What about a raid that...

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Evye, Aug 24, 2021.

1. Biltene Kingslayer

The people from "big guilds" are more familiar with raiding than anyone else in the game. I've been raiding since OoW, and "hardcore" raiding since SoF, with a hiatus here and there. And I'm far from even close to the most experienced raiders around. So we know what would work, and what wouldn't. We know how the mechanics work, why they're involved in the event, and how (usually) best to defeat them. We are for the most part, experts of a sort, some obviously more than others (I do not claim to be one, although I know others that fit the bill). So we're not trying to keep you down, or afraid of you rocking the boat it's just we know what makes sense within the context of the game and raiding specifically.

Smaller, less experienced guilds and guild members do not have the breadth of experience to understand what those of us who have been around the block understand about the game. It'd be like if you went to Tom Brady and told him: "Sure you can throw a football, but wouldn't it be even better if you kicked it to your teammates? It'd be totally innovative!" If you're going to make the suggestion to change how things are done, you've got to prove to the establishment that it's going to work great or be better, and that just hasn't happened yet.
    Ssdar likes this.
  2. Biltene Kingslayer

I was a raid leader at the time of Pillars (VoA had some really interesting raids that I'd love to see those types of mechanics again) That raid is still one of my all time favorite events....when you had the class makeup to make it work. When you didn't, it was brutal. Still, very fun. Also loved Sep3 and Triunity.
    Ssdar and Skuz like this.
  3. Waring_McMarrin Augur

Personally I find the idea of having to make groups by characters name or group by certain classes to be horrible and it doesn't sound like an actual raid mechanic to me. I want mechanics around the actual raid itself not on how to set up for it.
    Ssdar, Skuz and Yinla like this.
  4. Evye Augur

No reason to measure sticks here. Noones time on a game makes anyones ideas better than anyone elses. Someone who never played Eq could have an amazing idea for it.

I would think we would be like minded individuals who could have fun playing around with "meta" style ideas. There is no reason to worry its going to make it into the game.

Interesting thought. If your guild can clear COV in 1 night but mine takes 3 days who gets more experince doing it?

Usain Bolt has only spent 325 seconds On the olympic track and he is known by some as the fasted man. Does he have more experince or less than say the slowest olympian on the track?

After some research i see a bit of the confusion. "most effective battle tactics" is what meta stands for in some MMo's (never heard that in EQ has anyone used it here?) (thanks urban dictionary defintion 2) I'm refering to meta as in urban dictonary defintion 1.

My idea spawns from Super Mario RPG which did meta things. A boss named Bowyer
    would take away a button of yours. I found that super cool. What would you do if a raid boss randomly disabled buttons on your mouse or keyboard?
  5. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

Many raids be come tedious rather than fun after they have been run a few times. I'd like to see more than 1 way to complete them just to relieve the bordom.

I'm usually grouped with the same guildies but we usually have a blast and I'd rather stick with them than keep changing to players who aren't as much fun. :) I'd rather stay with the group make up as they are now. To not be grouped with a chanter and druid just because their names are at the start of the alphabet and mine is at the end is not fun. When players don't get the ADPS support they need they stop putting in the effort or stop raiding.

The raid mechanics this time round weren't bad, I think the only raid I really dislike this time is Sontalak, if I get the chance to bench on that I do. It may only take 5 minutes but I hate it with a passion.
    Ssdar and Sancus like this.
  6. Waring_McMarrin Augur

I am not sure I understand what you are complaining about, are you suggesting that others have no right to dislike your suggestions?

Instead of complaining that people don't like your ideas why not brainstorm some more and come up with some different ones? It isn't like any idea that is suggested is going to make it into the upcoming expansion this late in the game.
    Celephane likes this.
  7. Warpeace Augur

I though this thread was to drive sales of Potion of Amnesia.
    Fenthen likes this.
  8. MasterMagnus The Oracle of AllHigh

It's my belief you always learn better from your mistakes. You succeed on your first try and you have no feedback on what you may have not used as well as you could to improve, or even what you over-used and could do without. But I suppose in the EQ context there's parsing for that.

I really just wanted to say. You're doing much better than the 'thread-playing-out-the-way-it-always-does' might appear. Keep it up.
    Evye likes this.
  9. Elyssanda Bardbrain

sometimes there are mechanics or, ideas in a raid that just, for one reason or another, don't work out, BUT THEY ARE THERE

A raid where depending on what class dies, certain mobs spawn? They did that.. Mearatas actually, depending on who dies is what type of "death" mephit spawns. We tested that in beta for a long time, with a minimal group of people after most of the raid ended.. like 2 groups stayed and we had different people run in and sacrifice themselves to see what happened and what would spawn (I died a LOT that day). now did that work out for the real raid? nope, too many people died together so all "death" mephits were spawning, and there was no way to control that aspect of the raid, luckily it was beatable without needing to fulfill an aspect of that mechanic.

Death mephits being the ones that spawn when someone died vs the ones that were a part of the raid mechanic on a timer/trigger.
  10. Triconix Augur

I think every raid should be like the Performer.
    Elyssanda likes this.
  11. Windance Augur

Would be nice to have more raids where the answer isn't just more DPS to burn everything down fast enough to beat whatever DPS check they put in.
  12. Fooba Augur

...doesn’t lag.
    Ssdar and Warpeace like this.
  13. Evye Augur

There is a question at the end of that post that is a new idea man. There was even a question in the middle.
    I was really replying to Biltene who was trying to measure sticks saying big raiders are the experts and their ideas matter more than anyone else

14. Warpeace Augur

The OP idea never started out good or developed. Raid mechanics are limited because of the age of the game engine EQ is on and its sad they have yet to update or reimage the game for more modern purposes.
  15. Evye Augur

Thanks for the fair reply Yinla.
    I respect your opinion.
    I guess what I'm really getting at is there are 1000 more ways they could manipulate raids to make them different, that isn't something as horrible as "kowncar" in COV. I've almost logged out bc that raid, is so not fun.

Our guild has spent about and hour on Sontalak. It is also a terrible raid if you dont have 5 mins burn fix. Part of me wishes they would patch that mechanic skip. So that they could actually fix how long the raid could be.

Here is a question:
    How long should a raid be?

16. Evye Augur

This is true it was just an idea I thought would be fun to develop here with like minded folks.

There are great ideas in the thread though.

I agree with you about the engine limitation's that's why I feel like looking at other ways to make raids challenging or fun would benefit EQ in the future.

17. Evye Augur

For the record this isn't a IV Chan or Reddit yall can say Evye not OP =)
  18. Evye Augur

Good stuff. I salute your deaths for tuning.
    Mearatas is regarded badly by some. It was a nice unique raid. Personally our guild beat it but not during TOV. There were a lot of tough mechanics going on there.

Would it upset people as much if one of the rules of the raid is EVERYONES dps is halved.
    Would it upset people more if they just doubled the mob hp?
    How is going with non optimal group sets ups really much different than that at the end of the day?

What would have been a fun way to alternately win Meartas? Randomly per event make some of that statues walking toward the middle charmable?
    Maybe you can open a hole in the center and train mobs over it. or the boss even. I almost put DPS hole but maybe there is an NPC ally trying to open the hole and hes not strong enough to do so and you need to buff him during battle to make him strong enough to open it. Almost everyone has a buff even a clicky one. The whole time the boss is trying to dispel him. That mechanic could be a whole raid too

The only issue I have with dying is the need for buffs to be useful, which kind of comes back to dps.

19. Svann2 The Magnificent

You must have a bard in every group or be DT'd.
    :p
    Fenthen and Elyssanda like this.
  20. The real Sandaormo Augur

Event where whole raid has to shrink down or use a spell illusion to form into rats and stealthily make it's way through a castle with guards, ( move too fast or too slow, Spread out too much, make too much noise and your spotted ) moving as 1 unit up to the Nameds room and kill him before the guards check on him or have waves of guards needed to be killed as they come to protect. Take too long and the whole castle comes. splat.
    Elyssanda likes this.