What heroic stats should a 115 Warrior Raid Tank stack with augs?

Discussion in 'Tanks' started by Sage Knight, Aug 10, 2021.

1. Sage Knight New Member

Looking for feedback from other raid warriors (COV) on which heroic stat we should stack with augs. Also curious if there would be a different choice for group only warrior tanks? Thanks in advance for your input!
  2. Axel Furry Hats OP

For raiding go hSTA, it is the best defensively (melee shielding, extra HP protects more against spell damage). hDEX doesn't really protect much against raid mobs, since raid mobs have 100% strikethrough. Same with hAGI.

For group content hAGI & hDEX are both probably better than hSTA, since you'll be able to actually parry & dodge those mobs, hDEX getting the edge because you do more DPS.
    Skuz likes this.
  3. Cragzop Cranky Wizard

Our raid leader Lianeb swears by Heroic Charisma.
    Tropi, Bigstomp, Foaming and 2 others like this.
  4. Wulfhere Augur

hINT / hWIS for spell shielding. So swears uhm erh ... someone somewhere. Those AE are nasty!
    Axel likes this.
  5. Axel Furry Hats OP

Unfortunately warrior DoT & spell shielding don't fall under both hINT / hWIS, they are separate, whereas SKs get both spell & dot shielding from hINT and Pallies from hWIS.
  6. Szilent Augur

This is incorrect. Both spell & dot shieldings are keyed to "whichever is higher, hInt or hWis" for all classes.
    Tucoh, Skuz and Wulfhere like this.
  7. Fintank Augur

Just pick one of the 3 heroics and go all in. It doesn't matter which one of them you spec, the only thing that matters is how you push buttons. If you suck 1 of the heroics isn't going to save you, just like if you're good none of them will break you.
    Hellowhatsyourname likes this.
  8. ptah Augur

While I will agree with Fintank, pick one and stack. That overall edge you seek is small compared to pushing buttons. Lets attempt to answer you question.

With few more questions to OP? Lets imagine that 1 or the others creater super stack. What kinda of raid tank are you? MT or off tank? How ganky is your rosters dps? HOWS THE HEALING BRO?

if you getting 1 rounded? press more keys, focus more on Hsta for the reasons that Axel listed.
    if you are doing ok hp wise and such? cont to press keys, focus more towards Hdex, more proc more agro, I want my dps pushing it and never holding back, never.

Are flipping shield to dual weap agro proc bangers? Maybe your growing into your role and swing a 2 hand sword, IDK. Honestly stack this or that, whatever to pick min max.

Hsta is what base 400 for each melee shielding?
    Hdex is going to more outside of raid content, maybe some will claim dps overall is key?
    Hagi maybe displayed makes you smile?

In theory, as a raid tank, you do have enough HPs, assuming healing is focused. Any edge we get from Hsta, hell we get that from glyph use. I favor Hdex. Would tank more damage with Hsta Yes. I trust my healers unless i die /smile, so to me, agro is everything. I need my dps to trust I got it, so they can crush.

Part time tank, legend of failures, god of sucking less.
  9. FranktheBank Augur

Dex is the only answer. The actual gains on Sta are very small, Agi is even less.

Dex is actual a significant boost to DPS and Warrior DPS is actually huge, especially on longer fights like Arbiter, Tantor, etc.
    Hellowhatsyourname likes this.
  10. Lianeb Augur

Ngreth was convinced during CoV beta to increase the viability of the balanced type 5s he increased them "some" from their original form. I don't think they are quite there yet and could be a little bit better. However, that said I have been running them during this expac. With the standard tank augs most tanks would use from the last few expansion, I top out all 3 stats and Str over 2k and Dex/Sta at just over 2k3.

I find once you hit max crit chance with HDex there is a lot of diminishing returns on DPS, and you can sacrifice some of that "extra" dex to other stats.

So in summary I use balanced augs.
    Incidentally they have the Highest HCha on them also......therefore I stack HCha when someone asks me.
    Gosan Kai, Tropi, Funky and 3 others like this.
  11. Flatchy Court Jester

I basically am a product of the expansion and what I get at the time of my paying. Meaning I have max type 5 augs from this exp but its half AGI and half DEX. Sometimes you just gotta take what camp is open on your play time. I am not a raider so its not that important for me I spect. But please give me your opinion on that set up, It might push me to fill em out one way or the other more as I can.
  12. Sage Knight New Member

Thanks everyone for your time and feedback, it is greatly appreciated!
  13. p2aa Augur

In raids, I assume that your main job is to tank mobs, and you will be mainly in tank groups, with no ADPS support in group. Therefore, your goal is to survive.

As a raiding tank, HSta > HAgi > HDex.

HSta to increase your HP pool. As said, nowadays, spell dmg is huge, when coupled with melee dmg, the only way, stat wise, to counterpart it, is more HP. People don't really choose HSta for the extra 1 % melee shielding every 400 points, but to max your HP.
    Add to this that most avoidance skills aren't successful in raid content, so you will be most of time get hit anyhow.

HAgi, 2nd best stat, because HAgi has still a minor impact on miss % and the hit dmg you receive.

HDex, last, because parry / riposte aren't successful against any raid mob (including trash mob) who Strikethrough 100 %, note that the dodge part of Hagi is also not successful due to this 100 % Strikethrough.

The HSta type 5 augs are nice, because the secondary stat is HAgi, so it's a win / win, go full in one Heroic stat, no point in balancing stat, explaination below.

I used the word "tank", the exception to this Heroic stat ranking would be maybe for SK ? Because HDex impacts also their self healing with lifetaps crit, so maybe HDex is the best one, I don't know for this.
    But for a warrior, this order, HSta > HAgi > HDex, is the one that I apply.

As a grouping tank, HDex > HSta > HAgi

Avoidance skills are working better in group content, so parry / riposte for HDex, dodge for HAgi, and you will miss more with HAgi than in raid content. So 2 avoidance skills for HDex and also 2 for HAgi.

Keep in mind also that normal Strikethrough of mobs in group content, while not being 100 %, is also high. Just look at the numbers of "riposte strikethrough" you can see on your screen coming from mobs.

The reason HDex wins versus HAgi, is because you can do more DPS this way, so a mob dieing faster, and more xp.

Why is HAgi ranking last here ? Because, it's better to choose one of the stat, HDex or HAgi, and go fully into it. Therefore, HSta is the secondary stat to focus. What is nice is that most type 7 augs that are Hsta / HDex combined have also high AC and high HP.

Why choosing one of this stat, and therefore, not balancing your stats ? I'm going to take a example, which is oversimplifying what happens really, but it explains you the concept.

To evaluate your chances to parry / riposte / dodge, your HDex and HAgi numbers are compared to the HStrikethrough number of the mob. If it's less than this HStrikethrough, then you reduce your chance to avoid successfully.

Let's say the mob has 800 Hstrikethrough. It's better to have 1 000 HDex and 200 HAgi (or 1 000 HAgi and 200 HDex), than 600 HDex and 600 HAgi. In the first case, you increase your chance to either parry / riposte or dodge, when in the second case, you reduce your chance to either parry / riposte or dodge.

It's also true that what will plays the biggest impact on your survival, more than your Heroic stat choice, is how you are clicking your mitigation stuff. A tank that just stands there at the mob not clicking his mitigation stuff will do very bad, whatever the heroic stat he chose.
    Black likes this.
  14. Lianeb Augur

It matters little what your Heroics are in a raid. as long as you have decent numbers, that cater to your playstyle.
    You either get smashed in the face for 10 hits for 100k, 9 hits for 100k, 10 hits for 98k....take your pick cause all of them will kill you if your not doing the right things and getting the right healing
    Dex wont help you
    Agi wont help you
    Sta wont help you
    9 out of the 10 times.

There has always and will always be the argument that x more Sta/Agil/Dex could or would have saved you....and no one can prove either way right or wrong in ANY and ALL situations. Hell in most situations with a good tank and healers you could stack wisdom and get by with it.
    The real Sandaormo likes this.
  15. Metanis Bad Company

If tanks were wise they'd be playing DPS...
  16. Hellowhatsyourname Augur

Therefore, the only answer is to stack hDex and dps your little heart out. If you're tanking, you're pressing buttons and doing all the warrior things to stay alive while all the healers are actively trying to keep you alive. We've established that none of the three heroic specializations are really going to make a broken tank whole... so ...

Time to go one level deeper. If we've established that its all basically the same when actively tanking, then what happens when you AREN'T actively tanking? The only heroic specialization that helps the raid at that point is hDex. Kill the event before the event kills you. Nothing else matters.

Go hDex and win.
    Cadman, Skuz and Szilent like this.
  17. Slasher Augur

do neither and pay your clerics to heal better :)
    Metanis likes this.
  18. Metanis Bad Company

Sorry, the clerics all went HDex and are too busy swinging their hammers to heal now.
    Thundersnake and Velisaris_MS like this.
  19. Wulfhere Augur

Those lucky crit heal procs are pretty awesome right? :)
    Metanis likes this.
  20. Szilent Augur

Please quantify "minor" on the impact to miss% - I'd like to know how long your parses had to be to show exactly what numeric difference.

hAgi absolutely does nothing to reduce hit dmg received.

hDex does not impact spell crits, nuking or healing. Perhaps you meant proc rate? That's not what you said, but also it's not what matters to a modern SK. hDex matters to SKs for the same reason it matters to good warriors, raising melee crit rate. SKs heal themselves by melee leeching, more melee dps is more healing.
    Wulfhere and Skuz like this.