[Request] More char buff slots

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Yinla, Aug 14, 2021.

1. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

Noticed recently burns not landing due to having too many buffs, especially on Sontalak where you need to have shadow buffs active or risk dispelling the good stuff.

It never used to be too much of a problem as a caster, could easily drop haste and attack buffs but since casters are now expected to melee as well they need to keep those up. I hate to think how much of a problem this is for hybrids.
    Marton, Dre., Raccoo and 1 other person like this.
  2. demi Augur

im guessing this is for raiders < the minority ) who cares about raids .. in group game there are enough :p ;)
    Flatchy likes this.
  3. Tucoh Augur

Would love for them to either increase this or consolidate / remove buffs. The number of buffs each char can kick out is incredible.
    Dre., Raccoo, demi and 1 other person like this.
  4. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

EQ has generational bloat everywhere, the buff system is no different, trick is getting enough dev time to work on consolidation.

Could put cleric ward & symbol as one buff, all of the shaman stat-buff stuff as one buff for two examples right off the bat.

Thing is whether dev agree with the consolidation to free up more slots or whether "buff management" is something they think is a rewarding mini-game.

Personally I would rather we didn't have mobs that dispell random buffs or even "the first 5" at all.

Buffs being dispelled should mostly be any of your self buffs that you can quickly recast.

Alternatively some raid events could use a "targetted" buff dispell such as a mob that wipes only cleric hp/ac buffs so you need to have a cleric ready to recast those during the fight as a mechanic, meaning you have one MGB heal less available perhaps.

Buff dispelling currently is a lazy and sloppy design in my book as it does not allow for players to have an active counter / intelligent solution, just lame things like having the first 5 buff slots carrying junk buffs that lead to this buff-locking situation.
    Raccoo, Yinla, Warpeace and 1 other person like this.
  5. Fanra https://everquest.fanra.info

Can we get a super duper "Like" button for posts such as this? ;)
    Doranur_Aleguzzler and Stymie like this.
  6. Warpeace Augur

This would be an interesting mechanic and could actually be fun.
    Elyssanda likes this.
  7. Nzambi New Member

No, no there are not, my very much non raid SK EASILY maxes out on group burns and loses some buffs. My ranger gets very close and that is with blocking some and my BST is right behind ranger.
    Velisaris_MS, Elyssanda and Yinla like this.
  8. Raccoo Augur

So many buffs that do the same thing. This is my hotkey to drop levitation. I have to block and then unblock in sets because characters also have a limit to how many spells they can block.
    [IMG]

This is my SK's buffblocked list. Multiple mod rods, illusions, and old resist buffs that are worthless to me (sure, I could place mod rods in a house to prevent getting them).
    [IMG]
  9. Szilent Augur

I don't want more buff slots. I want less buffs. There's plenty of other avenues to express "preparing for battle" without managing 30-70 blinking tiles. Any buff that persists from battle to battle (and especially, to be quite pointed, from Guild Lobby to battle) should have its benefits absorbed into those other avenues; leveling up, skills, AA, gear and augs, achievement rewards all great ways to build up lasting benefits.
    Stymie, Dre. and Tucoh like this.
  10. demi Augur

why cant they just add buffs to be permanent ? like they do with the focus stuff from gear .. like shaman buffs or enchanter buffs and cleric :p just make them permanent so we doint have to reapply :p as long as they have the spell scribed and once it lands on us we can click off and the buff becomes either permanent for say 24 hours or till we die or FOREVER BUFFS.. then we have to get them to cast on us again
    Dre. likes this.
  11. Nzambi New Member

My biggest one is spell hastes, my god the spell hastes. Not only are they useless for hybrids but THEY WILL ALL LAND!!! Before I started blocking them I went AFK in lobby and came back to 7 cleric spell hastes.
    Celephane and Velisaris_MS like this.
  12. theonepercent Augur

Blocked buffs also have a limit for whatever reason, so at least on tlp you have to constantly go in and remove old versions of spells to fit in the new versions. Then you sit in lobby and people cast the low level buffs just because they know it will annoy people.
  13. Szilent Augur

sirs.
    Celephane likes this.
  14. Nzambi New Member

Yes, lots of people do it because not everyone has direct access to every single buffing class. It's a good way to catch MGBs to be ready when you go out to kill things.
  15. Szilent Augur

That players feel a dependence on buffs seems to me a problem to be solved.
    Stymie, Dre., Celephane and 3 others like this.
  16. kizant Augur

The only buffs a wizard needs is clarity, improved familiar, levitate, shield of destiny, restless focus, and skelly illusion. You can count the rest as junk. And I guess spell haste if you don't have a good banner.
  17. Szilent Augur

Clarity is a prime candidate for distributing away. There's long term steady mana regen gains just from leveling up and also on gear, another version on gear, also AA, another AA, that other AA too, and the familiar that you already included in your list. Any combination of those would be great spots to receive bits of the deleted Clarity buff's power.

That mana regen is on Clarity (and that other buff, and another buff, and another buff, and another buff and another buff still, and yet another buff (not exaggerating, if you the reader don't count the same number I promise you're missing something. no I'm not counting short term effects.)) is redundant and distracting from game play.

Monitoring buffs is not heroic or interesting or powerful-feeling. And yet leaving that additional [mana regen in this case] just laying on the shelf, eschewing it out of pique, would just be dumb. Choosing fun should not be dumb; wherever possible, the more fun choice should be the right one.
  18. zleski Augur

Consolidating buffs is tricky because while I generally like the movement speed buff from Spirit of Eagles, in some cases, the levitation component of it can be problematic (such as pathing of Tantorlings in the Tantor COV raid, or melee who want to be at ground level).

What I would like to see certain things overwrite, like perfected dead man floating should overwrite and block perfected levitation because DMF provides extra benefits.
  19. Warpeace Augur

Why does Enchanter haste not override Shaman haste:(, Buff slot lost if you don't manually click it off.
    Elyssanda likes this.
  20. Accipiter Old Timer

Wizard rune
    WIzard familiar
    Kitty crack
    Druid skin

I'm still short two. I assume Greater Concentration pots don't count (and aren't available anyway on live?). What else?