Loot Etiquette - when does loot stop belonging to your group?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Tren, Aug 13, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. yepmetoo Abazzagorath

15 minute locks only happened with the advanced loot system.

They were locked for much less time before that.

Recall that non-raid mob corpses only lasted like 8 minutes originally. Advanced loot implementation changed all corpses to 30 minutes before rot.
    Smokezz likes this.
  2. Gorgasm Journeyman

It stops being yours the moment you utilize the in-game mechanism to open up the corpse for all to loot, or once the game forcibly does that for you (unless you've taken other measures to prevent it).

The game provides the tools to manage this question, use them.
  3. sieger Augur

It is common practice to leave low value items on corpses for other people to loot, some people advertise this in /gu, /ooc, general or etc. Unlocked loot on a rotting corpse is akin to an item actually dropped on the ground. If for some unwise reason you drop a valuable item on the ground and someone else takes it, the fault is not with the person taking it but the person who has dropped an item on the ground. This is equivalent to the real life concept of a public dumpster. You no longer exercise moral or legal ownership rights over an object once discarded in a public dumpster.

As a matter of practicality there is never a reason to leave an item on an unlocked corpse to deliberately "transfer it" to a not-present player. The Adv Loot system can be used to transfer the item seamless to a non-present player without risk of leaving it on the corpse.

I would say if someone makes it known they prefer you not dumpster dive their corpses, it would be appropriate etiquette to refrain from doing so, but there is no standard that items left to rot "belong" to anyone. In fact the actual design of the game and rules enforced by DPG do not bare this out.

I will also add that people who use slurs attacking people's sexuality and using profanity in response to them looting a rotting item, are in fact in violation of the rules, and can face sanction for that behavior.
    Svann2 and Too Many Praxes like this.
  4. theonepercent Augur

Not true. There's no way to give an item to a specific player if you kill the mob while not in a group. The items will stay in your personal advl until they get left on corpse.
  5. sieger Augur

Maybe this is true or maybe it isn't, neither myself or anyone on a live server could say since this isn't 2002 so no one is soloing.
  6. Axel Furry Hats OP

Then in that case keep it in your personal advl until the person you want to loot it arrives.
    Nennius likes this.
  7. Excin New Member

In that rare circumstance I'd also say you should tell any lingering dumpster divers not to take the loot, and etiquette would dictate they not do so. On all the servers I play on people commonly leave loot for randoms on corpses, it's normal.
  8. theonepercent Augur

Doesn't change the fact at some point you have to leave it on corpse giving other people the chance to steal it.
    Corwyhn Lionheart likes this.
  9. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

Loot belongs to the group that spawned and killed a named period. Whether the corpse gets unlocked or not. Anyone showing up that was not invited to touch the loot should not touch the loot. Period.

At least that is how I play and how many on my server play. If you are talking TLP I can see it as those servers have a very high GREED factor especially when they start up.
  10. Tappin Augur

Who goes up to a corpses with group next to it, and loots an item? Go join a raid guild and loot an item without rights after the corpse unlocks. Please come back here and report your findings. Back in the day, we had way of dealing with people like this... you would never see a group again...
  11. Lamar New Member

Reeeeeeee

You all care about pixels too much
  12. Lamar New Member

Crying about a t1 ring for 4 days is a proportional response when the person it was "stolen" from looted another one 30 minutes later. Please move on with your lives.
  13. Excin New Member

I play on 2 TLPs and 5 live servers off and on...on literally all of these servers it is extremely common people just leave loot on group named when it rots. This isn't 1999 or even 2003, the situation you're talking about has no bearing on modern day EQ. Advanced Loot didn't exist back then, but it's been in the game for almost 7 years now. Also no one would confuse a situation like an old school open world raid with group rot loot--on most servers especially this late in expansion only very specific augs are very valuable off of most named, so it is highly normal for people to rot the rest of the items. I regularly have people loot items out of my camps and have never thought twice about it.

And Corwyhn, not to be rude but he's well known for being deeply out of touch with modern EQ (he is like 70 in real life if not older), what he's talking about is how people may have played back 20 years ago but not anymore. People that adhere to weird community standards that are out of sync with the technical reality of modern EQ and who then harass and bully other players as gatekeepers are why live EQ is such an unfriendly proposition for most gamers.
  14. Axel Furry Hats OP

Corwyhn quoted my comment, I despise TLP and don't wish for anything to become like how EQ was 20 years ago, also I'm in my early 20s. In fact, your comment and my comment are in agreement, loot goes to rot, idc if people loot it, I don't want it. Not sure who you're referring to.
  15. Tappin Augur

You don’t go around ninja looting corpses without asking first. I have played since beta and never once seen looting items from another’s group’s kills without asking first common place. If it was such a legitimate thing, why not ask first?
  16. gnomeboss Augur

[IMG]
    Flatchy likes this.
  17. Tucoh Augur

Sometimes there is valuable, no drop / lore gear rotting on mobs. Good examples might be the shards landing aug or common drops on a mob who has a rare aug or something. A box group will camp that aug for days and kill the named 30 times before moving on and if you've got noobs to gear and are hunting in the area you can scoooop with no harm done to the box group.
  18. Excin New Member

Because 75%+ of random chars farming named in CoV are just robot crews that don't read/respond to text lol. No one I know expects to be asked before you come take trash out of a dumpster.
  19. Excin New Member

I don't see that I said anything to you, so you seem confused.
  20. Windance Augur

If you didn't kill it. You should ask before you loot something.
    Flatchy and Nennius like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.