Would you play another MMO when EQ ends?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Cicelee, Aug 20, 2021.

1. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

Already playing other games, have been for decades. Gems, Tradeskills, Collections, Old Raids, Old Missions, Hunter, TS Mat Hunting, Bazaar, Bag Organization, House Decorating, etc, etc.
    Sissruukk, Metanis and Elyssanda like this.
  2. Kobra Augur

If EQ were to end and thats not likely any time soon I would not play another MMO. There is nothing else out there like EQ and when I try newer games I don't care for them.

If by some miracle EQ 3 gets made I won't play it either, it will probably be terrible.
  3. Svann2 The Magnificent

What would you do if you couldnt play eq?
  4. yepmetoo Abazzagorath

I'll go back to playing playstation/nintendo RPGs. I have about 50 I haven't played that I wanted to at one point, lol.
  5. Flatchy Court Jester

I say I wont but I did enjoy Diablo and Baldurs Gate before I found my way to this addiction. I may look at those two.
    MasterMagnus likes this.
  6. CrazyLarth Augur

EQ will never end -- but when I retire and have more time for other games I would like to try that Star Trek Online
  7. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

I can't speak for everyone but I stick around EQ because of the people I play with. Some folks are more drawn to various game mechanics and not as social in EQ. I get how those folks are more likely to run around playing a lot of different games because they might not develop attachments to others in the game that keep them playing it.

I think folks who are less likely to create friendships and bonds in the games they play will be more likely to change games frequently compared to those who do make such connections.

And there is also the group of players who just really want challenge and float from game to game looking for it.

And then I guess there is the group that gets bored often and move from game to game.

If Everquest was a single player game I would agree with your statement more. But I don't believe most stick with Everquest JUST for the game itself.

P.S. I have tried out over a dozen MMOs over the years and non interested me as much as playing EQ (part of that the people and part of it because I like the game. And I must have over a hundred games on steam I just don't end up playing much at all because I prefer EQ.
    Tucoh and Elyssanda like this.
  8. Viper1 Augur

If you took EQ away, I would most def play another MMO. Provided the genre doesn't go to and publishers continue to invest in developing quality products. What I won't get caught up in is the kickstarter/early access scene. I've played lots of MMOs in the past and enjoy the format so I don't see myself suddenly not playing MMOs just because EQ goes away.

Anymore now, all expansion content can be done in 2-3 months of fairly casual play if you have a regular group. Don't even have to pull 12+ hour sessions to get it done. After that it's just raiding 2-3 nights a week, so what does one do with their free time the rest of the year if not playing other games?

But I've been an avid gamer long before EQ was around and even now play a lot of games that aren't EQ. I suspect that a fair number of EQ players are not avid gamers outside of EQ so the prospect of "starting over" is too big of a hurdle to overcome. The thought of having to "learn" a brand new game can be overwhelming, but as someone who is regularly picking up new games, it's not nearly as daunting as it seems.
  9. Rauven Augur

Easily. I've played about a dozen MMOs already.

What I find sad is people saying they wouldn't because of their investment in EQ. I'd really recommend you all examine the reasons you even play these games if you think the time spent is an 'investment'.

Playing a game for 20 minutes, or 20 years is playing a game. Not an investment.
  10. Svann2 The Magnificent

Ive seen several guilds that when they leave one mmo reform in another.
  11. Accipiter Old Timer

I've had this feeling in the past so I understand it. I was reluctant to give up my characters on Xegony for a long time. Most recently I played through to Live on Phinigel. I had a lot invested in those characters but they are gone now, effectively speaking. I might dust them off to play new expansions.

When EQ dies I will no doubt put on "Glory Days" and get nostalgic from time to time but that's about the extent of it.
  12. Accipiter Old Timer

I could see myself playing another MMO. When I first heard of Pantheon I thought that was going to be the one. That was 7 years ago. Seven years ago.

An MMO that breaks the recent pattern of leading you around by the nose would be a nice surprise. I have only played LOTRO and Rift in the past 10 years. The quest systems in those games leave nothing to chance. It's purely linear and there's no ability (or need) to stray from the path.
  13. Tucoh Augur

Great time to revisit both. Diablo2 remastered just came out and the recent remaster of baldurs gate is fire.
    MasterMagnus likes this.
  14. MasterMagnus The Oracle of AllHigh

What's this?! Remaster?
    I didn't know!

Baldurs Gate was so much fun to mod (hex edit) back in the day!!
  15. Tucoh Augur

The mod scene in baldurs gate is ridiculous now. So many great mods and so easy to use compared to the nonsense we did to the infinity engine with hex editors back in the day.
    MasterMagnus likes this.
  16. Axel Furry Hats OP

Y'all aren't playing other MMOs already?

There are so many cool things happening in the competition that it's hard to justify playing only 1 MMO. EQ is my main game, has been for years, but you're really missing out on good games, mechanics and tools that other MMOs have to offer. If EQ had a lot of those features (Mythic+ from WoW, amazing glamour sets from FFXIV, mouseover abilities that every other modern MMO has, somewhat balanced PvP) then I can see not playing the others, but you're seriously missing out.
  17. Flatchy Court Jester

My son plays Baldurs Gate now and has been bugging me to get on. Im kind of lame in that I dont like to play two diff games (excluding phone games) at a time, maybe someday.
    Elyssanda likes this.
  18. Sissruukk Rogue One

Sit on my porch and yell at people to get off my lawn.
  19. Visitor Augur

So if it happens, that they announce the sunset of EQ, i may just make a placard that the world ends on that day, and head some where to proclaim it.
  20. Cicelee Augur

You sound like someone who is not married, does not have kids in school, does not have family living within driving distance of you, is unemployed, and has a lot of money.

And if you have a job, spouse, kids in school, and lots of extracurricular activities and still find the time to be fully engaged in EQ and multiple other games/MMO.... more power to you. I barely have enough time to raid EQ and do slight progression and still give the rest of my responsibilities in life attention...
    Corwyhn Lionheart likes this.