Expansion sale

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by demi, Aug 8, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

This will depend on how things went last year when they only knocked off 25% compared to other years. In 2 months time players will be getting CoV for free with the next expansion preorder.

Only Daybreak have the figures and know which is the best strategy.
  2. Fenthen aka Rath

The price per zone / price per content has gone WAY UP. We used to get a fair amount of content, new zones etc. In the past 5 years we have had 1 expansion with new zones?

There was a drastic drop during Rain of Fear, when they canned a lot of content creators and developers.
    RoF T1-2 were amazing. Great story spinning off HoT+VoA, awesome content, like 6 new zones and 4 reused Velious zones. Then they fired staff. T3 was 2 zones, T4 was 1 giant zone all painted purple.

CotF was 6 zones plus Void for a raid? A big lack of story line that anyone really cared about. No more tiers, and they really spaced out the content to make it last longer.

TDS: New content, new zones
    TBM: New zones, duplicated to make it feel bigger than it really was
    EoK: No new zones
    RoS: No new zones
    TBL: New zones, big tier and flagging system that we haven't seen in many many years
    ToV: No new zones
    CoV: No new zones

What happened in TBL that we got new content? Why can't we see that again?
  3. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

EoK we had Korshar Lab & Gates of Korshar
    RoS we had Gorowyn

TBL was the best expansion in recent years for new zones by a several miles. I had high hopes for ToV & CoV having at least 1 new zones but sadly we only got revamps. :(
  4. Fenthen aka Rath

You're right, I forgot about those, as small as they are. The rest of the expansion was Kunark copy/paste though. =/
    Yinla likes this.
  5. Razorfall Augur

Agreed. Unfortunately, between the boneheaded progression and the introduction of GMM, the expansion is pretty much worthless (outside of a few pieces of gear and the jann illusion).

It's a shame too because the zones and lore for TBM were probably the best they have been for a long time.
    Nennius, Elyssanda and Yinla like this.
  6. Svann2 The Magnificent

No it really wasnt copy/paste. The zones were redone. Nothing was copied.
  7. Hekaton Augur

also lceanium too
  8. chronicler Augur

Except lce is a quarter of dreadlands so do not count as new
    Yinla likes this.
  9. Accipiter Old Timer

Pretty sure most EQ players aren't destitute.
    Stymie, Nennius and Elyssanda like this.
  10. Accipiter Old Timer

To quote Pink Floyd, "Are you feeling OK?"
  11. Alena Elder

Me too. I was so happy to see that 50% offer. I used them for all my fun and "anti-burn-out" alt accounts. I paid ALL my alt accounts with that offer and I would do it again. They raised the price to the 25% offer. I bought last year not a single one. No money from my side anymore, it would be the same case.

Why buying the old instead of the new xpac? Because people who play on live servers and have a couple of accounts pay a lot of money and don't need the latest for an alt. These are always a bit behind in gear and level. And more accounts sum up quit a bit.

If I would only play one account I would always buy the latest on gold (which I do with the main every year nevertheless)....

So I am in the same boat. Most posting here don't consider that people can have more accounts an live server only and that sums up... if DGB wants to have my money the should consider give a nice incentive and 25% means: 8 bucks are no difference...
    Veteran_BetaTester likes this.
  12. yepmetoo Abazzagorath

I find it much more likely that people that don't buy it if at 25% off then just hold off and buy the next expansion at full price to get "2 for 1" and end up giving them the same amount over time as if it was 50% off.
  13. demi Augur

accept for those that have 3+ more accounts .. I still wouldnt buy the current expansion on my alt accounts unless they were on sale from the 35 bucks .. I dont mind if my 3rd+ accounts are F2P for life and never buy the expansions .. only reason i buy the expansions on those accounts is cause they are on sale for $15 bucks makes it worth it to buy 2 - 6 accounts that way .. otherwise I dont care if they remain F2P .. my main 2 accounts i have that stay all access i'll buy the basic expansion for them but i wont buy the premium or collector's unless they go on sale .. unless its a good enough illusion then i might fork it out ..

so yes , if there is no sale this year or only 25% i will not be buying it for my other 6 accounts ..
  14. Tappin Augur

Not worth buying base version for only 25%. I won’t be buying the new expansion on my alt accounts either.
  15. Tappin Augur

Probably just buy the level expansion and skip the other one.
    Laronk likes this.
  16. Veteran_BetaTester PIZZA!

did you ever buy your laptop you wanted?
  17. yepmetoo Abazzagorath

Don't let the door hit y'all. Never seen so many cheap people.
    Coagagin and Flatchy like this.
  18. Flatchy Court Jester

I guess people are running out of stimulus money! ;)
  19. Bobokin Augur

Why do you repeat the same faulty math that is just as wrong as before? It is $8.75 for one account, but we are talking multiple family accounts, and that does not consider an upgraded expansion to get a guild hall portal for our small guild. It also doesn't include any All Access that is required to use most armor/weapon/aug drops in the expansion because of prestige. Again, we didn't pay any of it last time, and we will not pay it again this time. We are all casual players and have alternatives for our money.

If you do not believe this will affect the hardcore EQ player in the future, think again. Losing part of the paying player base makes it more expensive for everyone else. That is partially why collector's and premium expacs cost so much more than they used to, and why friends and family were introduced. EQ went from just the expac with goodies to collectors expacs for similar goodies. Then they added premium expacs at over $100 for what was in the collectors expacs before. They dropped the monthly sub, but they force that on players with prestige items anyway.

Economic thinking suggests that some people will pay more as the player base shrinks, but that can only go so far, and the EQ player base is ticking away with time.
  20. Bobokin Augur

You mean redone ... again.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.