BURNS: When to click AAs and Clickies?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Bobokatt07, Aug 17, 2021.

1. Bobokatt07 Journeyman

Hey folks,
    I apoligize in advance as I did not know HOW to properly word the title for what I meant to ask.
    This is probably the dumbest questions but I have always wondered about the mechanics.

Let us assume we are using a NECRO (115) as an example. By this I mean DOTs that get cast and are running on a MOB. So... DOTs are running on a MOB, check. You THEN decide to burn. YOU THEN start clicking the aa's like SPIRE and then your AA for DOT twincast and then AA for hand of death, Gathering Dust etc., then you might also kick in your Glyph of Destruction etc., and then you click your ROBE etc..

My question, as my brain works like 0's and 1's... as the DOTs are running and say you DO NOT CAST ANY more DOTs or refresh the ones that are currently running... assuming they are all still running, do all the AA's, Glyphs, and click (Robe) benefits affect the PREVIOUSLY cast DOTs? Or must you KEEP casting new (same) DOTs to take advantage of the AAs/clicks/Glyphs? I mean OF COURSE Necros will keep recasting DOTs as they expire, but my question is nit-picking about previously cast ones.

I am not sure I am properly explaining myself. Sigh.

I suppose the question is... should you START casting your WHOLE DOT rotation FIRST and then click all your burns...... or..... CLICK all your AAs/Glyphs and clicks etc., and THEN cast all your DOTs for MAX damage? I suppose it depends on duration of AAs and Clicks.

I get it that for a DD caster... you click your AAs and Clicks and THEN your NEXT DD will take advantage of all the benefits... but for DOTs I have always properly wondered.

This is for a simulation of just SOLO or group work but what do the all grand all be all raiders do?
    Timing is always the key.
    Cheers.
  2. kizant Augur

Your burns will effect any DoT currently running. So, yeah, you may want to load up a bunch of DoTs first before clicking some of your burns. At least the ones that are duration based and not counter.
    Windance and Bobokatt07 like this.
  3. Szilent Augur

Casting dots faster only works while you're casting your dots. Mercurial Torment should be already on when casting dots.

Twincasting dots works when you cast them. Heretic's Twincast has to be already on when casting dots.

Crit boosts and focuses work on your dots as they're ticking. These are, situationally/usually, best applied after a some dots or a full stack of dots is on so that your burns have more dots to be crit-boosting and focusing. This is Hand of Death and Spire of Necromancy and Gathering Dusk (and Glyph of Destruction if you're spending one)(and Curse of Muram if you need it).

It's most important to have the best multipliers working while the best dots (in Aug'21 that's Klraggek and Septic Proliferation) are twin-ticking.
    bobokatt likes this.
  4. bobokatt Augur

Szilent, you lost me a bit. Ok it's A GIVEN that Mercurial Torment is on... to be able to cast DoTs, spells as fast as possible. Check. Sorry I did not include that in my example but trust me that sucker is on whenever it's available and especially ON BURNS.

But you say that herectic's has to be already on.... I always keep this for last but I am starting to feel this needs to be CLICKED right away from what you are saying, from the start. The AA lasts a long time and I note in the past that the Named is down and that the AA is still on, counters and all. Hum. Unless as you then bring up... Proliferation.

I get it I get it. That of course makes sense...
    Make sure to have the BEST multi and Twin when the TOP TWO DoTs are running at the very least.

Klraggek can be reappied at any time, but xxx Proliferation is a pain. I have always wondered about that, as its crap little "pre" brother is ticking down and all your other DoTs are doing their business and using up counters, and all your AAs and Clicks etc., are being used and sadly by the time they are done (although it was a GOOD run and all of them took advantage of the AAs and Clicks etc.) by the TIME the proliferation procs, MOST of my AA's and Clicks are DOWN.

I totally get it. Thanks for that. I will do some serious testing to incorparate WHEN to cast the AAs and Clicks based on the heavy hitter (proliferation).... naturally this ONLY applies to named (again solo or group) where the name might ACTUALLY live long enough for the proliferation to do its business. Still... very good points.
  5. bobokatt Augur

Thank you for that Kizant. In my mind I left OUT the "counters" or at least forgot to mention or factor that in.
    Cheers.
    kizant likes this.
  6. Silu Elder

Depends what the fight duration is and what your goal is. The absolute most DPS you can do is just casting twinned Klraggek (+ hand + spire + glyph) on a million adds, then clicking gathering dusk when you have the most dots flowing, and hitting chaotic power (blood nuke) as soon as twincast drops.

You should generally cast wounds before hitting burns, so you don't waste a twin on it before it proliferates. If you are really motivated, you can take off your det ext item (usually back) before casting it, then put it on and start your cast cycle. This was more beneficial when we had 3-5 wounds to proliferate vs the one we have now.

Of note, Hand of Death has a cast time, so if you are tying Heretic's Twincast, Spire, Hand and Mercurial to a multibind, Hand needs to be the furthest right on the hotbar so they all activate with one press.

Most raid burns these days aren't single target, so you're doing a mix of a complete DoT stack on one mob (boss) and Klraggek and a couple other high DPS DoTs on adds to max out. The better the raid DPS, the more your DPS will be split among higher DPS / shorter duration DoTs on more adds. More Klraggek is usually better than swapping in the low end DoTs like ignite, scourge (live mobs), or miasma.

If you are just talking about named in the group game, I usually just hit wounds, then burns, then cast from top to bottom, casting blood nuke once twin is down. That should kill most things pretty fast.
  7. zleski Augur

For necros, don't use twincast alongside funeral pyre because you don't want your twincasted dots to have a shorter duration.

All of the things that give bonuses to dot crit and damage are best used once you have "enough" dots ticking. Work out how to maximize your twincast ticks, however.
  8. Veteran_BetaTester PIZZA!

Read it again.