Key repeating: fully allowed game-play

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by MasterMagnus, Aug 14, 2021.

1. Deux Corpse Connoisseur

Autofire for non-autofire characters. I have a couple characters I am trying to raise skills like alteration, evocation, bind wound, etc and i'd like to autofire the assigned hotkey for the action instead of mouse clicking. I am an older player with carpel tunnel and honestly this repeated mouse click action also makes me sleepy too for some odd reason. Is there a simple recommendation anyone can give me? I think I use a standard $20 logitech mouse on a laptop thanks in advance!
  2. MasterMagnus The Oracle of AllHigh

I find two things that might help. I have not used either, and don't know how good they would be.
    https://www.logitech.com/en-us/product/options

https://www.logitechg.com/en-us/innovation/g-hub.html

You can delve into Windows 'Ease Of Access' features, including 'Sticky Keys', Key Repeat and Repeat Rate settings. It's pretty complicated that route, and a bit clunky. But if you're looking for a less full featured solution it might fit the bill. Also, you may find use of some of these features in other programs.

I use a programmable mouse in the ~$60 range, you can go lower, I think about ~$30 is the lowest you'll find that has enough programmability on board.

Not to put you off, but maybe explore some, and when you have a favored solution, but haven't spent any money yet, come back and start a thread with a more specific hardware - software - characters scenario to theory craft a light automation solution.

If that all makes sense.
    Deux and Stymie like this.
  3. Svann2 The Magnificent

I use windows mouse and keyboard center. Almost 99% sure it will work with logitech. Can make macros, set delays between key presses, and can be set to repeating.
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...download-f5b10905-7887-eedb-2f1c-d0737a36a3b2
    Deux and MasterMagnus like this.
  4. Accipiter Old Timer

No it isn't. Pay attention.
  5. Accipiter Old Timer

Not picking on you, but Piestro's post is meaningless. A lot has changed in 10 years.
  6. Accipiter Old Timer

A lot of folks use AutoHotkey for this.
    Deux likes this.
  7. Angahran Augur

so you are saying m-q-whatever does not read or manipulate the date between the client and the server ?
    That it does not allow doing things that are not possible in the regular client ?
  8. MasterMagnus The Oracle of AllHigh

First you said

Before we have a discussion can you get straight what you're talking about?

There is no DATE between Server and Client. Server has time and date set, Client has time and date set.

Perhaps you're talking about putting the client out of sync with the server? And how their code reacts to that.

Because setting your time wrong is a completely legitimate windows function they aren't changing.

They ought to fix their code if you're talking about sync.
  9. Accipiter Old Timer

I said nothing of the sort. I said it isn't clear to everyone which programs are cheating and which are not. You are the one that made the statement. Others have given you the current state of things regarding m q but you just cover your ears and speak louder.
    Corwyhn Lionheart likes this.
  10. MasterMagnus The Oracle of AllHigh

One more time with feeling...

-It's not hard to know what cheating is or is not.
    -It's not about what method you are using (hardware/software/1stparty/3rdparty).
    -It's only about what your character is doing, relative to what is 'fair to assume' a human could do. And any egregious things like viewing memory owned by EQ and/or viewing client-server DATA.

It doesn't matter that Piestro's statement is 10 years old or more. He shows some specific examples and gives the over-arching philosophy.

If they were going to change that broad view, or enforce that new stance, we'd have gotten wind of that in the past 10 years.

Ever hear the one about "Giving a fish, or teaching you how to fish"?

Giving you fish:
    Parsing - Not cheating
    Item Collectors - Not cheating
    Program that has autofire button (and you are still in the general vicinity of the keyboard) - Not cheating
    Swimming on auto-run into a corner to raise up swimming - Not cheating
    Cheating - not allowed.

Teaching you how to fish:
    If it's reasonable and not unfair it's not cheating. If it gives you an unfair advantage and allows you to do things that can't be normally done in game it's cheating.

Even if none of this convinces you, as has been noted, the cost alone to doing anything more enforcement-wise is very prohibitive. And it doesn't benefit them to be pinned down to a stance on a specific third party software out of their control.

To wrap it up. Stop using third party junk anyway. Just use key repeaters and stay within the rules. QoL here you come!
  11. Angahran Augur

jeez, it was a typo, I'm sorry.
    Yes, it's DATA!
    MasterMagnus likes this.
  12. Tucoh Augur

Haha what the hell. I wouldn't trust master magnus to tell me if it's raining outside after that last post.
  13. Tucoh Augur

Bingo. This is why darkpaw has the least effective enforcement policy they could devise.
  14. Angahran Augur

It is VERY clear that M-Q-Whatever IS CHEATING! It reads and manipulates the DATA going between the client and the server which is specifically mentioned as CHEATING.

I don't care what people have said about "the current state of things" regarding m-q-whatever. The fact is it is cheating.
    MasterMagnus likes this.
  15. Nennius Curmudgeon

I would hope that accounts that frequently cheat would be banned, but, as Kakgumu quite correctly notes, "...the real heart of the issue (is) Revenue." Like it or not, DPG is a for profit company and their decisions, like most those of most companies, will be guided by the bottom line. Only if cheating affects their bottom line in a much larger way are they likely to take a really hard stand on this.

That having been said, I hope cheaters get fried. I am not holding my breath though.
  16. Tucoh Augur

Just to continue this terrible and pedantic argument: being against the eula isn't necessarily cheating. Cheating means to gain an unfair advantage over players, which macaroni doesn't necessarily confer, as evidenced by some of the trash DPS some of the macaroni groups put out.
  17. MasterMagnus The Oracle of AllHigh

Simma dahn naw

I said IF. He said typo. It's all good.

18. Veteran_BetaTester PIZZA!

I casted an illusion on a warder... BOOM! the owner immediately shrank it.
    Hmm..
    I do it again on another warder (an alt of his).. Right away! Shrink casted from the owner
    Hmm..
    And I do it again on another.. RIGHT AWAY shrink casted from the owner.

I saw this repeat over and over for about 25 mins with me recasting this illusion making his warder grow, then owner shrinks it.

The players are afk.
    This was Guild Lobby.

GM didn't do Squat. The players are still there exactly in the same spot. Wait, let me test again!
    YEP!! Shrink was immediately casted. Bot spell casters.

Game Management needs to change. We pay to play and deal with this for too long.
  19. MasterMagnus The Oracle of AllHigh

I thought you were joking at first. After looking at this again I'm wondering.

Are you unaware of the sync issue with setting your windows time wrong or using a different time server than EQ uses?
  20. Angahran Augur

I give up.

You agree to abide by the EULA every time you log in.
    If you don't agree with the EULA then don't log in.

The EULA says "Don't cheat".
    M-q-whatever IS CHEATING.

[quote="Tucoh, post: 4057848, member: 423554"Cheating means to gain an unfair advantage over players, which macaroni doesn't necessarily confer, as evidenced by some of the trash DPS some of the macaroni groups put out.[/quote]
    m-q-whatever reads and manipulates the data between the client and the EQ servers which is SPECIFICALLY against the EULA and is CHEATING.

But whatever, feel free to keep cheating just don't come back and whining when/if you get suspended/banned.