Test Update 08/10/2021 - Patch Notes and Discussions

Discussion in 'Test Update Notes and Bug Roundup' started by EQ Dev, Aug 10, 2021.

1. Niskin Clockwork Arguer

I don't necessarily agree with you on the curated game aspect, but your last paragraph is pretty on point. The customer is good at pointing out things that are problems, and sometimes suggesting solutions, but not all potential problems need to be solved and DPG has to make that call.

It's been argued for a while now that they should go back and do Hunter Achievements for GoD through whatever it was that I can't remember. Earlier this year they did, and got lots of feedback about things they did wrong. This patch was a lot of cleanup from that feedback. They should take advantage when the customer does the research for them, as much as possible, because it saves a lot of research.

Really, the only issue with this patch is going to end up being the taunt stuff, which isn't much different than the mez changes to Phinny and Dru, fixing something they decided they didn't want to allow anymore. I get why people will be pissed about both of those, but if this was the only way they could fix far-taunt hacks, then so be IMO.
    Skuz, Ssdar and MasterMagnus like this.
  2. Niskin Clockwork Arguer

Please let me know what else I'm uninformed about...
  3. Lemerian Elder

Its level of importance in no way affects whether you are informed or not. Good non sequitur rebuttal.
  4. Lemerian Elder

The line of sight changes to taunt would not have affected far taunt at all. If the devs made the line of sight change to affect far taunt, then they are misinformed as to how it works and are making an unnecessary change that is a negative for many tanks who pull.

It remains to be seen wherther the proximity aggro changes will hurt far taunt or not or if they will just come up with another work around.
  5. Waring_McMarrin Augur

I think it should be remembered that they are getting closer and closer to the start of beta so it is likely that they are spending more and more time on beta work and we will see smaller patches.
    Skuz likes this.
  6. Niskin Clockwork Arguer

I didn't disagree that I was misinformed about whether the rat ears or wine quest was better, I just said it was relatively unimportant either way. Then I asked you what else I was misinformed about. Context, use it, profit.
    Skuz likes this.
  7. Niskin Clockwork Arguer

If nothing else it should complicate the far taunt mechanics. I was under the impression that the hack was specific to the taunt mechanic, rather than just using the existing taunt mechanic while warping around, but I really don't know for sure. Since it's likely they can warp very quickly, this may not affect them much, but if they have to at least warp into line of sight instead of somewhere nearby that could be safe, it could make it more risky.

We still don't actually know if all of the taunt changes are intentional, or if they just meant to do what the patch log said and broke some stuff along the way.
  8. Happyfeet V91 New Member

I think you all forgot to add Robe of the Spring back again.
  9. Risiko Augur

Taunt Change
    I really think the change to how mobs react to taunt is going to be one of the most hated changes made to the game in a very long time.

Look, we all want the cheaters to go away, but what you are doing is affecting the way mobs react to players, and that is one of the things that defines EverQuest.

Mob spawn time, spawn rate, pathing, agro managment, spells/abilities used, and social/faction reaction is all part of a complex formula that makes EverQuest unique from other MMORPGs.

I know people say it all the time, but truly, if you go forward with this change, you ARE finally killing EverQuest. The game will be EverQuest 2.0 (not to be confused with EverQuest II). The game will not be the same game.

I'm sorry to have to say this to the guys and gals that work so hard on the game we all play, but this is a really, really bad design decision.

Remember The Halfling Walk Animation?
    If you don't believe me that this is a super bad idea, remember back to when someone at SoE decided to change the walk animation for halflings because "it was improved to modern standards". The community freaked the hell out. I mean there was just a ton of people screaming that it ruined the game. And... it was changed back.

That was JUST a small walking animation that was changed. Imagine what kind of uproar this is going to cause considering you are changing a fundamental game mechanic that effects pulling mobs.

Conclussion
    One of the major game mechanics in EverQuest that sets it apart from ALL other MMORPGs is pulling mobs. This change is a really, really bad idea. Please think about it.

ps. I could just not say anything, but I have to at least try because I truly do think this will kill EverQuest as we know it. If I didn't say something, I would be upset with myself later.
    Dre. likes this.
  10. MasterMagnus The Oracle of AllHigh

That is the status quo.

And don't get me wrong, it's a winning recipe they have. Churning out an expansion every year works for them. Raiders want it and will pay for it.

This code won't last forever with them yearly stuffing it full of (less than fully planned or at least executed) stuff.

And then changing numbers of things (tuning).

And then a little yanking of ancient stuff, because QoL!

And oh my look at the time! Let's go with the expansion crunch time again! It always works.

This might continue on for a long time, they are really good at keeping this old rig going. I worked at a place that supported legacy code. I called it 'hotrodding a rock'.

At some point you need to stop putting band aids and baling wire on it to barely keep it together, and take the heavy rock in the middle out of your formula 1 car, and rebuild your car to be more like every other car your racing against.

You still have your winning strategy, and winning team, and now you've tossed the millstone around your neck.

Oh but I know, I know, "they would lose all the players in the process". "And no to skipping a single expansion for code fixes" to the rock.

I like what they're selling too, but the factory and business plan are looking mighty janky lately.
  11. Lemerian Elder

And then I did so in my post immediately after. You're welcome.
  12. Niskin Clockwork Arguer

Fair enough, I hadn't read that post yet when I responded.
  13. Xyroff-cazic. Director of Sarcasm

Zaide is using a creative strategy here to kill Phinigel with a single group in classic era at level 50 with no tank. Mez the boss, sync a bunch of mage nukes to land simultaneously, then re-mez. The mages can med up however long they need to, sync up the next set of nukes, re-mez, repeat till he dies. Now it could be argued whether or not this should be considered a legitimate strategy, or nerfed out. I thought it was pretty neat to watch. Clearly devs decided they didn't want this to be a viable method moving forward.
  14. Waring_McMarrin Augur

Thanks for explaining that!
  15. yepmetoo Abazzagorath

I really don't get the problem. Other than no longer being able to target a mob, taunt from the other side of the wall to remain out of LOS of other mobs, to get singles or split rooms, I'm not sure how the change will affect anything regarding tanks pulling. Flipping out over it and calling it the "end of everquest" is silly.
    Svann2, Skuz and kizant like this.
  16. kizant Augur

The taunt fix is good and so are the mez changes to a couple key named. The complainers are just outing themselves as people to never ever take seriously. Hope the devs are taking notes.
    Skuz likes this.
  17. Lemerian Elder

Why is the taunt fix good? And which one? The LOS change would not have affected far taunt, fyi. You believe tanks should not be able to pull effectively, even though they're already limited?
  18. Conq Augur

Tanks have pulled for 21 years just fine, without taunt pulling. My gawd, tanks even get a fade now! And FD potions! FFS, tanks are ezmode if you're pushing the right buttons - and taunt to pull is not even on the top 10 of the "OMG I'matank and I'm the puller!" worry list.
    Conq
    Triconix and Skuz like this.
  19. kizant Augur

Both. It sounds like you either don't know how to pull or don't know how to tank. Maybe post in the tank forum for some advice.
    Triconix likes this.
  20. theonepercent Augur

Ignore kizant, hes just finally realized they're never going to fix wizards and wants all other classes brought down to his level instead.
    Metanis likes this.