Loot Etiquette - when does loot stop belonging to your group?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Tren, Aug 13, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Axel Furry Hats OP

"Corwyhn, not to be rude but he's".
  2. Lamar New Member

Does a homeless person ask for your permission when they dig thru a dumpster for scraps? No, because they don't need to, it's free grab just like loot left on corpses...people are also failing to grasp the fact that more often than not on live eq the group is afk automated with a certain program the forum won't let me name and wouldn't respond to you either way.
  3. Cicelee Augur

There is not one single item that a group mob drops that will make a difference for your toon. Furthermore there are no longer artifacts in the game, so if someone takes it there is a 100% chance it will drop again.

And if the toon that is coming for the item really really wants it, they should join the group and help camp the item. That solves literally all issues.
  4. raylone New Member

it nice people like to set rule and expectations on how what things should be allowed but you got nobody but yourself to blame if you set up events that allow others to " take " what not theirs.
    Szilent likes this.
  5. Stymie Pendragon

This could have been prevented by having someone in the group open up the old school loot window and keep the corpse manually locked until the out of group person arrived. I'm fairly certain that still works? That's how raid leaders would protect open world boss loot during rolls and such a long time ago.
    Flatchy likes this.
  6. roth Augur

And so you expect it is ok to be rude for the sake of convenience?

It is still the etiquette of the game that unless the people don’t care, and you cannot assume they don’t, the loot is still theirs until the corpse disappears. The mechanics of the game allow for kill stealing. The mechanics of the game allow for others to loot after the corpse unlocks. This does not mean that it is ok to just go up and do either one without talking to the people already there and getting permission first.

Just because you don’t care, does not give you the right to assume that others don’t care. Communication is key. If you try to ask and they ignore you, then simple common sense says to assume they do care. You can always go and camp it after they are done, after all.

Sometimes I wonder how a TLP server that automatically gave loot randomly per person involved on the kill and left no corpses or chests to loot would be received.
  7. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

The use of the word Etiquette implies the desire to play nice and not offend.

IMO it's a tough life in Norrath....if a corpse is available to loot - loot it. Adv Loot system is in place. If the group doesn't care enough to loot their corpses, then they shouldn't care if dumpster divers are looting unlocked corpses.

But if you actually care what other players think of you - yeah, probably best to ask first. :)
  8. Lamar New Member

"Yeah, well, you know thats just like, uh, your opinion man." - The Dude
    Flatchy likes this.
  9. Gorgasm Journeyman

There's no such thing as kill stealing, there's just the winner of a DPS race, and the loser. Contested mobs/camps happen, and the game also provides a mechanism to settle those disputes: Do the most damage.
  10. Febb Augur

If the corpse unlocks because you didn't set up advanced loot then it's your own fault something was looted from the corpses.
  11. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

Just because it's allowed doesn't mean it's accepted in the community. Can you get away with it? Sure. But don't whine when the community you crapped on shuns you.
  12. Stymie Pendragon

In a post about etiquette. :)
  13. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

LOL. No not 70 or older in RL. 59. Feel free to attempt to age shame me :)

And no not out of touch. I just don't modify reality to what I want it to be. Seems to be you are here bullying and harassing me right now LOL. :)

Fact is for most folks they assume their loot remains THEIR loot on corpses they kill. This is your average group player. Not some raider so rich he doesn't bother looting much if anything. And it is rare for me to run into someone who just runs into a camp and starts looting. Seen it twice in around 10 years. Then there are a few who ask if its okay to loot stuff.
    Stymie likes this.
  14. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

Not a good analogy at all. First you assume that any unlooted corpse is garbage to a group. Is someone coming for it? You don't know because you just ninja'd the item.

IF you want to speak about ONLY automated groups that is one thing but to do the same with a real live group is another.

And MOST groups I run into are not AFK bot groups. Maybe that is how it is on TLPs but on Xegony MOST groups are not bots MOST groups at the very least are at the keyboard. Not sure how we tell how many of those are using software or not.
  15. Gorgasm Journeyman

I think I'll be fine if the subset of the community that cry about intended use of game mechanics not going their way doesn't want to do anything with me. The rest of the game that understands how game mechanics work won't have any problem with it.
  16. Lamar New Member

It's a great analogy. Leaving an item on the corpse is the same as throwing it in a dumpster. If the item means that much to you, invite your alt to the group, have the alt click the corpse, and then assign the alt said item. It's that easy. And with fellowship campfires and multiple ports from the guild hall it should never take you more than. 15 minutes to get there.
  17. Excin New Member

Here's the thing about etiquette, unlike rule of law written down in a book, etiquette is subjective and will be different to different people. I've simply said in my experience across a number of servers, loot left on rotting named NPCs is fair game for corpse divers, and that seeing a new character looking to grab some quick gear run around sifting through corpses is not unusual at all.
  18. Excin New Member

I'm actually not trying to age shame you at all, I apologize if that was the impression you got. I was in your guild years ago on Xegony, before I went and did TLPs instead, then later played live EQ again on different servers. My perception was you were an older person, and that you had very old fashioned ideas about the game that just didn't match up with what I view as the norm that I've seen in other guilds / other servers. I will say a we age we tend to get more fixed in our opinions and less willing to change with the times.
  19. Skrab East Cabilis #1 Realtor

Nah, you’re looking at it in a very narrow scope of equipment. There are numerous quest or tradeskill items that free looting can save hours and hours.
  20. Gorgasm Journeyman

This makes no sense. There is no situation in the game when you need to leave items on corpse for someone in the same group to loot an item. You don't have to roll items off, you can set them to free grab for instance.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.