Opt-in PvP system for 1 or more (future or current) TLPs

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by MoveFastRZ, Aug 20, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MoveFastRZ Bloodsaber

Although, I've only ever played EQ seriously on PvP servers, I'd like to start by saying:

*I don't think EQ PvP has been balanced enough to be enjoyable for a long, long time now (many, many expansions)

*I think early-era content has been so deeply explored and exploited by the TLP community that PvP in it is not necessarily any better. Which is why P99's red server is such a dead zone.

*(*(*(*(*(*HOWEVER)*)*)*)*)*

There's obviously a consistent demand for PvP from a vocal minority of players. Not all of these players just want to treat EQ like a first-person shooter. Some want the additional immersion of having an option to settle differences through PvP.

The solution seems pretty simple, and at this point in the history of MMOs, the best way to implement PvP in games that are built for PvE has been evident for a few years:

Implement PvP on certain designated server(s) as an opt-in feature.

My understanding is that P99 already does this--even though it isn't 'classic'--by adding a 'Priest of Order' in addition to the 'Priest of Discord.' In return for non-trivial (but also entirely realistic) quest turn-ins, the PoO (henceforth: POO) will turn your character flag from PvP-enabled back to blue/PvP-disabled.

The hassle of completing the turn-ins discourages the worst kind of flagging exploitation (to grief people and then go blue). The same effect could be achieved by using lockouts on flagging changes (once you give your book to the PoD, you have to wait 48 hours before your flag goes red, and vice versa for going back to blue). If people still want to abuse the flagging system to grief each other after that, it's not the developers' or GMs' problem. It also wouldn't be the blue/PvE community's problem, because through the magic of the ignore button, whatever drama is affecting red players would have few (if any) consequences for everyone else.

Most importantly, a solution like this would cost hardly any development resources to implement.

Although the system wouldn't fix the problems with PvP, and might even create a few new ones, it would allow EQ players who want PvP irrespective of those problems (these players obviously do exist) to get at least some of it on populated servers. If implemented on Live servers in addition to TLP, it would have the added benefit of making the inevitable merging of Zek into a blue server less of a death sentence for the PvP play style.

Discuss: RESPECTFULLY, Y'ALL.
    HekkHekkHekk likes this.
  2. Gheed Is not reading your response

WTB PVP SERVER QUEUE THE CRYBABYS
  3. MoveFastRZ Bloodsaber

Nothing wrong with crybabies. Cue 'em!
    Gheed likes this.
  4. Ginix Augur

5. yepmetoo Abazzagorath

They stopped giving players on blue servers PVP books due to all the petitions it causes when they turned them in to the PoDs without knowing the ramifications. Not sure why you think they will open themselves back up to that.
  6. MoveFastRZ Bloodsaber

Did you read the post?

I am proposing that they make it possible for a player to remove their own PvP flag.

Given that players can still talk to any PoD in the game, get a book, flag red, and then--under the current rules--be stuck red and need to petition to get out, what I'm asking for is actually likely to reduce the number of people going red and then petitioning for a flagging change.
  7. Rauven Augur

I've seen Red names on Mischief. So... do the quest. Its already a feature.
    Yinla likes this.
  8. Machen New Member

This already exists on every single TLP.
  9. taliefer Augur

is there a word for the plural of single numbers? like dozens of, or tens of, only fewer.

cause I look forward to seeing whateverthatwordis of red names on the server.
  10. Machen New Member

Threesomes?
  11. MoveFastRZ Bloodsaber

I'll keep saying this whenever it's relevant:

Did...

you...

read...

the...

post?

It's not opt-in if you can't reverse it/people can't choose--to a reasonable extent--when they do and do not want to participate in PvP. With minimal development effort, a way to unflag from PvP could be implemented that discourages abuse but allows for PvP on an opt-in basis, meaning that PvP players could enjoy the benefits of playing on a blue server (decent economy, etc.) without permanently excluding themselves from grouping with 98+ percent of any server with a healthy population.

P99 already does this. Simple.
  12. MoveFastRZ Bloodsaber

You can remove your PvP flag at will/through an in-game quest?

Because a forum search seems to indicate that's not possible.

In which case:

Did you read the post?
  13. Rauven Augur

There's no reason to remove it. You're not PVPing if you can just blue back.

Sounds like you want /duel or using Arenas, which also exist.
  14. MoveFastRZ Bloodsaber

No, I want the ability to flag myself for open world PvP and then to remove that flag, conditional upon the inconvenience of a quest or the waiting period of a lockout.

That's not /duel, it's not arenas, and you're a turd for making that argument when you know it's not the same thing.

This change would cost zero development resources. You have no reason to trash it except that,

A). You didn't bother reading the post and now you're defending your inane reply, and...

B). You're a jerk.
  15. Waring_McMarrin Augur

This makes sense, have the ability to enable and disable pvp from a PoD could encourage more players to mess around with pvp on a TLP server. It should at least be worth looking into so that they can reduce the GM work from disabling pvp from someone.
  16. Rauven Augur

You're going to go for the personal attack? Ok we'll get this thread locked then

You're a whiny wannabe PVPer who wants to take potshots at people but then don't want to have to deal with the consequence of your actions. Hence why you want to try and have a system to gank at people, but when they come for you, you can 'do a little quest' as a get out of jail free card.

You're a POS player who can't handle themselves. Period.

The fact you won't do the quest on a current TLP proves that.
  17. Machen New Member

As far as I'm aware, yes, it works the same way it works on p99. I've never done it, don't see the point of pvp on a server where people can opt out. And I could well be wrong. But I was under the impression that they changed it some years back to be able to opt in/opt out. I'd suggest you go try it and report back.
  18. Rauven Augur

The only reason to opt out is so a POS player can avoid consequences. They want to kill steal and not get ganked for it. They want to try and sneak in some cheapshots when reds are hitting a named target, but not have it done back to them.

Either go all in, or don't. Be a PVPer, or don't.
    Machen likes this.
  19. MoveFastRZ Bloodsaber

I'll make you a deal, smartypants:

Choose any well-populated server you don't currently play on, roll a character there, and then...

Every time you get an XP group, roll a pair of six-sided dice. If you score double sixes, join the group and grind. If you score anything less, decline the invite to the group and try again.

Nobody asks you to meaningfully your character's ability to interact with *any* server that has a reasonable population just to have your character flagged the way you want.

So, I only want what other players get, and at zero inconvenience or cost to them.

You made it personal by jumping on a constructive thread with troll comments after not even reading the post. I'm just responding in kind. Eat me.
  20. MoveFastRZ Bloodsaber

You're wrong. I checked. There's no way to unflag. You can only flag. A petition is still required to remove the flag.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.