Certain Chat Windows Disappear Whenever I Log

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by Erashir, Aug 9, 2021.

1. Erashir New Member

I contacted support with this and their suggestion was to wipe the UI and start rebuilding it all from scratch. When I asked for another option they suggested I post here for suggestions so here goes:

For years, whenever I create a window to hold a lot of the combat spam (most melee, spellcasting and all DS info) it disappears every time I log. It doesn't seem to matter what I name the window or if I have a bit less spam go there. Doesn't seem to matter if I leave it open or minimized. Next time I log on it's gone and I have to recreate it. Whenever I open a new window to recreate it, it seems to assign it a new number between 8 and 20. (I'm not sure if any of this information is helpful.) I use the default UI with no custom mods.

Some other solutions I have tried:

-I always right click and run as administrator.
    -I have tried leaving the window open when I log.
    -I've cleared the log file.
    -I've made sure there is only one instance of EQ on the machine.
    -I've tried making my combat spam go to a tab on the main window instead of its own window. This disappears whenever I log as well.

I'd also be interested in hearing if anyone has tried the "reset the UI and start over" solution too. I don't mind doing this if I have to but would at least like to know it would actually solve the problem.

Thanks for your help!
  2. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

3. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

4. Erashir New Member

I'll try the easy one first. Thanks! Hopefully that will work without me having to delete the UI but it's good to know that if I do then deleting it will help.
  5. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

yeah, I cringe on deleting UI too. But make a back up just in case.
  6. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

I have never deleted a corrupt UI, I rename it then copy layout from it, has worked fine so far.
  7. CrazyLarth Augur

make sure your loging out of the game the long way or your UI will not get saved.
    Stymie and Nennius like this.
  8. Erashir New Member

The right click on the window trick didn't work. When you rename it, Skuz, you open the file then copy all and paste it into the new layout? I will try that and if not, it's time to rebuild it. Appreciate the suggestions. I do log out the long way btw. Doesn't seem to help.
  9. Erashir New Member

Here's the update. I tried the method of renaming the character's UI and pasting the old information in. It did retain the layout I wanted but whenever I try to camp out (the long way) it seems to camp successfully but whenever I try to log back in I get the message that I already have a character logged in and it won't let me log back in without kicking that character out. Clearly, this won't lead to a saved UI. Any other suggestions? Thanks!
  10. Velisaris_MS Augur

If it's giving you that message, just wait a few min before trying to log in again. You don't have to log back in right away to make sure the UI gets saved.