Would you play another MMO when EQ ends?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Cicelee, Aug 20, 2021.

1. Cicelee Augur

I cannot see me playing another MMO once EQ ends. The amount of time commitment that a MMO warrants is just too much for me to want to do it another decade or two. And it isn't just the time commitment, but the fixed time commitment that a MMO raid guild requires for guild events. As much as I enjoy the genre, this might be a once in my lifetime deal.

How about you?
    Tarvas and Laurana like this.
  2. Cragzop Cranky Wizard

No. I'm too old to learn anything else.
    Deux, Laurana, Marton and 4 others like this.
  3. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

I'm getting on a bit, so doubtful this grumpy old lady will play anything else. I dislike change and struggle enough to get my head around EQs ever changing game play to even think about starting something new from scratch.

I considered Pantheon a few years back but I think its going to be too late of a release now for me to learn.
    Laurana and Elyssanda like this.
  4. Numiko Augur

I generally play 3 or 4 MMO's and other games at the same time, just casual of course but never have I just played EQ 1 or any other game exclusively.
    Skuz and Axel like this.
  5. Andarriel Everquest player since 2000

Cant wait for Diablo 2 Resurrected comes out what i was playing before eq back in 2000 lol. But for me another game like eq i would say no i put so much time into this game main reason i didnt even give eq2 a shot!

Andarriel
  6. Eaedyilye More stonehive bixies.

We have another 20 years of EQ. no need to worry about starting a new game. With that said, I doubt very much if I would start another.
    Angahran and Elyssanda like this.
  7. Skrab East Cabilis #1 Realtor

Why limit yourself to EQ1?
  8. Windance Augur

Time investment in EQ limits the amount of other things one can really commit to.

Will I play other MMO's. Very likely. It will depend on how 'clickie' they are. I can't play FPS anymore with out serious strain to the wrists and after 1-2 hrs of play I will be in pain for days after.
  9. Elyssanda Bardbrain

I don't know. As others have mentioned, Pantheon caught my interest, but seems to be dead in the water of eternal alpha testing. Nothing else I've seen to date has caught my attention. But since I'm not an EQ doomsayer, I believe it will be around another 10+ years (they did at one point say they had ideas for expansions planned for at least that long), so who is to say what develops in that time?
    Yinla and Skuz like this.
  10. Svann2 The Magnificent

Hopefully theres something I like by then.
    Project Gorgon is pretty good, but a bit grindy and people generally dont group up except to do the daily missions so IDK how long that will go. Others have issues such as pvp focus, or attacking using mouse buttons instead of keyboard, etc.

Pantheon is a strong possibility but it seems like it is always on the horizon, and also being such a small group will likely suffer from not enough new yearly content. But then again eq has that problem too.
  11. Hythos Augur

SWG2 or an actual Fallout MMO are what I'm after.
    I've tried New World and quite like it, despite that it's not an RPG.

Smedly being over at AWS/AGS and working with the Open3DEngine means something very interesting is possible... Rumors are that this could be SWG2 (pending licensing).
  12. Laronk Augur

For me it all comes down to if I make friends in the game. If there's friends for me to play with and voice chat with I'm going to have a much larger chance of sticking around.
    yepmetoo, Sissruukk, Windance and 3 others like this.
  13. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

I stick around for the people more then anything. If EQ went belly up not sure if I would get into another MMO.
    Windance, Elyssanda and Skuz like this.
  14. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Right now I am mainly playing EverQuest, I play some Civ VI on patch days and when I take days off from EQ I sometimes mess about in "CoH Homecoming" or "Return of Reckoning".

Before EverQuest I played Ultima Online but not for long, and 1999 to 2008 I used to play EverQuest as my "main game" but later also casually played many of the other SoE games too, EverQuest II, Matrix Online, Vanguard: Saga of Heroes, Star Wars Galaxies, Free Realms - and away from SoE Dark Age of Camelot, Horizons, Dark & Light, WoW, Asheron's Call 2.

I took a 7 year hiatus from EverQuest and during that time played a whole bunch of other games, Warhammer Online: Age of Reckoning, Rift, Aion, Age of Conan, The Secret World, Guild Wars 2, Tera, Dungeons and Dragons Online, Shin Megami Tensei, Trove, City of Heroes/Villains, Atlantica Online, Runes of Magic, Anarchy Online, Star Wars the Old Republic, Defiance, Fallen Earth, Perfect World, The Chronicles of Spellborn & Wildstar.

Upcoming:
    Pantheon - this has most of what I am looking for from a new PvE Fantasy MMORPG,.
    Camelot Unchained - hoping it can revive the RvRvR concept.
    Ashes of Creation - I am loosely following as I think it may have some interesting gameplay.

Possiblly interesting:
    Palia - looks less about adventuring style gameplay and more about gathering, farming and exploring, 3D Stardew Valley vibe.

Still, I think I shall be playing EQ for as long as it continues anyway but I have an optimistic streak that thinks it still could spring some surpises on the genre with the right amount of investment & updates.

I'll be 51 in January, I don't feel old "in the brain" but my body is knackered.
    Elyssanda likes this.
  15. Tucoh Augur

[IMG]
    People who dump tons of hours month after month into EQ and ignore other games are missing out. It's like eating every night from a restaurant that was great 20 years. Their choice though, live how you want.
    Viper1, Skrab and Laronk like this.
  16. henry0918 Journeyman

Lol another eq , you wish
    As if there’s a chance a true eq sequel would ever happen
    Even the only person that able to have that magical touch on MMO is dead , and the world is going backward
  17. yepmetoo Abazzagorath

Some people like being married. Some people like screwing around.
    Fenthen and Cuuthbert like this.
  18. Nennius Curmudgeon

So, if I leave the "one true faith", i.e. Everquest, I will owe alimony and/or child support?
    Elyssanda and Svann2 like this.
  19. Tucoh Augur

I have one wild weekend where i start a doomed six box ranger group and now i have to pay six high support needs worth of child support
  20. Nennius Curmudgeon

The perils of the boxing life.