a Type-5 aug for caster dps. Right now I use almost all Heroic Dexterity augs. If there was a Type-5 that boosted spell damage, I would use that instead. The easiest solution would be to look at the dps boost a type 5 hDex gives melee classes, and just add an amount of spell damage to the next expansions hInt Type-5s to add dps equal to that.

1. Have the flat spell damage from Treaded Boon of Potential be equal to or greater than the dps from the Sympathetic Force of Corruption X proc on the Runed Belt of Boromas. Right now I have it set up that I can quickly swap between the Runed Belt of Boromas when burning to the Jchan's Threaded Belt of Command when not burning. I'd love to just do away with my Runed Belt. I would keep the group gear belt the same flat 5k, and make raid belt have the higher amount since the Runed Belt of Boromas is a raid item (even if it is an old raid item). This is another suggestion meant not so much as a class balance, but to get rid of another proc.

1. Allow Dissident Fire to be Twincast. I remember reading that the Dicotomic spells were supposed to be “class defining”, yet because Ethereal Brand can be Twincast and Dissident Fire can’t, any time Twincast is running Brand will be better dps because you get 2 sets of procs verses the one set of procs on Dissident. We pay over twice as much in mana cost to get less damage? Dissident already has a one minute recast, so I don’t see how this would dramatically over-power us.

What of my list do you agree with, what can be improved upon, and what things are wrong with the class and need to be fixed that I didn't have listed?
    Astteroth, Banwiz, Ahbed and 3 others like this.
  2. Chanteren Elder

i completely agree. The procs and augs arte confusing as is.

Also make Manaburn mean real damage. right now it is negligible on a raid boss. Also make Frostbound Coalition do more damage, as it is it does maybe 2% damage on raid bosses.

Wizards have not topped the parse in like forever, please give us back some BOOM!
    Syndr likes this.
  3. Szilent Augur

raid bosses 6B hp. Coalition 4M. Your arithmetic on that 2% is off by over an order of magnitude. There's no "maybe", it deals 0.07%
    Syndr likes this.
  4. Dre. Altoholic

Random huge crits. Like one-shot a group mob huge.
    Syndr likes this.
  5. Szilent Augur

that's what Arcane Fusion is supposed to be. it ... has a history.
    Syndr and Dre. like this.
  6. kizant Augur

1. The proc issue is a complicated one because Wizards benefit much more than other classes from having multiple procs. Simply combining them all into one wouldn't be very fair to us without additional Wizard specific changes. There are posts in the vet lounge thread on this topic.

2. I don't see why they should discourage meleeing. It's nice that it's an option for people who want to put in a little more effort.

3. Having to maximize hdex as a melee player is extremely annoying and something I really don't think we should ask for and it's probably something they'd rather avoid repeating. Ideally, they could find a way to have each heroic stat be useful to everyone in some regard and encourage more of a mix of stats. Maybe the strength of the benefit from heroic stats should decrease the further you are from having balanced stats too. In any case, I'd be weary of upgrading all casters at this point given that some others are extremely over powered.

4. The current belt is good for everyone but Wizards. I kinda like that we get to use the TBM belt and just wish they'd make corruption a little less resistable. It would be hard to imagine them making the current belt so strong that it would replace it entirely. Besides the current belt benefits DoT classes more than other casters so relying on it doesn't help us catch up very much.

5. Twincasting Dissident would be nice but it's a pretty small upgrade and if they made that change they'd probably have to change the necro version and then mages will feel left out until they get a Dissident that is also a strong nuke. In the end it'll likely end up worse for us. They just need to up the base damage a bit to make it useful imo.
    -----Cinexa----- and Szilent like this.
  7. Cragzop Cranky Wizard

I'm still have no idea why wizards have been focusing on anything but getting increased direct damage, preferably by bumps in base spell damage. The rest is just window dressing.
    Waitwhat and -----Cinexa----- like this.
  8. ganane New Member

Having played wizzy for nearly 20 years a few things annoy me.

1. Global cool down, waiting for my spell bar to not be greyed out so I can cast something! I don't mind having spell gems greyed out so we can't cast the same spell over and over but all of them [IMG]
    2. Force of Flame & Ice recast time should be lowered to be the same as Force of Will! I have a couple clickies to fill in when all 3 are on cool down. [IMG]
    3. Forces again, now these cost us mana they should be effected by our focuses. I hate getting you are too far away messages when my nukes land perfectly and the forces don't!
    3. Cast time of TLs why do they still have such a long cast time?
    4. TL to bind after the changes to not land while in combat, why does it still not work for me? Why have I got to cast a seperate spell to go to by own bind?
    5. They want us to melee for procs but they don't give us cleave on legs, wasn't that long ago they added it to priests, why not int casters?
    6. Why have we got endurance regen AAs when we don't use endurance for anything! Plans to let us use endurance when low on mana????
    7. Line of Sight - If i can see all of it but its left foot, I can see it!

We are proberbly the only guild which runs with 7 wizzys, we are all stubborn and don't want to give up on the class, but pretty much at this stage of the expansion all of us are playing alts in the group game, mainly melee classes. So this is possibly the main reason the OP doesn't see wizzys around.
    -----Cinexa----- and Yinla like this.
  9. ganane New Member

best discription i have sean yet
  10. kizant Augur

It's like that for everyone and I don't see them changing it anytime soon. Especially considering they have enough problems with lag.

The force nukes don't really do much DPS. While I think they could be improved I'm not sure they should be in the top 30 things that we're worried about. And if you're getting messages about being too far away you can do this thing where you move closer.

It would be nice if they were a bit quicker.

TL spells aren't all that useful on live so 1/2 the player base probably doesn't care. It would be a nice improvement if we could cast them on ourselves though. But still I'm not sure how high that should go on the list either. We have a workaround.

They've never said that they want us to melee. That's just players learning to optimize their gameplay. While it does increase our DPS some it's not a large increase and 99.9% of it comes from procs. Cleave would do almost nothing for us. I don't know why we would want it. Take a look at how many melee hits you actually get in while casting. It really isn't a lot. We're just lucky that it has no impact on proc rate.

Because it makes sense to be on the general tab? Nobody is forcing to get it. The useless spells on our Focus tab that should be more annoying to you.

You might want to checkout this thread. Some more important topics are covered.
    https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq/index.php?threads/wizard-love.273371/
    -----Cinexa----- and Sancus like this.
  11. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

Right now, I don't really care what they do as long as they do something to improve our DPS. Hate being out of the top 10 for short burn DPS, loosing out to Necros, rogues and zerkers mainly.

What happened to wizzys shining on burst DPS and Necros shining on Sustained?
    menown, kizant and -----Cinexa----- like this.
  12. Syndr New Member

about the Melee'n if i wanted to play a melee dps class i would play the zerker ...i wanted a caster class... ive about had it waiting for them to revamp a class that they dont seem to care about.
  13. kizant Augur

You get like a 1% DPS increase for putting in a little more work. There's no combat abilities to active, you just hit auto attack. It's nothing like zerkers. And if you want changes you need to post more. There's not enough wizards complaining.
    MasterMagnus likes this.
  14. MasterMagnus The Oracle of AllHigh

With the staffing the way it is (I know they have new ones :rolleyes:).

The more you vet concerns with the community, boil it down to the consensus of what really matters, and present it in an easy-to-digest format (for the devs).

The more likely they are to adopt it whole cloth and spend their work implementing it rather than questioning it.
    Elyssanda likes this.
  15. kizant Augur

Yeah it's just been hard getting consensus. I'd like to focus on just our burn DPS but a lot of people are worried about sustained in groups and want changes to ports or think we need more utility or something.

I did sens the devs some burn parses and estimates for what would happen if all they did were to increase base damage by 50% or 100%. Hopefully that helps a little bit.
    MasterMagnus likes this.
  16. Biltene Kingslayer

There's a 22 page Wizard Love thread that stayed in Vet's Lounge, and wasn't moved to this forum to reduce its visibility, even though it probably qualifies to be here. The thread has a comment from a Dev stating they are aware of this and are hoping to work in some fixes Soontm.

You have been quite instrumental in bringing visibility and knowledge to our plight, and I know for a fact that in the past Beimeith has sent PMs to devs regarding things to improve us. With all of this, after awhile it just feels like spitting into the wind.

For the record I 100% agree that all wizard improvements need to come in the realm of DPS and DPS only, I'll take burst or sustained, don't really care which, or both, but the utility suggestions clutter the real true need to fix our class.

I look forward to seeing if the new expansion brings anything to be hopeful for, but I've learned not to get my hopes up too much.
    Cicelee, CrazyLarth, Sancus and 3 others like this.
  17. Cicelee Augur

Back in the day, the "Vision" was for a wizard to top a 1 minute event, a necro to top a 10 minute event, and a magician to top a 5 minute event.

If only there was a way to incorporate that thought into today's game and finesse/assuage those numbers to make it relevant.

And I am only 85% sure I am using assuage in the correct context. I just want to impress Sancus is all. Fishing for that like...
    MasterMagnus likes this.
  18. Eaedyilye More stonehive bixies.

assuage

• Verb
      1. cause to be more favorably inclined; gain the good will of
      2. satisfy (thirst)
      3. provide physical relief, as from pain
  19. Szilent Augur

quite surely meant "massage", it's fine.
    MasterMagnus and Sancus like this.
  20. Banwiz New Member

Idk what to post hear. so short and sweet. Can Wizards get some DPS love please I think it is over do....... Squeaky wheel get's the grease right??? SQUEAK SQUEAK...