Loot Etiquette - when does loot stop belonging to your group?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Tren, Aug 13, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

Nope. Only 2 times in many years have I had anyone loot corpses I killed without asking. Then there are a few who asked and I let loot. Most of my rots go to guild members who come to loot the item. Really not fun if some idiot just comes by and grabs stuff.

I get some of you don't bother with your loot but please stop suggesting folks should run into any camp and just loot because that is the normal way of things. For most of us it is not. Totally cool that is is for you but common sense says suggest folks ask first. That way no one is pissed. Very simple... just ask.

P.S. when asking a group I would ask the tank usually if someone is boxing a team they are on the tank a lot. Not always but best chance for your tell to get noticed.
  2. sieger Augur

What is your experience that justifies saying "for most of us it is not"? Do you assume you speak for most of the EverQuest player base when you say that? How many servers have you played on? I've done 3 TLPs and played extensively on FV for a number of years, and play on Bertoxx now. In my experience the vast majority of people leaving loot on corpses do not want the loot, and it is common practice to loot it.

Here's the simple truth--the game is made in a certain way, loot left on an unlocked corpse was intended to be looted by whomever loots it. Period. If it was intended to not be looted by anyone but the person who killed the mob, the game would be designed so that loot never automatically unlocks to everyone. That is not how the game was designed.

You participate in a social convention that you and your guild recognize, but it is one that is foreign to me. That doesn't mean it is right or wrong, but it does mean it is not a universal norm. The only universal norm is the one created by the game's developers, which is that unlocked loot can be looted by anyone. FWIW if you want to give rot loot to your guild the best way to do so is to leave it in Advanced Loot until that person has arrived to loot it.
    Ssdar likes this.
  3. Captain Video Augur

This exact same argument raged when the Advanced Loot system was first introduced, and there was never any resolution then, either.
  4. Tappin Augur

There’s nothing to resolve. You ask the persons that killed the mob if you can loot the corpse. That’s how the community has always rolled and there’s nothing that changed.
    Stymie, Flatchy and Nennius like this.
  5. Skrab East Cabilis #1 Realtor

Open corpses are fair game. Always been the number one rule.
  6. Windance Augur

I think you said the magic phrase. You've come from TLP's where "its common practice" to loot it.

Perhaps that's why the TLP's appear to be so toxic to those of us who just read about them here on the boards.
  7. Sir Catman New Member

This thread is about Etiquette. The game does have mechanics in place to help move loot with the advanced loot system. If you want to argue about those, go make a thread about it and argue it there.
    This thread is asking how we as a community play and react to things that dont belong to them. It seems like most of the people here telling you to use the adv loot system are trying to hide behind it. They have no moral fiber. They have no etiquette.

For those of us in this thread from the server the incident happened on, We know there was more to it than rotting corpses. The issue at hand is yes a player manually unlocked a corpse for an alt to loot. The corpse did not time out. The guy who killed the named did it intentionally to pass it to an alt.

The guy who took the ring was hanging around and popped on the corpse before the killer could tab over.
    They were not AFK game playing. The person who took the loot never asked to loot. The guild that person belongs to then had another group come in to intentionally pull the trigger/named over the person who was camping there (Again, clearly not afk since they were typing in a general channel.) The guild these people belong to came from a TLP server and are in general a bunch of toxic refuse.

They dont have a problem stealing named or loot, but they have a big problem with name calling. How odd of a special snowflake they have to be.

In this day and age, yes there is tons of loot rotting. But have some form of Etiquette or moral self. Ask. It goes a long way. In my kills, if you ask for loot rights, you will often be top of the list and directly asked if you need next rots.
  8. Skrab East Cabilis #1 Realtor

It's a RPG, and I'm aligned Chaotic-Neutral. It looks others are that way too.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.