Mischief was supposed to be chaotic!

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Chainsaw_Massacre, Aug 26, 2021.

1. Gnothappening Augur

Another example, again in sebilis like last time, are named that normally have a chance of one weapon now spawning with two. I had a Chef spawn with 2 weapons and was hasted by the other frogs, his DPS was harsh.
  2. Duder Augur

This is wrong. Look to the TBL era dev posts where they comment that mobs spawn with their loot.
    Skuz likes this.
  3. yepmetoo Abazzagorath

Loot is rolled at spawn. Period. Do you even play this game or just troll the forums with made up garbage?
    Skuz, Gnothappening and Duder like this.
  4. Captain Video Augur

I don't recall any such posts, and a cursory search found nothing. I would ask that you link to it.

If loot was rolled at spawn, then your favorite cheat program would be able to see it, and an invisible rogue with pickpocket skill would be the most OP class in the game, because it could just run around and grab everything. In the very early days of "Server 1.0" there may have been loot rolled at spawn, but from my memory that was quickly changed due to exploits. Mob inventory, including equipped weapon(s), is determined at spawn, because combat depends on it, and character display often (but not always) reflects it. Other mob-equipped items, e.g. a light source, are determined at spawn. Equipped items may or may not be candidates to drop as loot.

I say again: Inventory <> Loot.
  5. OldTimeEQ1 Augur

Skuz likes this.
  6. Captain Video Augur

A tongue-in-cheek post on his part if I've ever seen one. All he says is that 99.9% of NPCs have something on them that can potentially be looted. He didn't say that everything a NPC has gets dropped. He also says there are cases where items not on the NPC are added at death, so there has to be a loot roll at death. My stated counter-example is how the game handles Defiant gear, which can drop from literally every mob, but can't be found on any mob's living person.
  7. OldTimeEQ1 Augur

Read also posts by Ellyra.

Guess we will continue to believe what we want to believe though, I was just trying to help ( took me 2 seconds to google to find the post).

Exceptions prove the rule also in general :)

Anyway, will let you folks get back to the debate!
  8. yepmetoo Abazzagorath

No point talking to a wall. I mean, anyone that actually PLAYS this game has seen mobs holding weapons and shields when they spawn with them, and has seen mobs with non-equippable graphics that while not showing them, will "slash" or "crush" or whatever when they have them, or how frenzy with haste was an a**beater compared to frenzy without haste item, etc.

So he obviously doesn't play and this is just baby trolling practice.

I mean, the guy thinks rogues can pickpocket items tagged "magic", you know, 95% of the game post classic....
  9. Captain Video Augur

I never said anything of the sort. And if you think 95% of all items post-Classic are tagged as magic, you're the one who sounds like you're not playing the game, but of course you do, so the arguments are clearly being made ridiculous on purpose. Not taking the bait today, sorry.
  10. Waring_McMarrin Augur

Why would they go to all the trouble of putting raid/mission loot in chests if it was spawned on mob death?
  11. MasterMagnus The Oracle of AllHigh

I don't think items in chests have anything to do with items on mobs and when they spawn (in the context of game mechanics). The chest is a separate thing from the mob, and has it's own criteria for what it will contain and when it will be interactable.

How and when they populate a chest isn't a point of reasoning for how and when they populate a mob.
  12. Triconix Augur

I thought the fact that loot is rolled at spawn was common knowledge. I guess some are stuck in a time warp.

Some things I read or hear around this game still. Amazing.

Swing misses don't generate aggro. FT is different than mana regen. Loot is rolled at death. Faster weapons make you proc more. Sheesh
    Skuz likes this.
  13. Waring_McMarrin Augur

And if my memory serves me right there used to be people who would zone into an instance, check what the raid bosses would drop and get a new instance if it wasn't what they wanted. Spawning the chests prevents anyone from knowing the loot until after the lockout is achieved.
    MasterMagnus likes this.
  14. Gnothappening Augur

Flowing thought is different. It is a product of a more awesome age of EQ when things had unique names instead of generic Mana Regen. Functionally, they do the same and FT was converted to mana regen at some point. I personally still say FT, but part of that is when someone says MR I think magic resist.
  15. Gnothappening Augur

I do recall them at one point saying something about changing mobs in later expansions to spawn gear on death, but I don't know if they ever implemented it. The reason was because of exactly what you are saying, people with cheats would be able to see what a mob was geared with and decide if they were going to kill it. They might have found a different workaround though, like hiding the mob's loot from being sent or something. I know you can still visually verify it, but I don't think you can just cheat the data anymore.
  16. Waring_McMarrin Augur

My understanding is this is why loot is in a chest so they can control when it is generated and what is generated with greater control.
    MasterMagnus likes this.
  17. MasterMagnus The Oracle of AllHigh

Pretty sure the chest is spawned by meeting criteria of an event. If there is only one mob for the event when you kill the mob it doesn't spawn the chest, it updates a stored value.

When the 'tic' happens for checking the event criteria, it sees a value that equals COMPLETE, and then spawns the chest.

The chest can have it's own static list of things, and/or dynamic/randomized items too.

This is what I meant earlier by game mechanics. And it allows them to be more flexible with how events occur, and what they drop. As well as hiding loot from prying eyes as you mention.

And you are right in a design sense, the chest and mobs guarding it are closely linked in a design sense.
  18. Accipiter Old Timer

At one point they did it this way because ShowEQ could tell what loot was on the mob. Guilds using it would decide whether to kill the mob based on what they knew the loot was going to be. It seems to me this mechanic went away later but I'm not sure. It was definitely that way for a while.
  19. Accipiter Old Timer

Once upon a time there was talk of a separate pick pocket loot bucket. Rogues could pick pocket without affecting the group's loot. Did they actually do that or did I dream it?
  20. Accipiter Old Timer

If by "everything" you mean a few platinum and some gems, yes. Rogues can't pickpocket equipment.

Edit: And that assumes they aren't caught and one-rounded.