What about a raid that...

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Evye, Aug 24, 2021.

1. Bigstomp Augur

DPS checks have a purpose.

There are more dps classes in a raid than there are healers/tanks combined. You need to have them need to do something not just be carried by the tanks and healers.
    Otherwise, we should all just roll tanks/healers.

We struggle with DPS checks at times on casual raids depending on turnout, but I think that's fair.
  2. Bigstomp Augur

RoF T4, Event 1. Glimpse.
    AE nuke divided/shared by the number of people around you.

You can run off and die, or hug up and an ae heal tops you all back up.
  3. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

I'd love to see more wayts to win an event. Like to losing the fail timers, so if guilds with lower DPS but better healing and tanking can keep going and with they get to do so.
    Elyssanda likes this.
  4. Mikana Augur

Mechanic that enforces race/alignments - need to balance the evil/good races in your groups, or whichever alignment is in the minority gets some penalty to their abilities. Extend this so that certain gatekeeper mobs can only take damage from certain alignments. Make illusions count :) Have portals that only specific races or alignments can get through.
    Evye and Elyssanda like this.
  5. Maedhros High King

Immediately disinterested after the silly use of the acronym meta.

None of the things you describe are most effective tactics available.
    Do you even understand what meta means?

First of all there are 26 letters in the alphabet and only 12 groups in a raid.
    Second of all there are 16 classes and only 12 groups in a raid.

What you are describing are arbitrary and frustrating restrictions.
    Yinla likes this.
  6. Skrab East Cabilis #1 Realtor

Meta isn't just an acronym, it's a real word. I don't think the OP used it properly in their example, but you're about to get a lot of Merriam-Websters thrown your way.
  7. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Event where you need to swap races with the use of the guild banner, you have to move between rooms through small doors, but the catch is that mechanic requires ogre illusion and you are on a timer fatties and collisions with your raid mates bounce you off each other.

Then you must jump up big steps, but the catch is you must all be illusioned as gnomes or you get booted off the steps, if you don't get enough to the top step in time....you are lunch.
    Evye, Ozon and Skrab like this.
  8. Skrab East Cabilis #1 Realtor

I like your idea and I'm going to riff off of it. The raid is an onslaught of wave after wave or minions and dangerous foes all attempting to reach the banker. Upon entry to the zone all player characters are old school ogre models. You must stand shoulder to shoulder and hold the line. None shall pass or Norrath faces certain doom.

I can't come up with a clever name for it though.
    Evye likes this.
  9. Accipiter Old Timer

United We Stand
  10. Froglok Augur

Form an alliance with other smaller Guild(s) to overcome this?
  11. The real Sandaormo Augur

How about a raid where I have to walk backwards in a circle for 20 mins. Oh wait they have that.
  12. Evye Augur

Get out of your most effective tactics box.
    Most effective tactics are boring.
    You only grow outside of your comfort zone.

MAKE RAIDING FUN AGAIN..

I personally would LOVE grouping with other people in my raids. I'm always in Group 1
    I always have the same shaman bard rogue zerk BL. It's kind of an honor in our guild.
    It means: I'm reliable, my dps is great and my attendance is pristine.
    I've worn those poor group members out with my jokes and hotkeys.
    If people were forced to group with other people maybe cliques wouldn't be so bad.

I get it we are creatures of habit.
    Right now raids are like lunch tables back in high school.
    Everyone sits at the same tables. Those are your friends.
    Mix the tables up make new friends! Sure its going to be weird at 1st
    but bonding with others over Zerg rushing a near wipe now that's a good time.

Best practices of big raiding guilds are stale. There is nothing more demoralizing than someone from big guild telling a smaller guild "this is how we do it". Real raiders like figuring stuff out. There shouldn't be one way to do a raid since there are so many variables to raiding and players.

Now I want to design a raid that scales making it harder for big raiding guilds that seems fun.
    Maybe a raid based on your achievements. The more achievements your raid has added per toon the harder the raid.

I've tried to develop no less than 3 raid ideas on these forums. Its just for fun.

You guys are lucky I'm not your DM.
    I'd give you a problem where the solution wasn't DPS.

13. Waring_McMarrin Augur

So what are your ideas for improving raids besides grouping players by the first letter of their name or grouping based on class groups? It sounds great that you want to make raids more fun but if you are not making suggestions it really is just complaining.

Also should point out that many people enjoy raiding the way it currently is set up and are happy with how raid leaders set up the raids each time. In the end most players want to work on clearing content in an efficient manner each week and not have to deal with wipes or near wipes as they farm content.
  14. Biltene Kingslayer

I am absolutely in favor of making unique, fun and interesting raids. Part of the problem we run into is that after 20+ years of raiding, and limited capabilities due to the age and code base of the game, we've seen a lot of the possible permutations of raid mechanics. Each year it becomes increasingly difficult to surprise, or impress seasoned raiders with something they haven't seen before. One of my favorite recent raids is Mearatas, but I was on a hiatus when it was current, so I didn't do any of the glass chewing, which probably skews my perception, but it had so much going on that made it a lot of fun. But even then, I don't think it incorporated anything new mechanic wise.

However, making raids based on the trivial, arbitrary criteria that OP suggests is in no way fun, interesting or engaging. I understand your desire to try things to spice up the raiding scene, but the pushback you've received isn't because we're not interested in new things, or that we're creatures of habit, it's because they are bad ideas. That's ok, not all ideas are great, but the concept of incorporating new and interesting things into raids is a good idea. We just need suggestions that will be fun.
    Ssdar, Sancus, Ozon and 1 other person like this.
  15. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Pillars of Alra, for all of it's foibles was an interesting example in the context of this discussion because it forced the Raid Leader to build groups somewhat differently than the usual synergistic builds.

There are other examples where the raid can be constructed a little differently for an optimal set up too, this isn't all that weird or unusual, and plenty of non "bleeding edge" guilds have less than ideal class distributions, some have next to no casters some have only a handful of tanks etc.

More ways to defeat raids would be nice, more interesting fail mechanics, less reliance on overkill burns to trivialise mechanics but also less raids that have a design intended to make an event drag on & on too much with not a lot of different things happening from phase to phase.

Some of these things can be done by way of leveraging the achievement system interacting with the loot system.
    e.g.
    Having a way to alter the loot table some by way of completing the raid in a certain way - like when you complete achievement X and bonus loot item X gets added to the chest as a bonus, do achieve Y and bonus loot item Y gets added (X & Y cannot be done together) - stuff like that adds some "replay value" to the raid but requires using a different method.

Some more fun & comedic touches in raids would be nice too, oh Player X was just turned into a roast turkey / plate of cake with legs and must kite the hungry boss around the table until the effect wears off.
    Biltene and Evye like this.
  16. Evye Augur

Its not every raid i just think having a raid where toons had to group one way or the other would break up the monotony.

The last thread i made about a raid idea you hated it too.
    I'm sure the post I made about a raid idea before that you hated too you just didnt see the post.

Many people may but my guild is bleeding people because of the last couple expansions.

17. Evye Augur

I get not every idea can be great. Everyone is open to suggest new raid ideas here.

Whats funny about mearates is i think someone compared the last raid idea i had to it but everyone was worried about their DPS and it being too hard...

What i find interesting is that most the people who respond negitivly to me are people from big guilds.
    Why is that I wonder? Are smaller guild under represented here? Big guilds scared of someone rocking the boat? Or is the man trying to keep me down? Who knows. All I do know is, because of the negitivity I've recived here, yalls guilds never have to worry about me updating mangelo so you can snipe me.

18. Evye Augur

My guild is mostly tanks and healers. (this is why i hate dps checks)
    I think the reason is because EVERYONE wants a raid tank for group content. So most the guild has raid tanks for their box group. This leads to 90% box groups in the guild for group content. So non boxers struggle to finish group content.

Great suggestions lets build on them.
    Love the loot locked to achivment idea.
    So TS items would have to go with that I think.
    Furthermore as much as you have to farm raids
    Some "special" items shouldnt appear on raid vendor.
    Lock um up keep them rare. If Meartas would have had some items like that there might only be 2 or 3 of them on the server.

HATE HATE HATE TS items being BIS I like more unique names. We are not storm soldiers. Pretty sure I suggested being able to name items long ago.
    I mean what smith EVER crafted the best sword ever and didn't name it
    Blightslayer, Sword of the Sun.

The some guilds have to spend more time on loot than raids.
    I don't care for dkp systems.

19. Act of Valor The Newest Member

Stop being so defensive. This happens in every single idea thread. People ask questions, people like your suggestions, people don't like your suggestions, and the OP flips out because everyone doesn't love it unanimously.
  20. Evye Augur

Should I not reply to the thread?