Test Update 08/10/2021 - Patch Notes and Discussions

Discussion in 'Test Update Notes and Bug Roundup' started by EQ Dev, Aug 10, 2021.

1. Captain Video Augur

No and no. There will be a few new achievements, as listed in the patch notes. If you want to add the new ones to your score, you'll have to go to the zones in question and kill those specific NPCs, it won't give you backwards credit. You won't lose anything you've already completed. The idea is to fill in a few gaps for things that were overlooked in previous achievement setup. This isn't the first set of such updates, and probably won't be the last.
  2. Sunriver Journeyman

I really don't think you understand. There are existing achievements that are having new mobs added to them. So, if you already completed them, he's asking if they will stay completed (even though you don't have the new mob) or will he have to go and get that new mob to complete it. Based on past experience with this, the achievement will become uncompleted and he will have to get the new mobs that were added.

So, yes, he will lose things he already completed. Not actual kills, but the full achievement completion itself.
  3. Sunriver Journeyman

Again, the proximity aggro changes may affect far taunt, though there are potential work arounds I'd imagine. However, LOS was always ignored in the hackers code before, so making taunt require LOS will make no difference to the cheaters. It literally will only affect regular players (and mostly TLP players, since that's usually the eras when pulling intelligently matters more).
  4. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

The new mobs were added as optional so it won't change already completed achieves.

If in doubt copy to test and check.
    Captain Video likes this.
  5. Izzard of Bertox Augur

Touché sir.
  6. Ibadan Kun'Tirel Augur

Okay, that will sometimes be helpful. Can we also get a /pet swarmbackoff? Similar to the current /pet back off.... That way we are not sacc'ing all the swarm damage. (This probably affects mages more than most, to be honest... other swarms are less potent?)
  7. kizant Augur

They have to differentiate a swarm pet from a regular pet somehow. Either attack or die is probably the only options that make sense.
  8. Ibadan Kun'Tirel Augur

The fact that swarm pets have different damage/hp values and poof after so many seconds isn't enough differentiation?
  9. Dre. Altoholic

Arrows have minimum range and are not ideal to use indoors/close quarters. They're also slow. At medium range with Selos I can run up and tag a mob faster than my arrow shoots. Plus you're futzing with bandoliers/etc which is not ideal on an every-mob basis.

Melee attacks/kick/etc are much more sensitive to positioning because you need to be facing the mob, so mashing taunt is waaay more likely to actually get the mob instead of a 'cant see/out of range' error that leaves you standing around derping for a second or two. Multiply that times the hundreds of times you pull a mob every day. Add to that certain abilities waste agro because they don't generate full agro if the mob is not already on your hatelist when you use them, tapping taunt first addresses this smoothly without waiting for the server response that comes with other spell/button mashes.

Warriors in particular have a tiny toolset of abilities that are effective at tagging mobs until much later in the game, so this is really going to hurt where we're already very weak on prog servers.

I understand the reason for the nerf but edge cases do not not justify changing the core functionality of an ability that has been in EQ since day 1. Remove this change from the patch until you have a fix that doesn't cause so much collateral damage.
    Wulfhere likes this.
  10. kizant Augur

Nope. They're supposed just mindlessly swarm. That's kinda how they got the name.
  11. Ibadan Kun'Tirel Augur

Ah, see, I thought they got the name swarm because there were so many of them. They are a 'swarm' of pets. Kind of like bees. They swarm, but not necessarily mindless. (They attack with a purpose in a quick frenzy, then get back to work. The same swarm might address multiple threats, but possibly lose individual members of the swarm along the way. They can be directed to many purposes...)

Side note: How did we name them swarm anyway.... Mages first group were a host, and then we have servants.... Something just became colloquial and it stuck? Both of the previous terms, host and servants, denote more than just mindless/single-minded focus/fury. As other 'swarms' came into existance/existed, I'm sure it just became easier to have one term for all of the frustrating little vermin.... hence swarm. (Perhaps some other class is actually a swarm)
  12. kizant Augur

Most people probably think of a zerg swarm. The devs probably looked at a thesaurus and saw that host is a synonym for swarm but who knows.
    Skuz likes this.
  13. Jackson New Member

The taunt fix doesn't hurt what you are talking about...

you can still run up and taunt a mob to pull it. all this changes is your ability to single pull taunt mobs (usually that you aren't kos to). you can still run up and taunt mobs to pull them the same as an arrow.

The way you talk you seem to act like they are taking taunt out of the game. your scenario of running up to a mob with selos to taunt it as am alternative to shooting an arrow... what changes in this patch that stops you from doing that still?
  14. Dre. Altoholic

I was responding to another poster. Please see the quoted text.
  15. Jackson New Member

you specifically requested the change be undone. why? How does the patch change what you say? I am following the conversation just fine here. you were pointing out that warriors do use taunt to pull sometimes. and that's fine. but then you say they should undo the change. so maybe you're thinking this patch will mean you can't run up and taunt a mob as a pull technique rather than shooting an arrow?

please explain why you think this change should be undone.
  16. Dre. Altoholic

That's not what I said.
    Taunt is often needed by tanks to pull agro from enemies beating on your groupmates. In EverQuest, mobs tend to take... creative... routes when chasing down players. I can't tell you how many times I've been standing directly in front of a mob and my melee/hate abilities dont work, but taunt does.
    Velisaris_MS likes this.
  17. Jackson New Member

what is the collateral damage. I'm not understanding what is changing from what you do before the patch, to what you do after the patch. why must this change be undone. I'm missing your main point of what this change hurts so drastically.

maybe I'm misunderstanding exactly what this change is going to hurt. I need it explained sorry.
  18. Metanis Bad Company

As a cleric I have no dog in this fight over taunt pulling. But I find it hilarious the divergence between what players WANT changed versus the changes forced down our throats. It's almost like we're playing in THEIR world now.
  19. Dre. Altoholic

There are many examples of perfectly normal situations where a mob gets stuck on zone geometry, in a floor, entering/exiting water, glitched, etc, not to mention slightly over a bump, behind a pebble or around an invisible corner. In these situations taunt is sometimes the only tool available that will work. (not all groups have a pet they can send in here)

I might be okay with the devs changing taunt after they've addressed all of the game's zone geometry, AI, pathing and LoS issues. But since we all know how likely that is, let's not break taunt first, mm?
  20. Jackson New Member

lol. yeah I think we are all okay with those very rare examples not working anymore.

no wonder you weren't wanting to give examples until I had to pry them out of you.

The change is to stop the cheaters from single pulling mobs with far taunt. those examples you give are weak arguments to allow cheaters to keep using their tricks. I'm okay losing your corner cases if it means the cheaters lose one of their best utilities.