Level and stat caps.

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Evertrek, Aug 11, 2021.

1. Evertrek Augur

i like what wow has been doing with level cap and stats. i doubt that EQ will/can do it, but it may make devs life easier if it can be done. after 20 years i'm tired of playing catchup on my main every expansion that bumps up stats, levels, and gear overhauls.

as a player i don't care if my toon does 1bil or 100 damage, and i don't care if my toon has 10mil resist or 5 resist, as long as the stats are appropriate for the pve, dungeon, or raid...

rollback to level 60 and drop all the spells and moves past 60. drop AAs and redo leveling after 60. it's ok for a toon to be maxed out period. all the MMOs older than 5 years old have issues normalizing with todays standards. look at ESO or WOW for some good ideas.

2. Conq Augur

Not interested in playing wow. At all. Not the style, not the ideas, not the people.
    Conq
  3. Sakuraba Augur

You posted this exact post in a thread on the Everquest II forums. EQ and EQ2 are entirely different games; this idea is sound in EQ2 but it will never be done. Here, it would be really difficult although I do agree the magnitude of stat increases are getting kind of silly. That said it's even less likely to be done here.

While I have been on a pretty long break for financial reasons (worse than the ones that keep me from boxing since I refuse to buy six expansions and pay six subs lol), the easiest way to catch up if you are not willing to box, or not able to solo farm things, is to find a reliable guild and socialize with them for a bit. Ask for help every once and awhile, be willing to help other new guildies and catching up really is not that hard.

Take it from a 81 Ranger who finally made level 111 with the help of a bunch of great people I joined.
    Black, Rolaque and Coagagin like this.
  4. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Devs aren't having any major problems with raising levels, Ngreth has basically already covered that and what they actually do in practise.

Great, so if things carry on as is you won't really care, a great point well made......erm.

Your suggestion is to turn EQ into P99 basically?

Squishing levels/spells/aa would be vastly more complicated and a humungously larger amount of work involved than continuing the current trajectory of raising levels by 5 every other expansion. This would therefore be the complete opposite of "make devs life easier" and you would basically be throwing in the dustbin almost 21 years of game devlopment, character progression and spell design - and then all of those expansions would need a complete retune of every single group & raid event task & mission after you cut EQ off at the ankles of character development.

You really have not understood the ramifications of your suggestion.

so in summary.

[IMG]
    Kakgumu, Celephane, Raccoo and 6 others like this.
  5. Sakuraba Augur

Again, this guy posted the exact post word for word on EQ2's forum. "Dropping AAs" is probably the most asinine request to make in EQ1 (though EQ2 absolutely wrecked a good 1/3rd of their AAs while the other 2/3rds are mostly useless).

Rolling back to level 60 and squishing stats here would serve near to no purpose and honestly be actively detrimental. Anyone serious about catching up either 1) Boxes or 2) Does their best to find an active guild to play with. Moloing to 80 is easy enough for most classes and at that point most anyone in the game can group with you.
    Ozon likes this.
  6. Waring_McMarrin Augur

You do realize how long this took to do in WoW right? How fast do you think they could rebalance 27+ expansions and the original content for new levels?

Also need to remember that even if they do a level squish doesn't mean that it will be as easy to catch-up as you think it will be.
    Coagagin and Ozon like this.
  7. yepmetoo Abazzagorath

Dumb. If you are behind now you'll be behind tomorrow. Its not as if the time needed to catch up changes, it just means you are blinded by numbers. Assuaging the insecurities of a small subset of the game is not worth wasting a year or more development time.
    Sancus, Celephane, Skuz and 1 other person like this.
  8. Duder Augur

If it's all the same then what does it matter? Play on TLP if you don't like the 60+ game. TLP is loads of fun.
    Celephane likes this.
  9. Laronk Augur

There's a significant difference between playing a level 60 character and a level 115 character in everquest and the game plays different. It's not just bigger numbers, if you for example got rid of all warrior abilities and aa past level 60 you only have a couple abilities on relatively long timers. It would suck to play a level 60 warrior after playing a 115 warrior with abilities. Lets not mention that the raids are balanced around all these new abilities. I know level 60 can be fun on TLP but then go play TLP.

As far as you not wanting to play "catch-up" every expansion what do you want? You can complete expansions in the gear from the previous expansion. If you do all the quests in an expansion and kill stuff along the way AA's aren't a thing to even worry about specially when you end up doing everquest 3-4 (or 20) times to help out guildies and the randoms in general chat.

I'd say the biggest thing to complain about is how many missions you have to complete to grind currency in what ever expansion so that you can get all your best heroic augs. That can be a pretty big bore. But here's the secret, you don't actually need best in slot everything and the players who do want best in slot everything need the grind.
    Sancus, code-zero, Duder and 2 others like this.
  10. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

^this

I save most of my complaining for pathing & how crap mercs are but this is a good point.
  11. Evertrek Augur

yes i posted the same text first in the EQ2 forum as a response to someone else's similar suggestion. i thought it was the EQ forum; and i liked the idea of stopping the stat and level grind and focusing on story, content, and fun.

by-the-way, EQ had almost nothing to do with questing when it started, no missions, tasks, or even a quest tracker. you leveled via a kill and chill wall group. we pointed out DAoC and WoW had more quests than EverQuest and got the missions and EQ2.

so yes, cap leveling, stats, gear and get back to content, story, and fun...
  12. cadres Augur

I was doing EQ quests in 2003
    WoW was launched (according to Wikipedia, never played the thing personally), in 2004 so this doesn't make sense

I don't think trashing 20 years' of folks' progression would be a popular move
    Just a hunch...
    Celephane, Skuz, Elyssanda and 5 others like this.
  13. Nennius Curmudgeon

Actually, there were hundreds of quests available when I started playing in October of 2000. You are...wrong. No quest tracker, and so we kept track of them by other means. Lots of folks just chose to grind, but that doesn't mean that they couldn't have chosen to do quests. In fact I did several quests to help level. Crushbone belts, etc.
  14. Evertrek Augur

most of the quests in EQ were broken or one misstep and it failed. i had fun with the jboot quest, mythical and such. what i typed above is true, EQ2 and WoW defined the quest to level method at the time. the only way to level in EQ for years (before luclin) was wall groups. and as i stated it took MMO competition and the industry changed to get some form of quests into EQ finally. time to adjust level caps and stats for sure.
  15. Duder Augur

What?
    Coagagin, Celephane and Skuz like this.
  16. Tatanka Joe Schmo

Horsepuckey
    Coagagin, Celephane and Duder like this.
  17. Cragzop Cranky Wizard

Go play WoW if that's what you want.

And stop lying about early EQ. Plenty of quests for xp, gear in the old days. A ton of us didn't even watch the xp bar. We leveled when we leveled as we explored, talked to NPCs, died, etc. Even after multiple expansion releases.

The beauty of EQ is the continual building (albeit in decreasing importance) in the world as you go. And the ability to stop and do every little quest as you go to ignoring it all and just killing stuff. Assuming you aren't top end raiding, there's no set path to EQ. I wish folks would stop trying to change the core of the game I (and many others) love to play.
    Coagagin, Celephane, Skuz and 3 others like this.
  18. Winnowyl Suffering is optional.

I feel somehow dumber for having read this.

There were absolutely quests at the launch of EQ. I have no idea what game you were playing, but it wasn't the same one the rest of us were, apparently.

They also JUST took steps to make way for a breaking of 4k on heroic stats. They aren't going to back that up, just because someone thinks that everything should roll back to Kunark/Velious era. Mudflation happened. They're not going to do anything about it. So I suggest you get with the program, or get off the boat.

If you want to go back to level 60, hop on a progression server and leave the rest of us alone. Or go play p99. Obviously you're not into EQ1. I don't think you've thought thru the ramifications of what you're asking. It's just.. no. Absolutely not. Adding more work for the devs that are having a hard enough time as it is, just so that it can become a shadow of it's current or former self because *you* don't like the way it is is not the way to go about, well, anything.
  19. Kaenneth [You require Gold access to view this title]

I want a Lucky Heroic Corruption Resist stat.
  20. Riou EQResource

They got rid of heroic resists a few years ago (forget if it was cleanup for around when they added Luck or earlier then that)
    Coagagin likes this.