Why would you use I.R.A. in a game.

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Strawberry, Aug 9, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Strawberry Augur

Maybe it's good that Everquest doesn't have much of a European presence, because some abbreviations you guys come up with to describe EQ events, would not go down too well in some regions.

It's like US developers using ETA when describing time in their Spanish and French titles, oblivious to what these abbreviations actually mean to people.
  2. Nennius Curmudgeon

Now I am puzzled. I get the connection with an Irish terrorist group and also it's use to describe an Individual Retirement Account. But what does this mean in EQ?
    minimind likes this.
  3. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Living Legacy: Infinitely Regenerative Automaton (I.R.A.)

Perhaps the person who named it wasn't especially clued up on the Irish Liberation Army.

Did always strike me as odd, though I just assumed as they were American perhaps they weren't especially knowledgeable about events outside the USA - which I know is a gross generalisation but it happens plenty, certainly I am pretty lacking in knowledge about some major USA stuff I am sure.
    Strawberry likes this.
  4. Strawberry Augur

Infinitely Regenerative Automaton

[IMG]
  5. Tatanka Joe Schmo

Stop being a snowflake.

If someone speaking a different language uses an acronym which can be considered offensive in my language, I just laugh about it, or shrug it off. That's how a mature human handles it. If you're Karen, then you get to speak to the manager.
    Raccoo, Aneia, Randel Flag and 3 others like this.
  6. Strawberry Augur

Most companies check abbreviations.

There are 26 letters in the Roman alphabet, 26^3 = 17576 possible choices for 3-letter words. Enough choice to fill a small book with them.

Not ending up using IRA, ETA or PKK out of those 17,000 choices, is not that hard.
  7. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

So Strawberry - did you never look up your name first? :D:D

[IMG]
  8. Strawberry Augur

[IMG]
  9. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Wrong fruit, that's a Raspberry
    Nennius and Svann2 like this.
  10. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

it can be either one .......just like IRA
    Flatchy likes this.
  11. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

I've never heard it called anything but a Raspberry, but since Americans love to basta**ise tinker with the English Language maybe they do.
  12. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

Ah didn't copy well -n just google it
  13. Svann2 The Magnificent

Whats the term for someone not offended by something but complaining because someone may be offended by it (when no one else really is)?
    Chaffe, Duder, CatsPaws and 1 other person like this.
  14. Windance Augur

I'll bite. What does ETA mean in Spanish and French ?
  15. Rylak Elder

Please tell me what's worse? a group that harmlessly use letters and abbreviations to promote a game and a fun event. Or a person who consistently brings up topics under the guise of social justice to get air time, when all they really are doing is trolling.
    Raccoo, Chaffe, Kaenneth and 6 others like this.
  16. Strawberry Augur

Euskadi Ta Askatasuna. It's a Spanish terrorist organisation that killed 854 people, many of them regular civilians. They also did frequent bombings.

[IMG]

(snake behind them is the ETA symbol)

[IMG]
  17. Nennius Curmudgeon

And in our grossly oversensitive age about things sometimes trivial, some have made it a priority over much more important things. On the other hand, I should be careful. it is possible that L.A.G. may have another meaning.
  18. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

Just wait till the next event is K.K.K....
  19. Strawberry Augur

Not using abbreviations to organisations that caused many people to die is simply basic human decency.
  20. Jumbur Improved Familiar

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ira#IRA_2

There are quite a few different organisations that use that abbreviation. Just because some terrorist organisation also use it, does not mean you can't use it for other meanings too.

Terrorist organisations does not get to define the language...

Words can have many meanings, lets just all agree to read them in good faith. :)

I mean, if you look up strawberry on https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=strawberry you get plenty of reasons to ban your username...:p
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.