What about a raid that...

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Evye, Aug 24, 2021.

1. Evye Augur

That did some fun meta stuff.
    Like only allowed people with names starting with the same letter to be in the group.
    Or only like classes in the same group. I'm sure we could come up with some meta ideas for raids.
  2. Waring_McMarrin Augur

Sounds like that would destroy a lot of guilds that can't meet those silly requirements and they end up being unable to progress.
    Fenthen, Coagagin, Froglok and 3 others like this.
  3. Evye Augur

Like DPS checks are any better?

Are you always so negative or is it just my ideas you don't like?
    Think outside of your "silly" box
    Axel likes this.
  4. strongbus Augur

they try stuff like that before. back in ROF had that raid that gave clues bout one member of the raid being the murder. you had to figure out who it was.
    Fenthen, Coagagin, Duder and 5 others like this.
  5. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

That will cause issues, you can only have 12 groups in a raid and there are 16 classes and 26 letters in the alphabet.

Gates of Discord had, bane mobs for classes.
  6. Waring_McMarrin Augur

Yes, DPS checks can be conquered by hard work but a check that requires parts of people's name to match can only be conquered by money (name changes) or the luck of having the right combinations in the first place.

In the end DPS checks are a natural part of of the game as your DPS improves as you improve your play and improve your gear. Checks such as what names players have or what classes in a group can be impossible for a guild to get past if they don't have the right member makeup.

In the end should players have to name change in order to match the mechanics of a raid?
    Fenthen, Duder and Celephane like this.
  7. Skrab East Cabilis #1 Realtor

I’d prefer a raid that starts from the end. Clear the big bad boss, then enter a treasure room. Open the chest and you get to choose the loot you want to take. Let’s say, there are 5 items and you get to pick 3. The 5 items are at random like a normal loot chest. The items you pick determine the raid mobs you fight and their various imbued special traits.
    Evye and Stymie like this.
  8. Svann2 The Magnificent

I love bane mobs - said the bard.
    :)
    Elyssanda likes this.
  9. Evye Augur

Try saying that when you are in a smaller guild.
    DPS checks are dumb AF.
    Why do you care about the dps? What if a guild is naturally low on dps classes and high on tanks and healers.... DPS checks screw them. Big guilds dont have that problem. You are bias.

10. Evye Augur

They wouldn't have to. change names unless they were silly and couldnt play with fun mechanic
  11. Evye Augur

Yeah those raids were kinda fun. but everyone used Gina crap to cheat then it wasnt fun.

12. Evye Augur

Bruh its an Idea you have to play with to develop i never said it was pristine.
    But its an easy fix..
    Start from the top down A to Z 1st 6 that meet the closest critiera make a group. so if its 1 a 1b 1c 1d 1e 1f its one group or if its 6A's or any thing in between...

13. Waring_McMarrin Augur

A smaller guild would likely have the same or bigger problem with the mechanics you suggested. Also I never said that the only thing that they should do are DPS checks, all I said is the ideas you suggested are silly.
  14. Nolrog Augur

What about a subject. . . .

that gives a quick summary of your post?
    Duder and Act of Valor like this.
  15. Nolrog Augur

Not to mention a logistical nightmare.
    Ssdar, Duder, Elyssanda and 1 other person like this.
  16. Act of Valor The Newest Member

I'm glad /feedback is gone.
    Fenthen and Duder like this.
  17. Evye Augur

You can never know that. It was a simple idea i had on a whim as something fun to talk about on the forums. After a few endvors of posts with new "silly" ideas I see that most people just want to crap on ideas instead of talk about them.
    You are really tell the median age of EQ is pretty high.

18. Waring_McMarrin Augur

Why not think of other ideas instead of two ideas that have problems about how they would work quickly pointed out. No one is suggesting that coming up with new ideas is a bad thing just that the suggestion of having to manipulate groups based on player name or only certain classes in a group is going to cause issues for all guilds especially smaller ones. Why not suggest a new mechanic that can be done regardless of the size and makeup of a guild? In my mind it would seem much more rational to get a wide range of ideas instead of focusing on what first comes to mind.

However it should be remembered that no matter what idea you come up with at this point in the year it likely won't make it into the upcoming expansion.

As a side note I would like to ask why you can post what you think but others can't respond with feedback and their thoughts?
    Ssdar likes this.
  19. Axel Furry Hats OP

Yes, more raids that are outside the "kill boss maybe a few adds, get loot" strategy.

Meta stuff (like how they did the ROF murder mystery raid) and puzzle events (like Sanctum Somnium 1(?) maze raid) are fun and break the monotony of "click DPS rotation, get loot" and "spam heal Tank# get loot" and "pick up Mob#, don't die, get loot" that every class is suffering from. The few mechanics that we have, while they add more to the raid, don't hit the same as solving something and trying to figure something out.

The alphabet group idea would be cool as long as there aren't damage events happening (group ABCDEF could be all DPS while GHIJKL could all be healers) or something like "have at least 3 characters in the group that don't start with the same letter and that group gets a 10% DPS/heal/mitigation buff". Make the raid beatable without following the mechanic, but give rewards for actually doing the mechanic correctly. The only problem I see with this is spending 5+ minutes rearranging groups because the raid window is lagging.

Maybe instead of groups, each letter gets an aura that they can step into to get the buff during a boss downtime phase. Don't make the aura, get a negative buff, like "increase <boss damage type (eg poison)> damage taken" or take big damage (not kill them unless they have bad gear).

Make some raid mobs do a lot more magic damage to the tank than physical damage so that stacking hINT or hWIS can be not only viable, but good options for tanks.

Make raid stack mechanics. Deals X damage divided by number of players near you. Pretty sure this is already in the game, shouldn't be hard to implement the function in a new raid.
    Make raid spread mechanics. All players get a debuff "Deals X damage to all PCs, including yourself, within 15 units". Targeted AE mechanic. Definitely already in game, should be easy to implement.
    Make raid spread stack mechanics. RaidMembers divided by 5 players get a debuff "Deals X damage divided by number of players near you (max 5), including yourself".
    Evye and Ssdar like this.
  20. Bigstomp Augur

This event was really well done, and still required the regular raid mechanics like healing, moving, tanking, CC, dpsing.

Probably still my favorite raid. It was both fun communicating figuring out who was the murderer, and I felt it was perfectly balanced in difficulty for when it came out. (and after a good 9 months I finally got to be the murderer)
    Elyssanda, Xyroff-cazic. and Yinla like this.